British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   I really really love NZ!!!!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/i-really-really-love-nz-596529/)

Genesis Mar 10th 2009 1:33 am

I really really love NZ!!!!!!!

Had my rant about service last week now a positive vibe. I sooooooooooooooooooooooooo love living here, not because things are going really well at the moment..think I have more problems than ever at the moment one way or another BUT NZ in my opinion is the best place to be in spite of all its problems and those problems we have had personally as the Genesis family. NZ makes me smile. NZ is a really weird AND wonderful place to be. Our lovely kids are doing so well and they have so much on their doorstep and within our section. NZ has way surpassed all our dreams, the empty beaches the endless things to do and the lovely people, okay their driving and aftersales service sucks but in the big scheme of things I guess we can live with that. Kate is doing a masters within palliative care and she adores her new career. The weather's lovely and we might get back 2% (yes 2%..we have already chosen the boats and baches we will buy with this staggering payment) of our capital from Hanover next week...how good does life get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?? NZ is very much floaty my boaty...sounds like Lufakkin innit Browner???

Browner_ Mar 10th 2009 2:44 am

Re: I really really love NZ!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 7362034)
Had my rant about service last week now a positive vibe. I sooooooooooooooooooooooooo love living here, not because things are going really well at the moment..think I have more problems than ever at the moment one way or another BUT NZ in my opinion is the best place to be in spite of all its problems and those problems we have had personally as the Genesis family. NZ makes me smile. NZ is a really weird AND wonderful place to be. Our lovely kids are doing so well and they have so much on their doorstep and within our section. NZ has way surpassed all our dreams, the empty beaches the endless things to do and the lovely people, okay their driving and aftersales service sucks but in the big scheme of things I guess we can live with that. Kate is doing a masters within palliative care and she adores her new career. The weather's lovely and we might get back 2% (yes 2%..we have already chosen the boats and baches we will buy with this staggering payment) of our capital from Hanover next week...how good does life get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?? NZ is very much floaty my boaty...sounds like Lufakkin innit Browner???

Sounds like they grow some good grass for you to smoke up there.

Ive just been turned down for my 'last chance saloon' job.
No employment prospects whatsoever at the moment.

Personally, I think coming here was a one way step to poverty and isolation.

Genesis Mar 10th 2009 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Browner_ (Post 7362146)

Ive just been turned down for my 'last chance saloon' job.
No employment prospects whatsoever at the moment.

Personally, I think coming here was a one way step to poverty and isolation.

Well mate, having lost (as you well know) me life savings last year and being the remotest western civilisation on earth your last comments are very, very true. But to a degree our satisfaction/disatisfaction with life in NZ is in someway linkled to what/where we came from. Both our careers in the UK were going now where, we lived (albeit in a wonderful house) in a REALLY shitty area, we were slaves to a mortgage we worked 60 hours betwixt us and we had endless thug/ youth nuisance aggro EVERY day. The beach was only seen twice a year at best and EVERYTHING was crowded. Our lives are soooooooooooooo different now you could shake a stick at it!!! We have had lots of problems here but all considered for us NZ really has delivered. I am really sorry the job did not come through and I really hope summat else comes up..chin up!!

bourbon-biscuit Mar 10th 2009 3:57 am

okay their <snip> aftersales service sucks

It doesn't if you buy a washing machine!!! Honestly, it was the best after sales service imaginable- so my advice to all potential migrants would be sell the washing machine and pick one up out there :)

Glad it's going well for you :)

Genesis Mar 10th 2009 4:38 am

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 7362259)
It doesn't if you buy a washing machine!!! Honestly, it was the best after sales service imaginable- so my advice to all potential migrants would be sell the washing machine and pick one up out there :)

Glad it's going well for you :)

Cheers mate. How's Oz going..love the place madly, very exciting country..I'd just not be able to cope with the heat..but if thats your thing Oz is the place to be..bloody marvelous place!!!

bourbon-biscuit Mar 10th 2009 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 7362325)
Cheers mate. How's Oz going..love the place madly, very exciting country..I'd just not be able to cope with the heat..but if thats your thing Oz is the place to be..bloody marvelous place!!!

