Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I think but im not sure

I think but im not sure

Old Nov 15th 2013, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I think but im not sure

When we came over recently I read lots of similar posts, I listened but then thought and now know that there are thousands of Brits that emigrate here and they love it

Good luck with whatever you decide
Old Nov 15th 2013, 6:57 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I see you say you had an offer sometime ago for Australia, Just want to say that NZ is as different to Australia as UK is to say Spain. Climate, culture and living conditions. So plse don't expect it to be a mini Australia.

As for work for trades its the same the world over, once the work is done its done. As for Visa's as it ChCh and agency what type of visa are they expecting you to get??

If its an itch you need scratching then scratch it but I would say make sure you have enough money to leave if its doesn't work out.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 7:02 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

This is how it is for us.... We came here after years of talking and planning. We had not visited NZ previously. We had a lot of savings, rented out our home in the UK and flew over. We stayed in a motel for 8 days. This is the length of time we had to find a house, car etc. we have 1 small daughter. We found a flat for $365 per week. I was . My hubby had a job to come over to. He went to meet his new employer who instantly tried to make hubby accept $3 per hour less than his contract had stated. Thank god he refused. He got his pay with a lot of discussions!

Our savings did take a battering though but we expected this. We had to buy certain things for the house until our furniture came. Iron, washer, Hoover, pots and pans. But it was when we were dipping into our savings for everyday essentials like food shopping that the alarm bells started to ring. So we cut off our savings and left them in our international account. We started to live off hubby's and my wage. It is really tough. We don't smoke, we don't eat out (unless it's a picnic), every penny is accounted for. We don't go hungry, our home keeps us dry but I feel we are existing not living. I certainly do not want anyone to feel sorry for us as it is our choice to live this way. We could quite happily dip into our savings every week and have a great time but where will we be when our savings have gone? We will be trapped.

Also it can really affect your relationship. I can't remember the amount of arguments this caused and the sleepless nights because I had gone to bed crying. Luckily we are out of that dark time and are tackling this as a team. Thankfully we have always had a good strong marriage.

People on here are not trying to put you off coming here. I often wonder if I had found this forum before I came over here would I have still come? Probably. I am just being totally honest with you about how it is for me. There are plenty others that are doing really well. It is your decision. Don't burn your bridges in the UK and always make sure you have that little pot of money put aside for them flights home if they are needed. Can't be any more honest than that.

Last edited by pippalonghorn; Nov 15th 2013 at 7:08 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

livewiresparks is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved to Auckland six months ago with my kiwi partner and can't say that I am enjoying it. It might be worth your husband checking out the place before you and the kids go. Because just in case you hate it, it'll be costly to try and move back.
Nz is more expensive place to live and auckland and Christchurch are becoming increasingly more expensive, especially renting..
Check out a website called Trademe.co.nz and search rental properties by region. It might give you an idea of the cost of living there
Old Nov 16th 2013, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

stumilburn is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not move to England or Scotland for a mini adventure? I know lots of welsh friends who have moved up to Newcastle upon Tyne and love it. Better job prospects and a lot more amenities- metro centre for shopping, pubs, clubs, restaurants, sport and some great scenery up and down the East coast- Northumberland is amazing. (Lots of castles MrsF!)

I have been looking into NZ for 5 years and waited so long that my job has been taken off the shortage list. Visited a friend in August in Auckland and loved it but realised the cost of living would- especially now with housing- is way higher than here.

Over time I ve realised over here is not that bad- quite good actually. If you want more adventure in your life do more travelling around Europe, visit your daughter more. You don't have go to the other side of the world...

Take the advice in this forum. Unless you have lots of money life in NZ could be quite hard for you. And as you allude to, being a grandparent for the first time might change things. Good luck anyway, atleast you have options.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stumilburn
but realised the cost of living would- especially now with housing- is way higher than here.

Over time I ve realised over here is not that bad- quite good actually. If you want more adventure in your life do more travelling around Europe, visit your daughter more. You don't have go to the other side of the world...

Take the advice in this forum. Unless you have lots of money life in NZ could be quite hard for you. And as you allude to, being a grandparent for the first time might change things. Good luck anyway, atleast you have options.
Thank you for posting that, I am really glad there's someone else with their eyes open on here.

Auckland is a great place, but its expensive, all comes down to what is important to YOU in your life. I think some of that is dictated by what stage of life you are in, i.e. if you're a first-time buyer, don't even think about Auckland. If however you have a lot of capital already and have largely paid off your mortgage, there are lots of opportunities in Auckland.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
Thank you for posting that, I am really glad there's someone else with their eyes open on here.
There's lots of us with our eyes open on here Buddy, and lots of them have given you some sage advice, but it appears that your ears aren't as open as you're eyes now are, I'll say it again, get out of Auckland and open your eyes to the real NZ
Old Nov 17th 2013, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
There's lots of us with our eyes open on here Buddy, and lots of them have given you some sage advice, but it appears that your ears aren't as open as you're eyes now are, I'll say it again, get out of Auckland and open your eyes to the real NZ
Again..... that doesnt help people who are in auckland and simply wish to live a 'normal' life here. Telling someone that you should just leave auckland might sound like a great simple idea, assuming you can find work elsewhere, but simply telling people to leave is NOT the answer, nor is it good for aucklands future.

individually for me, it is the answer for now, i am going back to the uk to get some capital behind me. but a lot of people sadly are stuck here, including a lot of kiwi's. for that, i have a lot of sympathy and a distaste for the serial investors who run the government and are sucking the life out of NZ.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

I know lots of welsh friends who have moved up to Newcastle upon Tyne and love it. Better job prospects and a lot more amenities- metro centre for shopping, pubs, clubs, restaurants, sport and some great scenery up and down the East coast- Northumberland is amazing. (Lots of castles MrsF!).
That's where I'd be going if I was planning a next move. An absolute gem of an area. Went to the UK for a visit this year and deliberately flew from Auckland to Newcastle (can be done, with Air France via Paris) just so I could spend a few days in the region.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 5:55 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Northumberland is amazing. (Lots of castles MrsF!)
not somewhere we have been. I'm very fortunate that my In Laws live in Arundel and their apartment over looks Arundel castle and for some time FIL's mother had an apartment in the actual castle, so many a lovely weekend spent just milling around it. If/When we go back and if we can afford it that's the sort of area we would want to go back to.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 8:31 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearskin
That's where I'd be going if I was planning a next move. An absolute gem of an area. Went to the UK for a visit this year and deliberately flew from Auckland to Newcastle (can be done, with Air France via Paris) just so I could spend a few days in the region.
Thats where I am from and returning to next year. Fab place, lovely people and we have the Metro Centre - biggest indoor shopping centre in Europe (with a massive Ikea). Why wouldnt you want to live there.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
Again..... that doesnt help people who are in auckland and simply wish to live a 'normal' life here. Telling someone that you should just leave auckland might sound like a great simple idea, assuming you can find work elsewhere, but simply telling people to leave is NOT the answer, nor is it good for aucklands future.

individually for me, it is the answer for now, i am going back to the uk to get some capital behind me. but a lot of people sadly are stuck here, including a lot of kiwi's. for that, i have a lot of sympathy and a distaste for the serial investors who run the government and are sucking the life out of NZ.
I am really interested in all those Kiwi's who are stuck in NZ Davro's. I don't know any and in fact a huge majority of Kiwi's who leave to work and live overseas return and settle here.

It has been and always will be a right of passage for Kiwi's to do their OE.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 9:50 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
Thats where I am from and returning to next year. Fab place, lovely people and we have the Metro Centre - biggest indoor shopping centre in Europe (with a massive Ikea). Why wouldnt you want to live there.
Because I used to live in South Shields and it's bloody freezing, and it gets even colder in the winter. Regular summer fret days put a jumper on to go to the beach
Old Nov 17th 2013, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
I am really interested in all those Kiwi's who are stuck in NZ Davro's. I don't know any and in fact a huge majority of Kiwi's who leave to work and live overseas return and settle here.

It has been and always will be a right of passage for Kiwi's to do their OE.
- I get the OE thing and its positive and generally targets the young. I am all for WHV's and experience overseas, but that is a different issue.

There are a good 15-20 people where I work (in their 30's-40s) who feel that way and say the things that I describe. I am just glad that I have the real option of getting out when the time comes.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 11:39 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
I must admit, I'm curious about life in South Shields. Not that bothered about summer. I'm fair skinned and, for me, I sometimes find summer, especially in NZ, to be a chore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.