Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I promised to do this a while back , grocery comparison.

I promised to do this a while back , grocery comparison.

Old Jan 28th 2017, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default I promised to do this a while back , grocery comparison.

So today we had to go to the supermarket, not for a big shop but for quite a varied small shop to pick up a few bits. Perfect for a quick comparison, we got 14 items and I can find a similar product on the Countdown website for 12 of the items. I'm just waiting for Match of the Day to start so I had a bit of time spare.

I scrawled on the receipt and I've hopefully attached a picture to this message.

The results are as follows using today's exchange rate.

UK £11.31
NZ £29.03 (NZD $49.93)

I'm back to Aldi tomorrow, their tools deals start tomorrow as my tiling business is booming I need more gear.
Attached Thumbnails I promised to do this a while back , grocery comparison.-20170128_215010.jpg  
Old Jan 29th 2017, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I promised to do this a while back , grocery comparison.

Originally Posted by barnsleymat View Post
So today we had to go to the supermarket, not for a big shop but for quite a varied small shop to pick up a few bits. Perfect for a quick comparison, we got 14 items and I can find a similar product on the Countdown website for 12 of the items. I'm just waiting for Match of the Day to start so I had a bit of time spare.

I scrawled on the receipt and I've hopefully attached a picture to this message.

UK £11.31
NZ £29.03 (NZD $49.93)

I'm back to Aldi tomorrow, their tools deals start tomorrow as my tiling business is booming I need more gear.
What an awful diet Brits subsist on.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

UK £11.31
NZ £29.03 (NZD $49.93)

And the point is? Not sure the price of food will put people off coming to NZ. The shite driving may, or the shite houses that are so ubiquitous...or maybe that we are a so isolated? However I don't think the food will. I find food here very reasonable. Nothing to complain about at all. If you shop wisely I find food here no more expensive (more or less) that the food in the UK. And I was there shopping for food a year ago.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
And the point is? Not sure the price of food will put people off coming to NZ. The shite driving may, or the shite houses that are so ubiquitous...or maybe that we are a so isolated? However I don't think the food will. I find food here very reasonable. Nothing to complain about at all. If you shop wisely I find food here no more expensive (more or less) that the food in the UK. And I was there shopping for food a year ago.
Where were you shopping? Fortnum and Mason?

I was there last year too and food in the UK is loads cheaper than in NZ.

As for price of food not putting people off? Its all part of the cost of living and there are plenty that ask about that so it is a factor in peoples minds.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

The one thing NZ we tried not to skimp on was eating healthily, sadly for a lot of peolle this isn't a choice and that's maybe the reason NZ has such an obesity problem.

Kotare, didn't you read my post, this was a random little Shop to pick up a few random bits for us and our families who we are still living with. We get our fresh food from the market where it's fraction of what we paid in NZ even in the middle of winter. We can eat all the great fantastic food we want here without panicking at the checkout.

I was speaking to an old mate at the pub the other night, he'd been watching Wanted Down Under and he commented how the episodes don't make the groceries look too much difference in price to the UK which is so wrong. They must compare Pak n Save to Harrods. If I have time the next big shop we do I'll do a full comparison because as I thought our grocery bill has more than halved, quite a bit more.

Plus, I do think grocery shopping should make people think twice about NZ. We had to spend more each week feeding ourselves than what we were spending on our mortgage.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

The one thing NZ we tried not to skimp on was eating healthily, sadly for a lot of peolle this isn't a choice and that's maybe the reason NZ has such an obesity problem.

Kotare, didn't you read my post, this was a random little Shop to pick up a few random bits for us and our families who we are still living with. We get our fresh food from the market where it's fraction of what we paid in NZ even in the middle of winter. We can eat all the great fantastic food we want here without panicking at the checkout.

I was speaking to an old mate at the pub the other night, he'd been watching Wanted Down Under and he commented how the episodes don't make the groceries look too much difference in price to the UK which is so wrong. They must compare Pak n Save to Harrods. If I have time the next big shop we do I'll do a full comparison because as I thought our grocery bill has more than halved, quite a bit more.

Plus, I do think grocery shopping should make people think twice about NZ. We had to spend more each week feeding ourselves than what we were spending on our mortgage.
We shop in New World (expensive)in NZ and Waitrose/Tescos in UK (been back twice in past 12 months) and don't find much difference overall for two. UK may be slightly cheaper given the ongoing price wars, but not enough to shade a migration decision. I would add we buy bog standard shopping off the shelf without searching for specials or buying semi exotic health food :-).
Old Jan 29th 2017, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

People notice the price differences between Aldi and say Tescos in Britain too. Yet Tescos still do very well because people are sceptical of the quality of some of the produce at the bargain supermarkets. eg chicken from Thailand. But Im getting that info from reports on the net (trying to work out how the likes of Tescos stays afloat) and not personal experience.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Example. At Tescos the Basmati rice is £1.49. Do you know what it is that allows Aldi to sell it at a third of the price Matt? On the face of it Tescos etc shouldnt have any customers left.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010 View Post
Where were you shopping? Fortnum and Mason?

I was there last year too and food in the UK is loads cheaper than in NZ.