Heat's not really my thing either but we're in NSW, so it doesn't do belting like Vic or humidity of Queensland and it's cooler now- day temps of mid 20's with the odd high 20s, so much nicer than the high 30s! Summer was never going to be my favourite season here though!!!

Bit of an adjustment to pace to be made also, but it's swings and roundabouts as the faster pace is only the other side of the more options and opportunities coin I suppose. I miss the barefoot, can-do, friendliness of the Kiwis though :wub:

luvwelly Mar 10th 2009 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Browner_ (Post 7362146)

:rofl: Well Palmy has got a University.

Genesis your optimism in the face of such adversity is just so hard to credit...posting positive threads on here just seems to be a form of affordable therapy for you. Most people would not have rebounded after that investment loss i.m.h.o. :huh:

bourbon-biscuit Mar 10th 2009 9:22 am

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 7362795)
:rofl: Well Palmy has got a University.

Genesis your optimism in the face of such adversity is just so hard to credit...posting positive threads on here just seems to be a form of affordable therapy for you. Most people would not have rebounded after that investment loss i.m.h.o. :huh:

Jeez, don't you mean that it is easy to credit??? I like positive/ glass half full people- moaners bore me long before the eternal optimists :thumbup:

luvwelly Mar 10th 2009 10:31 am

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 7362816)
Jeez, don't you mean that it is easy to credit??? I like positive/ glass half full people- moaners bore me long before the eternal optimists :thumbup:

I'm an optimist but don't think I could have handled that tbh.

Genesis Mar 10th 2009 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 7363024)
I'm an optimist but don't think I could have handled that tbh.

I do suffer from demons in my head about fiscal loses but what can you do in reality. I try to look at the money I have made in 20 years of owning a house in the UK..it soon brings around the old addage you lose some you win some. In many many ways I am extremely lucky, wonderful UNDERSTANDING wife, great kids X 3, wonderful home wonderful country and I am reasonably healthy too..what mor ecould one want. I have finally learnt (almost) to put the behind where it belongs......right there in the past..no amount of whinging will change anything AND when you look at some of the really awful things that befall others..by God I am soooooooooooooooooooooo lucky!!!! Its only money!!

Batty Mar 10th 2009 8:27 pm

Everything passes and what seems unbearable today is only a memory a short while later. All the knocks you get are only part of living and at least you know you're living Genesis :thumbup: And as they say, there's no pockets in the last shirt so spending your living days worrying about things you can't do anything about won't be much good to you in your dead days. ;)

CarolineSwan Mar 10th 2009 8:45 pm

I am with you on this one, i love nz . We had our own business back in the uk, we earned great money and wanted for nothing . That said i wouldnt swap what we have here for all the tea in china. I would def prefer less cash but more family time ,wins every time just wish we had done the move years ago. Glad your so happy Genisis

caz

sparkie down under Mar 10th 2009 9:11 pm

Hi Genesis

Obviously the drugs DO work. Can you pass some on please.

Genesis Mar 10th 2009 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by sparkie down under (Post 7365095)
Hi Genesis

Obviously the drugs DO work. Can you pass some on please.

I'll see what I can do..its actually St Johns wort..I think you can get it in Pak and save.

jennifer45 Mar 10th 2009 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 7364911)
I do suffer from demons in my head about fiscal loses but what can you do in reality. I try to look at the money I have made in 20 years of owning a house in the UK..it soon brings around the old addage you lose some you win some. In many many ways I am extremely lucky, wonderful UNDERSTANDING wife, great kids X 3, wonderful home wonderful country and I am reasonably healthy too..what mor ecould one want. I have finally learnt (almost) to put the behind where it belongs......right there in the past..no amount of whinging will change anything AND when you look at some of the really awful things that befall others..by God I am soooooooooooooooooooooo lucky!!!! Its only money!!

When everything seems to be going pear shaped- I remember the prayer of serenity [Should read 'sanity' because it helped me keep mine.;)]

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I can.
And the wisdom to know the difference."

Followed that a lot in the recent past and have grown exceedingly wise!