British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Ideas for a kiwiana wedding gift (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/ideas-kiwiana-wedding-gift-672760/)

Lynda63 Jun 16th 2010 9:27 pm

Ideas for a kiwiana wedding gift

We are going back to UK the end of August to a wedding. Anyone have any ideas for a wedding gift we can take back with us.

The couple getting married already have a home and all the contents. I was thinking of taking something with a kiwiana type of theme but what? would be grateful for any ideas.:)

nelsonpom Jun 16th 2010 9:34 pm

Re: Ideas for a kiwiana wedding gift

Originally Posted by Lynda63 (Post 8637573)
We are going back to UK the end of August to a wedding. Anyone have any ideas for a wedding gift we can take back with us.

The couple getting married already have a home and all the contents. I was thinking of taking something with a kiwiana type of theme but what? would be grateful for any ideas.:)

We got given a beautiful rimu chopping/bread board which has 2 paua shells inserted at either end for dips. Lots of nice rimu stuff out there. :D

grantanddebs Jun 16th 2010 10:01 pm

I'd say something similar to the above reply. Something Rimu would be a nice gift.

:thumbsup:

pestman Jun 16th 2010 10:13 pm

yep rimu would be great if it didnt weigh so much!

I would say take them both back a unique piece of kiwi jewlery there is a huge choice in that dept. and Im sure not many would buy that sort of thing as they will be getting all the standard stuff.Its no big deal to take as it could fit in hand luggage.

add to that a digital photo frame with some great kiwi pics that 'you' take such as scenery etc then they can have that displayed on random pics setting and it will be like living art and a reminder of you! (then when they are bored and forget you they can put in there own pics so a gift that lasts!)

george

Lynda63 Jun 16th 2010 10:33 pm

Great ideas so far,:thumbsup: really love the idea of the digital photo frame if they show it around we might finally get some visitors from the uk.

Jan n Neil Jun 17th 2010 2:32 am

Jan just took some Kiwi jewelry back for a mate theres some unique stuff over here

martyc Jun 17th 2010 5:13 am

Brought home a lovely hand painted tile from my last visit with kiwis, ferns and faintails on it. Looks much nicer than it sounds and sits over the fire place. I think it came from the gift section of the NZ information centre.:)

dorrick Jun 17th 2010 5:17 am

My son and daughter in London love anything with merino/possum mix, socks scarves, gloves as a shield against the UK winter. You can get blankets or throws too- google merino/possum. Some places will post gst free - so you effectively get the postage for the cost of gst and you wouldn't have to carry it.

Kiwiprincess Jun 17th 2010 7:36 am

A merino or possum blanket?

weejie Jun 17th 2010 7:44 am

I sent a set of 4 handpainted glass coasters to a friend. They had a choice of native plants or birds & animals. They were tied with a raffia ribbon and looked really nice. They had larger tiles and bowls in the same style too. I got them in the NZ shop in Dunedin!

Phyl x

Snap Shot Jun 17th 2010 7:16 pm

My husband and I have a lovely kauri wood clock. Could you buy a small one of those for your gift ? It won't break as easily as china/glass. I still have the placemats with nz birds and/or flowers on them.

j19fmm Jun 17th 2010 7:27 pm

OOOOhhh! A box of PerkyNanas :o but that might just be my preffered pressie ;)

Lynda63 Jun 17th 2010 9:07 pm

Thanks for some really great suggestions I think I may go for the merino/possum throw idea but the digital photo frame is still in my mind and the rimu chopping board or maybe jewellery or hand painted tile or ................:rofl:

lardyl Jun 19th 2010 6:30 pm

If you are near Rodney then the Sheepworld gift shop north of Warkworth has loads of the woollen/possum fur items along with some decent smal gifts and the Gekko gift shop in Orewa opposite the ASB has better quality/range of household gifts, but much less wool.....

Good luck - we've just bought nearly $700 worth of gifts from those two places for our first trip home, including the possum, merino, paua and Kiwiana stuff......:D

londonescapee Jun 21st 2010 5:27 pm

Hello there, my husband and I just got married and his NZ friends got us some serving dishes the shape of the North and South Island which are really cool - and make interesting shaped cakes/jellies too! I'm not from NZ but I love them! It's hard, wedding presents, hope you find something nice.