Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

idea on a step by step guide please.

idea on a step by step guide please.

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

kira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant future
Default idea on a step by step guide please.

hi everyone,
i dont want to bog everyone down with loads of questions all at once, so im going to do it gradually. me and hubby have decided it is going to be the bop where we will emigate too, but not sure what part yet
we are going to put our eoi in in about 8 weeks or so (or at least start filling it in,lol).
the thing is as we are doing this on our own could anyone help us form a list of things to do not to do. up to now we are deciding whether to remorgage the house and rent it out coming to nz with the remorgage money or just selling it. also we have 2 girls age 13 and 10 yrs old and cant get my head round how schools work, (1/2 days ect).
anyway ive written down lots of questions lol, i just need an idea on what i should be focusing on bit like a step by step.
hope someone can help
thanks
ki x
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: idea on a step by step guide please.

Welcome to the emigration roller coaster ride

Firstly, have you decided what kind of visa route you're going down...ie PR, WTR etc? Have you got a job offer or skills that are on the long term skill shortage list that will get you employment in NZ and will help you achieve the visa. If so, are your skills/ qualifications accredited or recognised over here? Even if NZ is crying out for certain occupations they do want those skills in a form recognised by them, so registered with the relevant professional body or accredited by NZQA, so it may be worth reading the INZ website carefully and use the search facility on this forum to find other people with similar occupations and the processes they had to go through. I, for example am a nurse, and I had to register with the NZNursing Council before I could have my qualifications recognised on the EOI.
It's possible to play around with the EOI and start filling it in now, it can be saved at any stage and as often as you like...you can then submit it any time you like.
BoP is a lovely place to settle, so I'd say "good choice" but I'm biaised of course. I'm inland in Rotorua, but there are a lot of forum members here from the Tauranga/Papamoa area who can give you loads of advice about those areas.
I came over with 2 teenagers and they've settled into schools brilliantly. Over here most areas seem to have the Intermediate School sysyem, so Primary up to year 6 as in the UK, Intermediate for years 7 & 8, then High School years 9 - 13. I have no personal experience of intermediate schools as both of mine were well into high school age by the time we arrived. I'm not sure what you mean by half days...certainly in my experience the children start school at around 08:45, and finish school at 15:15 (slight variations in time from school to school of course) much as they do in the UK. Last day of the summer term (before the long holiday) daughter's school had a special assembly at 11am and when that finished the school day was done...but that's the only 1/2 day I can recall, so not a problem. Of course, different schools & different areas may have different systems
As to selling or renting your home. That's personal choice entirely. If you keep your home you've got a foothold in the UK that hopefully will slowly increase in value and it's there if you ever need to return. Hopefully you'll also get a rental income from it to help fund your lifestyle over here. But it's a long way away, you'd need good friends or family to watch & maintain it for you because it's not easy to get back. If you sell you have capital (hopefully) with which to buy over here, and to help you get set up. I don't think there's any right or wrong answers on this one...more a right for you decision. And of course, that's assuming that you have the choice, from what I hear the UK property market is in the doldrums these days.... finding a buyer may not be easy.
Sorry I've not given any real answers, it's a long, complicated process, but I guess that moving to the other side of the world is a big decision, and the processes reflect that.
Good luck with it.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:38 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kira and welcome back - I remember you!

You may find this previous thread of some use ...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=list
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

kira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant future

hi tomsk,
thanks alot for your answer we are proberbly going on a skilled visa and hopefully will apply for pr when we are settled my hubby is a carpenter by trade with a hnc and 21 years experiance, hopefully ill have my diploma in psychology (doing my last year now) at the moment im also doing my nvq2 in care as i work as a community carer.
with the way england is going im not sure what to do with the house as prices have dropped and lending is becoming scarce and the buying market has really slowed down but that aint going to deter us my brother in law would look after the place if we did rent as hes a plasterer by trade and knows people if things went wrong.
i did get confused with school times as i was looking at a website which said they had so many 1/2 days which totally threw me, as i began paniking thinking who will look after them if we are both working and also can we afford to get them in after school care ect, so thats a big relief, lol
i will look on the nz website and have a good look around it and gradually look at the forms to fill in, which im sure i can do and if not there seems to be loads of people on here that are great and knowledgable and really helpful
anyhow thanks for your help i appreciate all opinions so back on the rollercoaster of emigration
ki x
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

hi am loolah
how are you, i remember u 2
as you can see im back for the second time but this time im ready to go all the way
thanks for the link its much appreciated
ki x
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 1:08 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kira
hi am loolah
how are you, i remember u 2
as you can see im back for the second time but this time im ready to go all the way
thanks for the link its much appreciated
ki x
Well you are more than welcome. Do your homework. Ask away. Then get your butts over here!!!
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

thats exactly what im planning on doing.
thanks again
ki x