Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I was on World Have Your Say!

I was on World Have Your Say!

Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:24 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default I was on World Have Your Say!

The broadcast was live from Austin. The topic was an intelligence report published yesterday that says that US influence on the rest of the world is waning quickly, and that India, China, and Russia are rising fast in power.

It was very interesting; if you'd like to listen, it's at:

http://worldhaveyoursay.wordpress.com/

I'm on for about 25 secs in total. The same guy that always pickets my local post office was there -- he's the Libertarian who trashes all other parties and is a hardcore conspiracy theorist. He got about 10 secs in. There was a Bubba from South Austin -- only he's English, so he had to restate where he lived; also a Weegie-born lady who is about to naturalise, and many university students. There were calls from all over the world, including one from Afghanistan that was very moving.

A very interesting experience!
Old Nov 21st 2008, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I was on World Have Your Say!

Originally Posted by snowbunny
The broadcast was live from Austin. The topic was an intelligence report published yesterday that says that US influence on the rest of the world is waning quickly, and that India, China, and Russia are rising fast in power.

It was very interesting; if you'd like to listen, it's at:

http://worldhaveyoursay.wordpress.com/

I'm on for about 25 secs in total. The same guy that always pickets my local post office was there -- he's the Libertarian who trashes all other parties and is a hardcore conspiracy theorist. He got about 10 secs in. There was a Bubba from South Austin -- only he's English, so he had to restate where he lived; also a Weegie-born lady who is about to naturalise, and many university students. There were calls from all over the world, including one from Afghanistan that was very moving.

A very interesting experience!
No way....good for you! I only caught the tail end of it today. They read one of my emails on Outlook last year some time....kept my buzzing for like a week
Old Nov 21st 2008, 10:53 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janek66
No way....good for you! I only caught the tail end of it today. They read one of my emails on Outlook last year some time....kept my buzzing for like a week
Way!

If you listened to the very end, I was the speaker who mentioned that China and India subsidise their students' higher education (I had to speak quickly) -- that is, they will pay for the brightest students to study either at home or in some cases, abroad -- and that if the US wants to keep up in science/technology, we need to do the same.

Before the show the host mentioned that he did not want "Atlanta Syndrome." Apparently one of the first shows they did in the US was from Atlanta, and everyone was so excited to be on the BBC that they brought their scripted soapboxes and refused to budge from them to stay on topic. He said that naturally, a very boring show ensued.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Way!

If you listened to the very end, I was the speaker who mentioned that China and India subsidise their students' higher education (I had to speak quickly) -- that is, they will pay for the brightest students to study either at home or in some cases, abroad -- and that if the US wants to keep up in science/technology, we need to do the same.

Before the show the host mentioned that he did not want "Atlanta Syndrome." Apparently one of the first shows they did in the US was from Atlanta, and everyone was so excited to be on the BBC that they brought their scripted soapboxes and refused to budge from them to stay on topic. He said that naturally, a very boring show ensued.
The show is podcast I believe so I will look it up
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

Yep - it is a podcast - one of far too many that I subscribe to