British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Ideas on what to do for a weekend in Wellington (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/ideas-what-do-weekend-wellington-515758/)

waynepfry Feb 20th 2008 7:04 am

Ideas on what to do for a weekend in Wellington

My missus is going to a conference in Wellington and will have an afternoon or so free. She'll be slap bang in the middle and wants to see some sights etc when she's there. Staying near the Te Papa Centre.

What can she do whilst she's there (as neither of us have ever been there before)?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Cheers

irnbru14 Feb 20th 2008 7:58 am

Re: Ideas on what to do for a weekend in Wellington

Originally Posted by waynepfry (Post 5957624)
My missus is going to a conference in Wellington and will have an afternoon or so free. She'll be slap bang in the middle and wants to see some sights etc when she's there. Staying near the Te Papa Centre.

What can she do whilst she's there (as neither of us have ever been there before)?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Get out on foot and explore, always the first thing I'll say to anyone coming here, its a compact city centre, just get some sensible shoes on, head down to the harbour, wander around town, up Cuba St and find a nice cafe to chill for an hour or so and some random shops to look in, Lambton Quay for more shopping areas, maybe get the Cable Car up to the Botanic Gardens, even go to Te Papa itself if its a rubbish weather day and find out more about NZ...but just get out and about, Welly is class for that IMHO :thumbsup:

waynepfry Feb 20th 2008 8:14 am

Cheers Iron Brew - we live in Auckland but never been to Wellington. Good advice - though if Jane wanders around for a bit she might find a pub and that will be the sight-seeing tour over :rofl:

banrock station Feb 20th 2008 8:31 am

Had a fantastic meal in a restaurant called the Green Parrot on Taranaki street .only open in the evenings but big platefulls,my fat belly memory of Wellington full up was I ,touring NZ now and been all over still cannot match that place,Te Papa was a great free experience also as was the walk around the botanical gardens at the top of the cable car .Love Wellington but lots more places to go to on my tour ,good wines here in Hawkes bay but not liking Napier and Hastings ,south island soon Marlborough region to start with

irnbru14 Feb 20th 2008 8:33 am

Originally Posted by waynepfry (Post 5957795)
Cheers Iron Brew - we live in Auckland but never been to Wellington. Good advice - though if Jane wanders around for a bit she might find a pub and that will be the sight-seeing tour over :rofl:

Plenty of good pubs in all areas :rofl:

luvwelly Feb 21st 2008 8:40 am

Originally Posted by irnbru14 (Post 5957871)
Plenty of good pubs in all areas :rofl:

You can hardly walk 10 metres without passing an eaterie or drinkerie in Wellington City Centre..that's one of the many things I like about it.

If it's a nice day, I'd say walk along the waterfront and enjoy the view across the harbour from one of the cafes/restaurants. It's like a smaller version of Auckland really i.m.o.

irnbru14 Feb 21st 2008 8:42 am

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 5963076)
You can hardly walk 10 metres without passing an eaterie or drinkerie in Wellington City Centre..that's one of the many things I like about it.

If it's a nice day, I'd say walk along the waterfront and enjoy the view across the harbour from one of the cafes/restaurants. It's like a smaller version of Auckland really i.m.o.

With less Jafa's :rofl:

waynepfry Feb 21st 2008 5:35 pm

Great - thanks for the advice guys.

Biddy Feb 21st 2008 7:44 pm

Welly's really nice just to stroll around - doesn't take long. Head down to the harbourside at the weekend and there's usually plenty happenning - kids bungee jumping, jugglers etc or just spend a while having a relaxing coffee and people watching.