British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   I think I could love it here but I'm miserable :( (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/i-think-i-could-love-here-but-im-miserable-753920/)

Flaggerty Apr 5th 2012 11:00 am

I think I could love it here but I'm miserable :(

Hi I moved here with my work in January to Welly on a five year work visa tied to my employer both my husband and household goods arrive about the same time at the end of this month. I've made no friends not for lack of trying and looking particularly pathetic, i had no probs on this front in the Uk, the people at work are polite but don't really want to know, I've joined a local club of a sport I loved to play in the uk but again not very friendly, I work, spend my weekends looking at the four walls and then work gain, I feel like I'm squatting as no furniture, no car as waiting for hubby to arrive, rented house has no heating but in a lovely Welly burb, am working all the hours under the sun but still not on top of it all, and according to some mangement not delivering, permanently bursting into tears and feel like wearing a sign saying please be my friend YET decided to apply for residency and put in my EOI next week for the draw the week after because Welly is stunning and residency would give me freedom of choice and share the load with my hubby as currently I sponsor him - anyone need a mechanical engineer technician who can fix trains and planes!? Sorry I know I'm venting but if it could go wrong since I got here I reckon it has but I'd really like to give it a go but miss having friends - sad I know.

Teresa Green Apr 5th 2012 7:44 pm

Re: I think I could love it here but I'm miserable :(

Hi

Welcome to Welly, sorry you have had a bad start. What you are going through is normal, i think most people have experienced it at different times.
I live on the Kapiti Coast (there are a few of us up here) and work in Welly. Happy to offer any help you need in settling in, we had friends settle us in when we first moved and it made the process a lot easier. Let me know if I can help in any way.

MrsFychan Apr 5th 2012 8:36 pm

it is all very difficult if you don't have people helping you out and no one to chat to. My husband came over with a job and luckily his work colleagues are very friendly, small firm so I guess that helps. Myself and kids came over in January and the kids had already made some contacts through the people my husband stayed with so knew the hardest hit would be me.
BE has been a great source and I have met up with a some lovely families on here, Theresa being one of them :wave:, and it has made a lot of difference.
Seriously know about living in rental out of suitcases and off camping chairs, could not believe how low I would get not having a sofa.
Where abouts are you? Any help I/we can give just ask x

MOSO Apr 6th 2012 7:23 am

I know exactly how you feel. I came over with my 2 kids by myself and my husband followed 3 months later when he'd worked out his notice in London. They were a very long 3 months, although our stuff did arrive before he did - yet another job just for me to deal with:rofl: I did however meet some lovely people through expats and we have some family in Wellington which helped, but it was a very long 3 months with no support or babysitter:thumbdown:

This website may help. I see they've got an adult only egg hunt tomorrow::rofl:http://www.meetup.com/cities/nz/wellington/

Those of us up the sunshine coast :thumbup: are around if you'd like to meet up

Boopy Apr 7th 2012 4:33 am

Hi & welcome to Welly, I live in the northern suburbs. What line of work are you in? I work irregular shifts, but could arrange a coffee? :)

Flaggerty Apr 7th 2012 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Flaggerty (Post 9990384)
Hi I moved here with my work in January to Welly on a five year work visa tied to my employer both my husband and household goods arrive about the same time at the end of this month. I've made no friends not for lack of trying and looking particularly pathetic, i had no probs on this front in the Uk, the people at work are polite but don't really want to know, I've joined a local club of a sport I loved to play in the uk but again not very friendly, I work, spend my weekends looking at the four walls and then work gain, I feel like I'm squatting as no furniture, no car as waiting for hubby to arrive, rented house has no heating but in a lovely Welly burb, am working all the hours under the sun but still not on top of it all, and according to some mangement not delivering, permanently bursting into tears and feel like wearing a sign saying please be my friend YET decided to apply for residency and put in my EOI next week for the draw the week after because Welly is stunning and residency would give me freedom of choice and share the load with my hubby as currently I sponsor him - anyone need a mechanical engineer technician who can fix trains and planes!? Sorry I know I'm venting but if it could go wrong since I got here I reckon it has but I'd really like to give it a go but miss having friends - sad I know.

Thank you all for your messages - I'm still trying to figure out how to operate in this site but would love to take you up on offers to meet but don't know how to contact privately!?

campervanfan Apr 7th 2012 9:59 pm

click on the left of the poster's name ;)

MrsFychan Apr 7th 2012 10:24 pm

have PM'ed you

Justcol Apr 8th 2012 11:27 am

dont worry chuck we all feel totally out of sorts and billy no mates when we get here
Kiwis are friendly but can be a bit slow on the uptake, it will settle down in time

CathE Apr 8th 2012 11:05 pm

Hi

Sorry to hear it's been a bit rough - it must be difficult without your husband and your stuff, but I'm sure it will get much better once they are here.

My husband and I moved to Wellington last year and I know it can be hard at first. Do you work in central Welly? If you're feeling down and fancy a quick drink after work or a coffee let me know.

Flaggerty Apr 9th 2012 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Flaggerty (Post 9994076)
Thank you all for your messages - I'm still trying to figure out how to operate in this site but would love to take you up on offers to meet but don't know how to contact privately!?

Sorry I can't pm am the moment as it states that adminstrator has limited people to a minimum of three posts before they'll allow it.

Genesis Apr 9th 2012 3:03 am

Originally Posted by Flaggerty (Post 9990384)

Must be really hard with out your bloke eh? Kiwis are tricky sods at the best of times we have been here 7 years and don't have any really close kiwi mates at all, not good ones. Most of our friends are from other parts of the world. Kiwis are VERY friendly superficially IMO.

If you fancy a break from Wellington we are only 2 hrs away in Palmy on the bus and and you are welcome to come up and see Kate and the kids and have a sleep over. Please PM us if you would like to take us up on the offer, or if you prefer wait until the other half is here and come and see us then.

We met a lovely UK couple on here from Waikanae when we 1st got there and have been very good friends since. Kind regards, Dom.

Kija Apr 9th 2012 7:18 am

I'm sorry your experience isn't pleasant so far, but it's probably normal, I know I'd feel miserable if I had come here alone without any of my stuff. Hopefully time will pass quickly and your husband and stuff will arrive in no time. Big moves can be traumatic and having to deal with all this on your own can't be easy. Hang in there, it'll hopefully get easier :)

polly.glot Apr 10th 2012 11:40 am

Would you like to use our place at Rotoiti for a weekend away? You are very welcome! :)

Rosemary Apr 11th 2012 2:12 pm

Hello and a big welcome to the New Zealand section of BE from the Consierge in Spain.

You will find excellent information in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

BE Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font. Also there are Consierges who can support and guide you.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary