Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

ielts english test...help

ielts english test...help

Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

klicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant future
Default ielts english test...help

We are applying for PR ,because the medicals and police checks are still valid (got 3 yr work visa) and the only thing missing for applying is...... I HAVE TO DO A SODDING ENGLISH TEST !!!! Have to go to guildford on the 6th of sept (cost me £100 to do the test!!) and do a 2hr 45min test to prove i can speak and understand the lingo !! I was born in germany and came over when i was 20 , met my hubs and got 4 kids and stayed over here ever since !! Only thing is that i havent got any english qualifications and only had part time jobs and then had my kids and was lucky enough to stay at home with them !!So has anybody done this test ??? Had a look on the web and it looks a bit difficult to say the least... so am abit worried as our future relies on me....to get PR !!!!!:curse:
Old Aug 21st 2008, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ielts english test...help

Originally Posted by klicker
We are applying for PR ,because the medicals and police checks are still valid (got 3 yr work visa) and the only thing missing for applying is...... I HAVE TO DO A SODDING ENGLISH TEST !!!! Have to go to guildford on the 6th of sept (cost me £100 to do the test!!) and do a 2hr 45min test to prove i can speak and understand the lingo !! I was born in germany and came over when i was 20 , met my hubs and got 4 kids and stayed over here ever since !! Only thing is that i havent got any english qualifications and only had part time jobs and then had my kids and was lucky enough to stay at home with them !!So has anybody done this test ??? Had a look on the web and it looks a bit difficult to say the least... so am abit worried as our future relies on me....to get PR !!!!!:curse:
Stay positive. If you have had 4 kids there and spoken english all the time you will surely be fine. Have faith, swot up on the test and take lots of practice tests. Good luck to you.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by klicker
We are applying for PR ,because the medicals and police checks are still valid (got 3 yr work visa) and the only thing missing for applying is...... I HAVE TO DO A SODDING ENGLISH TEST !!!! Have to go to guildford on the 6th of sept (cost me £100 to do the test!!) and do a 2hr 45min test to prove i can speak and understand the lingo !! I was born in germany and came over when i was 20 , met my hubs and got 4 kids and stayed over here ever since !! Only thing is that i havent got any english qualifications and only had part time jobs and then had my kids and was lucky enough to stay at home with them !!So has anybody done this test ??? Had a look on the web and it looks a bit difficult to say the least... so am abit worried as our future relies on me....to get PR !!!!!

sorry, but. Do you need English test if you hubby is a Brit (?)

I think your English is even better than mine It's a bit unfair isn't it? I was born in the UK, but grew up in 4 other countries while I was young and then my parents emigrated to NZ finally (partly I've done some school in NZ), so technically I do not need to take the English test, in any case....(although my English is not so perfect ) , because I am a British New Zealander BUt, When I apply for a job here (a permanent civil servant position, and is heavily involved in Maths), I had to go through written English test , I.Q test and Maths test + 3 interviews They were hard !.... don't even know how I passed all that

Good luck to your test. Make the best effort you can and if you are well prepared, you will be fine. IELTS - It isn't really that hard as you may think. I study English every day - for the rest of my life I just have to go through it!

Last edited by crap coffee; Aug 22nd 2008 at 1:44 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 3:07 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

You may want to pop over to the Aussie forum. Lots of native English spakers have to take the test to get extra points , there are quite a few threads about the test , with hints, tips etc.

Good luck
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

wannabekiwi will become famous soon enoughwannabekiwi will become famous soon enough

Hi Susanne,

I am sure you will be just fine

I am from Germany too and have been living in the UK for 12 years.
We (my english half and our two kids) are planning to go and live in Auckland.
My OH is going over there in October to look for a job as a Test Analyst.

My test date for the IELTS test is the 6th of September and I am a bit nervous too
However, I was adviced to have a look at their official website and study the teacher guides/downloads.
Here is the link
[URL="http://www.cambridgeesol.org/teach/ielts/"]
Hope this helps. Have you got a date yet?

Ich drücke dir die Daumen...(cross my fingers for you...)
L.G.
Steffi
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

klicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wannabekiwi
Hi Susanne,

I am sure you will be just fine

I am from Germany too and have been living in the UK for 12 years.
We (my english half and our two kids) are planning to go and live in Auckland.
My OH is going over there in October to look for a job as a Test Analyst.

My test date for the IELTS test is the 6th of September and I am a bit nervous too
However, I was adviced to have a look at their official website and study the teacher guides/downloads.
Here is the link
[URL="http://www.cambridgeesol.org/teach/ielts/"]
Hope this helps. Have you got a date yet?

Ich drücke dir die Daumen...(cross my fingers for you...)
L.G.
Steffi
Thanks Steffi !!! haha guess what... my test is on the 6th of sept tooo !!! Havent looked at anything yet and MUST get a grip and MUST start practicing......!! Are you going to London ?? I am doing mine in Guildford !! Have to figure out how to get there too!!! I had a look at the Aussie forum (thank you Zoe Bell !!)and there were lots of tips !! Just looks very very confusing !! Looking at the test it just plays with your brain and makes you doubt all the questions and which answer to choose and then my english goes completley to pots...am soooo dreading this !!!!Good luck with the job hunting !!My OH landed in wellington last night !! He starts a new job on monday and i am staying over here ,so my daughter can finish her A levels ( and then i am going over next june )!! It going to be very hard to be without him, but hopefully it will be worth it !!Take care and hope everything goes well for you toooo !! all the best from susanne x