Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I need your help people, I need a rental house in Auckland

I need your help people, I need a rental house in Auckland

Old Jun 2nd 2011, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default I need your help people, I need a rental house in Auckland

Hello everyone, we finally made it over to NZ last weekend.

We're staying in an apartment in St Heliers for the short term but we're looking for an house asap as the apartment isn't perfect. We need to sort a house out asap anywhere half decent in Auckland, $400 ish a week and at least 2 bedrooms. We have a little house dog called Ringo that will be joining us later this month from the UK, he's a lovable little thing, here's a clip to prove it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buN2KYlv6x8

Hes lived in our house in the UK for the last 5 years no problems, I know dog ownership is a little different out here and it's proving a stumbling block.

Our container arrives hopefully in a couple of months and we've far too much stuff to fit in the apartment.

If anyone has any advice or available houses I can be contacted < snip - please contact via PM >
We desperatly need a bit of luck finding a place, we've had so many hurdles to jump through to get here I'm preying to the NZ god of housing to help us.

I promised a while back to post our story of getting out here as it's quite a story and an uphill battle, when we've got internet sorted at home or a spare minute at work I'll write it up.

Kia Ora People

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 2nd 2011 at 2:13 am. Reason: It is not wise to put up personal details on an open forum . Spam bots etc.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need your help people, I need a rental house in Auckland

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
Hello everyone, we finally made it over to NZ last weekend.

We're staying in an apartment in St Heliers for the short term but we're looking for an house asap as the apartment isn't perfect. We need to sort a house out asap anywhere half decent in Auckland, $400 ish a week and at least 2 bedrooms. We have a little house dog called Ringo that will be joining us later this month from the UK, he's a lovable little thing, here's a clip to prove it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buN2KYlv6x8

Hes lived in our house in the UK for the last 5 years no problems, I know dog ownership is a little different out here and it's proving a stumbling block.

Our container arrives hopefully in a couple of months and we've far too much stuff to fit in the apartment.

If anyone has any advice or available houses I can be contacted < snip - please contact via PM >
We desperatly need a bit of luck finding a place, we've had so many hurdles to jump through to get here I'm preying to the NZ god of housing to help us.

I promised a while back to post our story of getting out here as it's quite a story and an uphill battle, when we've got internet sorted at home or a spare minute at work I'll write it up.

Kia Ora People
Go to www.trademe.co.nz to their real estate section.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah we've been looking at trade Me and even went to view a house last night in Birkenhead, but as I keep getting told in NZ you sometimes have to be in the right place at the right time to drop on something perfect. We landed on Saturday afternoon and I started working straight away on Monday morning so viewings are proving to be difficult. We still need to buy a car so I've borrowed my bosses huge Hilux to commute but my wife is stuck in St Heliers not able to attend viewings.

She's been in the Library all week on Trade Me phoning people up, I just thought I'd try my luck on here as I'm an avid reader of the forum and very occasional poster.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 5:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

A Kiwi friend of mine doesn't mention her cat immediately when she goes to view a rental.

She dresses up smartly & acts very professionally, friendly etc. At the end of the tour when she feels she's made a suitable impression, she mentions the cat & asks if it will be a problem.

She hasn't had a problem renting anywhere yet.

Just a thought.

How far out are you happy to go?
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

We're happy to move with 10kms of the city, we just desperatly need somewhere.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 6:15 am
Nottingham

josephine123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
A Kiwi friend of mine doesn't mention her cat immediately when she goes to view a rental.

She dresses up smartly & acts very professionally, friendly etc. At the end of the tour when she feels she's made a suitable impression, she mentions the cat & asks if it will be a problem.

She hasn't had a problem renting anywhere yet.

Just a thought.

How far out are you happy to go?

ha ha, i like that one and will def use it in the future, thanks for the tip
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 6:17 am
Nottingham

josephine123 is an unknown quantity at this point

We're happy to move with 10kms of the city, we just desperatly need somewhere.
hi guys,

sounds like the priority to buy a car for you and certainy your wife to get around in would my first priority in your situation as if she has a car she can go to viewings whilst your at work and be on the ball. i'm still in the UK at the moment and not sure about public transport
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

I know a car is a must, but it's hard buying one when I'm at work all day and Kiwibank are still to send us our chequebook, cards, details etc.

We'll keep on battling!

Jetlagtastic
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 6:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I know a car is a must, but it's hard buying one when I'm at work all day and Kiwibank are still to send us our chequebook, cards, details etc.

We'll keep on battling!

Jetlagtastic
Then I'd be shifting banks. We are with Westpac & got everything pretty much straight away!
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Also check out the local paper & real estate agents offices, there's many that don't make it to trademe. Also make sure the agents known that you don't need to be giving notice to move in.

This time of year is actually decent time to look, and don't rush into things moving into the first available. There really are some dives out there in all price ranges.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Howick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant future

Your partner should not feel tied to St Heliers. I get public transit each & every day to & from St Heliers- a monthly pass is $130 & with that, you & or your partner could be in the CBD in 20 minutes. Of course, a car would make things far easier, but you will find yourself pleasantly surprised with the buses. Unfortunately, I still won't touch the trains with the proverbial barge pole, due to ongoing ineptitude.

Anyway, that's my 5c. A bus pass will give you immediate mobility & there are worse drives than along the waterfront each day.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 11:51 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

if you're in St Heliers - Sue Clark from Bay Rentals may be able to help (on high street), she has some local listings that don't even make it to trademe.