Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I think but im not sure

I think but im not sure

Old Nov 13th 2013, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think but im not sure

Originally Posted by jmh
I think it was free under 18? Not sure of my facts though. And of course no 'voluntary' school fees and free university education with bursarys. Ahh, the good old days eh?

You might be right. Can't remember paying for the doctor, though... and never for the countless hospital appointments. And yes, bursaries and a bunch of other things too. Showing my age.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceane01
Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated , I have checked out costings etc and looks pretty much the same as here ..... Help !!!!
Its exciting, but you really really need to do your research.

Look at the costs of housing, cars, food, stuff you'll need for a house, i.e. paint/wallpaper, diy materials, clothes, any sports gear, gear for kids etc.

I think you will be staggered, just staggered at some of the costs here compared to the UK, especially if you live in Wales and want to buy a house here!
Old Nov 13th 2013, 7:12 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garethwm
Working on a 2:1 exchange rate, a person on the UK minimum wage gets 26249 dollars a year and takes home 20667. A minimum wage in NZ will earn you 28600 and you will take home 24088 if you dont pay anything into kiwisaver. Overall you pay less income tax in NZ compared to UK especially in higher income brackets.
you are giving out an unrealistic view, the exchange rate is not 2:1. and hasn't been for some time. You also get tax relief in the UK on pension contribution and you don't get that here for the Kiwisaver
Old Nov 13th 2013, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

oceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant future

Thank you so much for all of your input it is so hard and the biggest keep me here is my daughter and her husband and my grandaughter due 16th January . I was 16 when i had Lauren and it was hard enough her moving to Scotland when she got married ,though maybe in the long run it will help . We talked for hours last night and i have agreed to give it a go on the condition that if its not working we come home , Also i am going nowhere until at least February so i know baby is here and they are all safe .So now my long long list of questions .

Do we get a container to take furniture / appliances over or buy over there ?
If take what are the prices like on containers ,

Weather : There are so many conflicting stories like the highest temp in summer is 27 etc , winter is -15 so facts would be good .
We will be heading to Christchurch so honest advice on areas would be good , My children ages 9,5 and 7 are used to living in a little village so dont want to shock them too much
Earth quakes : This is a real worry for me so please give me some reality .
Schools , What are start and finish times and what is this about voluntary contributions ?
Work for me is a hard one as i am a sheltered scheme manager (The old warden) i can do most admin and have done a lot of sales too but would also quite happily work in a cafe . Would i even be allowed to work ??
Sorry over load i know and i have lots more so please help . Thank you so much Julie
Old Nov 13th 2013, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

oceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant future

Oh yes and hubby wants to take his van and car ... seriously !!! did anyone else ship these ??
Old Nov 13th 2013, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by davros1984
Its exciting, but you really really need to do your research.

Look at the costs of housing, cars, food, stuff you'll need for a house, i.e. paint/wallpaper, diy materials, clothes, any sports gear, gear for kids etc.

I think you will be staggered, just staggered at some of the costs here compared to the UK, especially if you live in Wales and want to buy a house here!
We will rent our house for £750 a month here so would just need to put the extra to rent over there , wouldnt look at buying for at least a year , We have a 4 bed dormer bungalow over here , what is the price comparison over there to that ? Thanks
Old Nov 13th 2013, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Would you at least give it a go and come with an open mind ?

My view on NZ hasn't changed, personally it's as disappointing as it's always been. That, however, is just my personal opinion.

When is your grandchild due ? Things would have to move at lightning speed for you to be in NZ by Christmas.

So, realistically, you probably would not be in NZ until early 2014 ? Who says it's forever anyway ? Like I said, have an open mind.
I have agreed to give it a go , Dont want to live with the what ifs for ever . Baby due the 16th Jan so i wont leave till Feb at earliest even if Chad wants to go first thats fine .
Old Nov 13th 2013, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me that you are being pushed into this when you would rather stay put in UK? The UK Government can be kicked out on 7 May 2015 - the NZ one is pretty similar so 'frying pan' and 'fire' come to mind.

How easy would it be to get back your job as a warden of a sheltered housing scheme if you returned? Not selling your UK house is wise, as it makes return easier but the whole scheme could be an expensive mistake. It sounds like your husband needs to change his terms of business to improve his lot in UK. Are the earnings in NZ guaranteed or is it just an indication of what he might earn?

Do we get a container to take furniture / appliances over or buy over there ?
If take what are the prices like on containers ,
Most people say a family of 4 costs £12k just to legally get to NZ with all their wordly goods.

Weather : There are so many conflicting stories like the highest temp in summer is 27 etc , winter is -15 so facts would be good .
We will be heading to Christchurch so honest advice on areas would be good , My children ages 9,5 and 7 are used to living in a little village so dont want to shock them too much
The weather is better when it is good (more sunshine) and worse when it is bad (stormy); but still pretty similar on the whole it is not Australia. South island tends to be colder in Winter than North Island.

Earth quakes : This is a real worry for me so please give me some reality .
So why would you move to an earthquake zone and why would you go to the site of a recent earthquake problem? I still wake up in the morning glad that I no longer feel earth tremors.

Work for me is a hard one as i am a sheltered scheme manager (The old warden) i can do most admin and have done a lot of sales too but would also quite happily work in a cafe . Would i even be allowed to work ??
Sorry over load i know and i have lots more so please help . Thank you so much Julie
If you have the proper visas, you would be able to work. There are many hidden costs in the cost of living as compared to UK as MrsFychan has pointed out. These are not to be dismissed lightly when comparing: no tax free allowance - annual fees for state schools of a couple of hundred dollars a year, charges to visit your GP for most things, expensive dental as not subsidised by NZ Government for adults, GST charged on food, etc etc.

Presumably you want to see your daughter and Grandchildren again? How would you arrange this? As annual leave in NZ tends to be much lower than UK and airfares out of NZ cost more than airfares in (I am told). Would you be able to save enough from salary to fund return visits to UK? Many think they will be able to then find they can't and only return every 5 years of so or for significant funerals.

Financially could be a disaster given high rentals in Christchurch and high property prices in NZ generally. There are also pension implications to moving. Can you tell, I'd be lobbying against in your shoes, particularly if you enjoy your job.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Do have a look on TradeMe for properties to rent /buy. The rental quoted is per week not per month and most properties lack central heating and can be damp and expensive to heat.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/property
Old Nov 13th 2013, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Hmm all the negatives that you have just stated are my worries . Apart from my daughter no other family keeping us here , Its a bit of a ... If we dont try it we will never know i suppose . We had estimated 15 k to move so were not unrealistic there i suppose .
Old Nov 13th 2013, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered what would happen if he likes NZ and you don't? I think it would be wise to talk this through before going.
Have a look at the prices for plane tickets back to the UK. I assume you would want to see your daugther and grandchild every...what...3 years or so? If you would like to fly with your whole family there will massive costs. Break down the cost of plane tickets and calculate how much money you will need to put aside per month to pay for plane tickets.
Also keep a few thousand pounds in your bank account - for the possible move back. Otherwise you might end up being stuck in NZ.

Last edited by Assanah; Nov 13th 2013 at 5:20 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 6:13 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

earthquakes, well yes there is that and even the small ones can be scary. A new fault line has opened up in Seddon and is having a merry little dance with Mother Nature and has been for some months. NZ sits on fault lines everywhere so you are never going to be on a non earthquake area. Insurance in ChCh is going to be high because of earthquakes and as far as I have read rentals are expensive and few and far between. You would need to move a little way out to find somewhere.
Make a separate thread for ChCH rentals and I am sure that people will advise the best they can. Unfortunately it does seem neigh on impossible to rent before you arrive. Please also be aware that there is nothing like double glazing you are used to in the UK, central heating is not something most places have, where we live there is no piped gas so no central heating possible. Weeping windows is another problem so if you can make sure you check that they have some form of what they call double glazing (which really isnt).
We call our house a deluxe shed because quite honestly that is what it is. We have installed heat pumps, electric fan heaters basically, and have bought electric blankets which obviously racks up the electric bill but I will not be cold.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Assanah
Have you considered what would happen if he likes NZ and you don't? I think it would be wise to talk this through before going.
Have a look at the prices for plane tickets back to the UK. I assume you would want to see your daugther and grandchild every...what...3 years or so? If you would like to fly with your whole family there will massive costs. Break down the cost of plane tickets and calculate how much money you will need to put aside per month to pay for plane tickets.
Also keep a few thousand pounds in your bank account - for the possible move back. Otherwise you might end up being stuck in NZ.
Yes we have both agreed that we will at least 6 mths , And plan on keeping money behind to get home in emergency etc , If all kids and chad were happy over there i would give it a good go , All decisions will be family ones , You watch he will hate it and i will love it
Old Nov 13th 2013, 6:20 pm

6mths is no time to be making final decision as you would still be in honemoon period and not taken all the seasons of the year into account. and a lot of money to move for a final decision to be made in such a short time. I have said I will give it til we can gain citizenship for the kids, takes 5 years. and then look at it but at this stage 20mths in my mind and heart tells me its not for me in my dotage but we will have to see what happens once the 5 years is up. really can't see myself diving under tables when I am old decreped
Old Nov 13th 2013, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

The strange thing is that most people on here seem to accept the earth qukes as just a way of life now , Maybe we are far to pampered here in the uk , I mean last year we had an inch of snow and the school was closed :S We dont seem to be able to deal with anything here . Your right i am probably just stamping my authority by saying 6 mths as i realise this is unrealistic, And i cannot afford 15 k every 6 mths either . So now we have made the decision (Only took 2 years ) It is all kind of going really quickly so in a but of a flap now , Also just realised all of the xmas presents i have bought the kids should really of been rethought !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.