British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   I.T. Contacts Anyone??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/i-t-contacts-anyone-691342/)

Shingi Oct 28th 2010 4:00 pm

I.T. Contacts Anyone???

Hi there, just wondered if anybody has any I.T. contacts for my OH. He's an ICT Manager currently working for a construction company. We'll be heading out in January to the South Island. If anyone can give me any contacts which you think might help with his job hunting it would be greatly appreciated.:thumbup:

rogercruse Oct 30th 2010 8:20 pm

Re: I.T. Contacts Anyone???

Originally Posted by Shingi (Post 8947890)
Hi there, just wondered if anybody has any I.T. contacts for my OH. He's an ICT Manager currently working for a construction company. We'll be heading out in January to the South Island. If anyone can give me any contacts which you think might help with his job hunting it would be greatly appreciated.:thumbup:

Hi,
Most IT jobs are advertised on online at www.seek.co.nz or www.trademe.co.nz.

I suggest he contacts a couple of the agencies with jobs that sound interesting and then describe in detail your plans, your visa status, why you chose NZ and when you'll be travelling.

Don't expect more than a "thank you, but" response unless your OH is a perfect match as agencies get of lot of enquiries from overseas from people "window shopping". Don't worry about this, just keep in touch with them and send regular updates of your progress.

On arrival. As the job market in NZ is more touchy-feely than the UK, suggest that you'll drop by (most agents are based in the CBD of wherever you've decided to move to) and be prepared to tell them your plans again (you'll remember them but they won't).

Don't forget to get a local pay-as-you-go SIM card for your phone and put each agents details in.

Good luck!

LucyS Nov 4th 2010 12:20 am

Re: I.T. Contacts Anyone???

Originally Posted by Shingi (Post 8947890)

As rogercruse says IT jobs generally get advertised on Seek, but they are predominantly still via an agency. It's definitely worth calling a few up and going to meet them, as that will give your OH an idea of the market and salaries. However he shouldn't assume that just because they have his details and have met him they will consider him for a job - they won't. So if one is advertised through an agency he has already met, he will still need to apply for that specific job.
In my experience (job hunting in IT here for the second time in 2 years), the agencies here are terrible - much worse than UK recruitment agencies! Once you apply if the outcome is negative (i.e they decide not to put you forward, or the company doesn't want to see you), most will not bother to tell you. If you email your CV they will not acknowledge it, if they say they will call and let you know an update - yeah you've guessed it, they won't!
Jeez it's infuriating