As for price of food not putting people off? Its all part of the cost of living and there are plenty that ask about that so it is a factor in peoples minds.
Shopping in Sainsbury's and Asda. I am not rich either. I get by on about 30k a year but have no accomodation costs other than bills and food. I really believe, like Kotare, if you are canny whilst shopping in NZ, food does not need to be a rip off.

If you pay the full price for anything here it is more expensive than the UK granted. However, if you shop wisely and ONLY buy stuff when it is greatly reduced you save a fortune. IE only buying lamb when its 20 bucks a leg, can you get a fresh leg of lamb in the uk for the equivalent of that?

I also buy about 80% of my provisions from the supermarket that have got reduced stickers on (not simply discounted stuff). Last week a $30 joint of pork for $12. 3 X $15 chickens for $6 each and so on. Shop this way and it is as cheap as shopping in the UK, cheaper to be honest.

Anyway, a FAR more poignant issue currently is the exchange rate, not the price of food. I have NO IDEA how anyone can afford to cash in their life savings and move eto NZ at around $1.65????
Old Jan 29th 2017, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by garethwm View Post
Example. At Tescos the Basmati rice is £1.49. Do you know what it is that allows Aldi to sell it at a third of the price Matt? On the face of it Tescos etc shouldnt have any customers left.
Yes I do know, I've read a few articles on how they do it. Just Google it, it's interesting, those Germans are re inventing grocery shopping.

The food they sell is fantastic quality, the way they sell it is even better.

By the way, Tescos are selling it at 59p.

Last edited by barnsleymat; Jan 29th 2017 at 10:17 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well UK shoppers should be starting to feel the 'Brexit' exchange rate crunch with prices rising by 20%.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kotare View Post
Well UK shoppers should be starting to feel the 'Brexit' exchange rate crunch with prices rising by 20%.
Brexit + Bad weather in Spain and Italy = 1p rise in the price of cucumbers.

20% my arse!!!!!!!

1p to rid ourselves of the EU, bargain of the century.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 11:39 pm
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute

Brexit + Bad weather in Spain and Italy = 1p rise in the price of cucumbers.

20% my arse!!!!!!!

1p to rid ourselves of the EU, bargain of the century.
Is there not a small part of you (the part that tried to make a bid for freedom last time) that thinks "I'm back here again...oh bugger" ?

Genuinely interested.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Munchkjn View Post
Is there not a small part of you (the part that tried to make a bid for freedom last time) that thinks "I'm back here again...oh bugger" ?

Genuinely interested.
Not really. I'm now self employed and loving it, my wife landed the first job she applied for, we've got holidays and weekends away planned, we're off to Glastonbury, we're booking music and comedy gigs, I'm back watching my beloved Barnsley FC battle for a place in the biggest sporting league in the world and it's £2.50 a pint at my local. Plus our 1 year old is absolutely loving being around his family, he's flourishing.

Living so far away from any sort of action for all those years has made us appreciate so much more having so much to do right on our doorstep. Dunedin is a beautiful place, no doubt about it, but over the last few weeks I've been working out in the countryside between here and Huddersfield passing through all the beautiful little countryside villages and if we want the quiet life we can have it right here but still be within easy reach of a bit of hustle and bustle.

Here's a list of places my wife and I visited in the last 18 months of living in Dunedin:

1. Dunedin

I do think we might give Australia a go in a few years but unless there's a huge shift in life in NZ I don't think we'll ever be back.

I know the UK has its faults, it isn't perfect but as a family we can make a much better life for ourselves here than in NZ. We were slowly going stir crazy, it was all work and no play. Our 5 and a half years in NZ was probably the best thing that's happened to us, it was kind of a life boot camp.

I know I take the piss about the cost of living but our move back was for about 10+ reasons.

Last edited by barnsleymat; Jan 30th 2017 at 12:16 am.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 1:38 am
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute

Not really. I'm now self employed and loving it, my wife landed the first job she applied for, we've got holidays and weekends away planned, we're off to Glastonbury, we're booking music and comedy gigs, I'm back watching my beloved Barnsley FC battle for a place in the biggest sporting league in the world and it's £2.50 a pint at my local. Plus our 1 year old is absolutely loving being around his family, he's flourishing.

Living so far away from any sort of action for all those years has made us appreciate so much more having so much to do right on our doorstep. Dunedin is a beautiful place, no doubt about it, but over the last few weeks I've been working out in the countryside between here and Huddersfield passing through all the beautiful little countryside villages and if we want the quiet life we can have it right here but still be within easy reach of a bit of hustle and bustle.

Here's a list of places my wife and I visited in the last 18 months of living in Dunedin:

1. Dunedin

I do think we might give Australia a go in a few years but unless there's a huge shift in life in NZ I don't think we'll ever be back.

I know the UK has its faults, it isn't perfect but as a family we can make a much better life for ourselves here than in NZ. We were slowly going stir crazy, it was all work and no play. Our 5 and a half years in NZ was probably the best thing that's happened to us, it was kind of a life boot camp.

I know I take the piss about the cost of living but our move back was for about 10+ reasons.
Thanks, good to know.
Barnsley are a good honest footy team. Seen my team (Bristol City) play them a few times and also pinched a few players and managers over the years. Also know the countryside round that way as we lived just the other side of the pennines for a few years. Good on you. All the best for the future.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.