British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   IELTS exam tips! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/ielts-exam-tips-901413/)

Flyddo Aug 9th 2017 6:40 pm

IELTS exam tips!

So my IELTS exam is booked, seems crazy that after doing a nursing degree I need to prove my English capabilities. Well anyway, I have done several practice attempts and feel OK apart from the writing tasks!

Does anyone have any helpful tips?

Thanks

inkedneonurse Aug 9th 2017 9:52 pm

Re: IELTS exam tips!

You've practiced that's the only tip really...oh and don't forget your passport... good luck

hollynic Aug 10th 2017 8:40 pm

Did mine a week last Saturday and get my results tonight! Ok Tips hmmmmmmm......LISTENING: My only tip with this is to really listen carefully (sounds a stupid tip), its such an easy text if you do exactly what it says on the tin. They try to trick you but as long as you arent easily distracted and don't miss a word it's fine. SPEAKING: The easiest test if you're fluent, if not speak clearly. READING: you can spend too long reading the get to the questions and have to re- read anyway. I found it quicker to read the questions first and then to find the answer in the passage rather then panic read and not be able to absorbe the entire passasge. WRITING: I'm a fast writer but I'm dislexic so struggle with grammar and spelling. There's two parts to this so I tactfully started on the writing question that was worth more points with a higher word count then went onto to the other piece after on the off chance I didn't get finished.

I did the practice tests online before hand 🤚🏻

Flyddo Aug 10th 2017 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by hollynic (Post 12314055)
Did mine a week last Saturday and get my results tonight! Ok Tips hmmmmmmm......LISTENING: My only tip with this is to really listen carefully (sounds a stupid tip), its such an easy text if you do exactly what it says on the tin. They try to trick you but as long as you arent easily distracted and don't miss a word it's fine. SPEAKING: The easiest test if you're fluent, if not speak clearly. READING: you can spend too long reading the get to the questions and have to re- read anyway. I found it quicker to read the questions first and then to find the answer in the passage rather then panic read and not be able to absorbe the entire passasge. WRITING: I'm a fast writer but I'm dislexic so struggle with grammar and spelling. There's two parts to this so I tactfully started on the writing question that was worth more points with a higher word count then went onto to the other piece after on the off chance I didn't get finished.

I did the practice tests online before hand 🤚🏻

Hey

Thanks for the reply.

I think it will be the writing section that will make it or break it. I am just not very confident at writing academically in a short time period!!!

Good luck and let me know your results!

born_bred_red Aug 11th 2017 4:07 am

Writing exam- don't over complicate what they are asking. I spent way to long thinking some clever answer when really they just want to see you can write clear sentences free of grammatical errors.