Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I think but im not sure

Wikiposts

I think but im not sure

Old Nov 17th 2013, 12:49 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think but im not sure

to be honest the weather is pretty cold where I'm from but I used to love going to the beach all wrapped up in hat and scarf ( sometimes in the summer ), and then going for proper fish and chips and a cup of tea. We would eat them on the sea front. I sound like I'm really old! There is no feeling like daring to go in the water til your feet hurt so much with the cold that you can't walk properly. I'm off on one again.... Sorry.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

stumilburn is an unknown quantity at this point

Snap shot south shields is more a place for a visit in my opinion. Lovely coast line and great walks further up to sooter lighthouse but there is a "slightly rough" element to it also. Anywhere around Newcastle, where the work is, would be ok though. Northumberland to the north of it is the least populous county in England and has kept its history and charm. (MrsF 50 castle sites here. Bamburgh, Alnwick and Holy Island being the pick of them... stunning too.
And as far as house prices go you can get something for 130k to 180k that will be a great home.
I recommend this area to anyone thinking about coming back to a different location. It ticks all the boxes for me.... that's why I m still here!
Old Nov 17th 2013, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
- I get the OE thing and its positive and generally targets the young. I am all for WHV's and experience overseas, but that is a different issue.

There are a good 15-20 people where I work (in their 30's-40s) who feel that way and say the things that I describe. I am just glad that I have the real option of getting out when the time comes.
What is stopping them then, surely they have an option also ? Flying to Aus isn't that expensive.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 5:01 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
I am really interested in all those Kiwis who are stuck in NZ Davros. I don't know any and in fact a huge majority of Kiwis who leave to work and live overseas return and settle here.

It has been and always will be a right of passage for Kiwis to do their OE.
Originally Posted by davros1984
- I get the OE thing and its positive and generally targets the young. I am all for WHV's and experience overseas, but that is a different issue.

There are a good 15-20 people where I work (in their 30's-40s) who feel that way and say the things that I describe. I am just glad that I have the real option of getting out when the time comes.
Originally Posted by Bellasmum
What is stopping them then, surely they have an option also ? Flying to Aus isn't that expensive.
davros is confusing what people say -what it is the norm to discuss - with what people actually want to do or will do. Either that or there is something else goig on with his work place (high dissatisfaction, high number of well trained folk in a particularlypoorly paid industry here in NZ, culture of whinging, etc). I once read a news article from the British press that cited 1/3 Brits think about and plan moving overseas ...

I think there's also the factor that NZ has Oz on its doorstep always whispering promises of a better life for just the cost of a flight there - a lot of Kiwis refer to it as the thrid island and it is considered geographically close, which those of us from Europe find a bit confusing, lol! Of course for lots of Kiwis Oz does provide better pay and prospects, but for an awful lot more it is not a better option.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, without trying to be rude (and that is not my intention either) I am finding it somewhat hard to swallow that people should just accept that Auckland is not a practical place to live unless you're cash rich. That makes it a pretty awful place to live if you're into social mobility and all that.

In answer to your question bellasmum, this is their home - their kids go to school here, they have family here. It seems crazy that they are not able to buy a house here and not do what they regard as fairly run of the mill things. To tell them to leave just isn't as simple as that.

In response to bourbon-biscuit, they are IT professionals (yes we have a knack of whinging.... ), but all of them would be earning at least 6 figures here.

One younger guy has just quit and has moved to Raglan, had enough of how impossible Auckland is for him and his young family.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 6:27 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

but you can say that about a lot of area's. Gone are the days of" jobs for life" and" put your money into property as you won't lose out." Increase in population all over the world has put pay to that
Old Nov 21st 2013, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

oceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant future

Well Mondays interview was an eye opener . My Oh nearly fell through the floor when they told him they were going to record the interview , Strange how these things can make you want to run . Any way did NOT find it that informative and are NOt going to make any decisions yet .
Old Nov 21st 2013, 4:25 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the update. Good luck with all your future plans.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 8:13 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by oceane01
Well Mondays interview was an eye opener . My Oh nearly fell through the floor when they told him they were going to record the interview , Strange how these things can make you want to run . Any way did NOT find it that informative and are NOt going to make any decisions yet .
Very wise.
Not sure why they need a video at all. He's a painter for goodness sake. Mind you , there are some really odd looking tradies out here. My plumber husband not included in that of course.

So. What wasn't informative out of interest.

Did this give you firm offers. Wage rates. Names of hiring companies. Types of visas for you and your family. Prospects to become NZ residents.

What questions did you get answered and what questions were not answered to your satisfaction.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

oceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant future

Well they didnt seem to know that much about holiday pay sick pay etc and she said that it really depends which company offer you a contract , Basically this video goes to NZ and to the companies looking for painters , I suppose if you look dodgy then it puts them off . My Oh looks like a bouncer so the outcome should be interesting They also were not 100% on areas they said most likely Christchurch but there is a chance that they could send him to Dundin or 2 others , They gave us rates of pay which to be fair were higher than here . Also the accomodation that they offer for 2 weeks when you arrive is really for single blokes so we would have to go straight into a holiday let until we had sorted ourselves out . We have said that we will look at contracts etc then decide .
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
to be honest the weather is pretty cold where I'm from but I used to love going to the beach all wrapped up in hat and scarf ( sometimes in the summer ), and then going for proper fish and chips and a cup of tea. We would eat them on the sea front. I sound like I'm really old! There is no feeling like daring to go in the water til your feet hurt so much with the cold that you can't walk properly. I'm off on one again.... Sorry.
Big pet hate like DEAL BREAKER i really hate the cold to the point it could ruin my life
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Big pet hate like DEAL BREAKER i really hate the cold to the point it could ruin my life
Really?

Yet you're still considering moving to Christchurch?
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 11:18 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

check this out

http://www.tourism.net.nz/new-zealan...d-climate.html

but remember we do not have an ozone layer as such so feels much hotter in summer and colder in winters.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 2:23 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I suppose if you look dodgy then it puts them off . My Oh looks like a bouncer so the outcome should be interesting
Can't speak for large companies but normally trade firms here give 20 days holiday pay. some of those days are often needed for the Christmas and New Year as many trade firms shut down over that period for a good two weeks. It is a time when Kiwi families go on their hols.

Normally you need to accrue for one year before being paid holiday pay. HOwever, trade employers can be quite flexible about taking unpaid leave.

You get public holidays but if required to work you may not get paid other than ordinary time.

Basic sick pay is 5 days a year after you have worked for 6 months.

The company may do a 24/7 call out thing. Those hours are also often at flat rate with a one off call-out amount paid.

Some companies pay a small tool allowance. This is not taxed however it also doesn't go into the calculation for what the holiday pay rate is.
The holiday pay rate is a sort of average of your earnings overall and not based on your hourly rate.

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 23rd 2013 at 2:28 pm. Reason: add a bit
Old Nov 29th 2013, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Now we have the job offer just got to agree pay then they will send all the t an cs over next week . Anything to look out for ? Must check about call outs etc though prob not the norm for painters , As far as im aware no van but am defiantly going to check this , I know he needs own tools dont think there is an allowance though , Not sure how he will get on getting a paste table and 3 set ladders through customs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.