Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I think I've made a mistake

I think I've made a mistake

Old Mar 7th 2022, 10:54 pm
Stop, I want to get off

alicerose has a reputation beyond reputealicerose has a reputation beyond reputealicerose has a reputation beyond reputealicerose has a reputation beyond reputealicerose has a reputation beyond reputealicerose has a reputation beyond reputealicerose has a reputation beyond reputealicerose has a reputation beyond reputealicerose has a reputation beyond reputealicerose has a reputation beyond reputealicerose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think I've made a mistake

I however haven’t settled here, and it was all my idea to come, so i’ve never really admitted it to my husband, it would be the end of our relationship. I had loads of friends and family when we left 18 years ago. I can honestly say i have no friends here and I really hate it. I’m desperate to go ‘home’, but it’s all too late as i couldn’t leave my kids here and miss out on the rest of their lives. My advice, for what it’s worth is go now before it’s too late to undo everything. Go home and enjoy everything the UK has to offer, there’s precious little here except some good views. [/QUOTE]

There are some good views in the UK too 😉

16 years on and I have no friends either..a few acquaintances only, no one I’d call a “friend” to be honest I’m starting “like” not having anyone to miss when I make the move back!

I feel for you my friend … I’m going to make it back to the UK as soon as I can… just trying to subtlety convince my 2 kids who are here in NZ to come with 🙏🙏🙏

All the best 🌼🌸🌼
Old Mar 8th 2022, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think I've made a mistake

Originally Posted by alicerose
Wow that’s quite judgmental…I’ve been here 16 years and haven’t made any “real friends” either..I have acquaintances, that’s all.

If I left NZ today I quite honestly could say there isn’t anyone particularly that I’d miss!

I’ve put it down to not being able to connect on a personal level with kiwis, I thought when we first came here that we are similar peoples, my local people don’t get me, my heritage, my humour. I’m sick of being call a “Pom”.

I have 3 adult kids, 2 in NZ, 1 in Europe and I’m struggling living my two girls here and not being in their lives..,as I miss not being in my sons life in Europe. It’s really hard, and no one knows how hard until they’ve lived it.
I'm not arsed about being called a pom. Honestly don't give a jot. I have daft kiwi mates, and introduce them as such to other "poms" it's just banter.

I have 2 son's. Both grown and overseas. One in the UK, one in France, so I do live it. I would prefer them to be here but we are all adults and don't need to live in each other's pockets. I've done my job as a parent and prepared them to be independent and that's what they are doing, it's not a big deal

Last edited by Justcol; Mar 8th 2022 at 7:27 am.