i tunes

Old Sep 29th 2009, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

viv jones has a spectacular aura aboutviv jones has a spectacular aura aboutviv jones has a spectacular aura about
Default i tunes

Hello to those out in NZ already!
Can anyone confirm that if I unplug my computer this end with all the music from i tunes I have purchased "in it" when I plug it in out in NZ my i tunes albums will still be there!
I know they should be but will they be!!!! Anyone done this or understand computers better than me!
I guess I can continue purchasing music via i tunes in NZ?
Thanks Viv
Old Sep 29th 2009, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: i tunes

Originally Posted by viv jones
Can anyone confirm that if I unplug my computer this end with all the music from i tunes I have purchased "in it" when I plug it in out in NZ my i tunes albums will still be there!
I know they should be but will they be!!!! Anyone done this or understand computers better than me!
Thanks Viv
Hi Viv

My OH - who knows about this stuff - says yes they will most certainly still be there.

All the best
Psycho
Old Sep 30th 2009, 9:24 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Viv
Nope!
The minute you enter NZ, Immigration will remove all your itunes content...

Ok Ok ... Sorry! I could not resist...

It WILL all be there! My advise, while we talking iTunes, buy some iTunes top up card in the UK so you can continue buying & downloading UK stuff... I find iTunes NZ rather poor... My opinion!
Old Sep 30th 2009, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Viv
No, you will need to buy a special converter when you get here.

On arrival you need to go to see Dick Smith or Harvey Norman, local purveyors of such devices, now bare with me as this sounds a bit technical but I believe it works.

Firstly you need to purchase two cans of Watties Baked Beans and some kind of thread, preferably one of those modern man made substances like Ny-lon, it needs to be able to be pulled tight.

OK, eat the beans, then clean the tins and drill two small holes in the base of each tin, securely attching the thread to each tin, you have now created your iPhonograph.

You should now head to see either of these gentlemen in their entertainment emporiums, tell them what you have done, after some scratching of heads and stroking of beards they will sell you two things: (i) a mahogany and rimu wooden box that looks like a piece of furniture your grandmother would call old fashioned and (ii) some small wax cylinders.

On return home with your purchases you need to do the following:
(i) place one tin next to your iPod speaker
(ii) place the other tin next to the now open wooden cabinet, the Phonograph as it is technically called
(iii) make sure the Ny-Lon is taut
(iv) wind up the handle on the phonograph and place the needle onto the virgin wax cylinder
(v) run with great haste to switch on the iPod, your iTune will be downloaded along the wire to the wax cyldinder (please note you will need 6 wax cylinders per Radiohead album)

It works a treat, alas its not so mobile unless you put some castor wheels on the bottom of the cabinet!

I hope this helps!

Oh, I did notice that nice man Mr Noel Leeming was advertising something called the Gramophone, but I don't think it will catch on, a bit like this Horseless Carriage that Mr Ford is trying to sell or Moving Pictures with Sound, which I heard they have in Sydney...
Old Sep 30th 2009, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it'll still be there, we had hundreds of albums on ours when we arrived
and they play just fine. tHey're all still in the english too
As a precaution you might want to back em up on a cheap external hard drive
just incase the PC gets damaged in transit.
We didnt but just in case you wanted to be extra safe.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

viv jones has a spectacular aura aboutviv jones has a spectacular aura aboutviv jones has a spectacular aura about

Thank you, you merry bunch and I think you have been of great help with all this technical stuff...I will of course follow it to the letter!
Good to know and somwhere in there is the reassurance I needed!!!!!!
Viv
Old Oct 17th 2009, 6:38 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Our hard drive fried on the container, we plugged it in in Aus it played once then never again. You can take it out computer and take it with you in case on airline and it may survive better than the sea journey.

Thanks Viv
Old Oct 17th 2009, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Good thought I may well do this! Thanks
Viv
Old Oct 17th 2009, 6:47 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Good thought I may well do this! Thanks
Viv
Rest of Computer worked well we just had to replace that and it had worked fine up to the moment it went in the container.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Even if you don't take the hard drive out, I would strongly recommend getting a 2.5" USB hard drive and backing up your whole system onto that before placing it in your hand baggage. Your data will be safe, and you'll have access to it while your container is in transit
Old Oct 17th 2009, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Viv
be careful of automatic synch though, go for manual if in doubt
Old Oct 18th 2009, 1:56 am
Just Joined

jon k is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Viv
They will all be there. just keep your itunes account details. I run 2 accounts 1 for the UK and one for NZ therefore having the best of both worlds.

j
Old Oct 18th 2009, 8:42 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I foolishily let my UK itunes account go and now when people send me email itune vouchers for b-day adn Xmas I can't use them

I think it wise to keep a bank account, ebay account and itunes etc all open from the UK as long as possible. I did not, fool that I am!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I foolishily let my UK itunes account go and now when people send me email itune vouchers for b-day adn Xmas I can't use them

I think it wise to keep a bank account, ebay account and itunes etc all open from the UK as long as possible. I did not, fool that I am!
Just open a new account, you don't have to give you credit card details.

I have a UK, US and Aus one - I buy the US iTunes vouchers online.