Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I need some advice, Please!!

I need some advice, Please!!

Old May 26th 2009, 2:52 am
Just Joined

Happy Expat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I need some advice, Please!!

We have been living in NZ for almost 4 years now. We have PR and our IRRV. Now My hubby has been offered a job in Oz for a much higher salary then he gets here. We would love to take the job and save all the money we can and then say, in 2 years return to NZ and be able to buy our own home etc?? That's something we just seem to be unable to do here??

Would we lose our PR and IRRV?? If so, then that's our answer, NO, we won't go!!
But if we don't lose it, then we are going to seriously consider taking this job!!!!!

Any advice and helpful opinions welcome!!
Old May 26th 2009, 4:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need some advice, Please!!

Originally Posted by Happy Expat
We have been living in NZ for almost 4 years now. We have PR and our IRRV. Now My hubby has been offered a job in Oz for a much higher salary then he gets here. We would love to take the job and save all the money we can and then say, in 2 years return to NZ and be able to buy our own home etc?? That's something we just seem to be unable to do here??

Would we lose our PR and IRRV?? If so, then that's our answer, NO, we won't go!!
But if we don't lose it, then we are going to seriously consider taking this job!!!!!

When did you get PR? You may be entitled to apply for citizenship. Not sure about losing PR etc. Sorry.
Old May 26th 2009, 4:33 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

If you have an INDEFINITE RRV (have a look and at the sticker and see where it says "must not arrive after:" it should say INDEFINITE) then you're good to come and go from NZ for the rest of your days (unless there is a legislative change)

You can't get into Oz with NZ PR alone- but I'm sure you know that! Where is the job offer btw??? What field is it in and will they sponsor your visa?

ATB
Old May 26th 2009, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you want to leave NZ though, where is teh job in Aussie and is it somewhere you have been and could happily live for 2 years, or would you rather stay here? Just a thought
Old May 26th 2009, 5:09 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys, I've had my PR for just over 2 years and have recently received my "Indefinite" RRV, so still have almost 3 years till citizenship! Which I would hate to lose out on.

I can't really say much about the offer, as so far it's a verbal offer, but it got us thinking, hence the questions.

All I can say is, it's in Melbourne and it's in the motor industry. Yip, hubby has been there and said it's a place I would love.

I'm not sure if I could ever leave NZ for good. I love this place to bits. My only issue I have with the place is, the lack of choice? (Obviously due to a the small population.
Our biggest reason for even considering this, is because we could save up so much quicker?? I know it sounds crazy, but we kinda feel like we're never gonna own our own place if we don't do something drastic??
Old May 27th 2009, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

if you have your IRRV, as things currently stand you wont loose it, you should be able to move back anytime.

However, the clock towards citizenship will start from zero again, so it will be five years fromt eh date you return to NZ before you can apply for citizenship. So if you were out of Nz for 2 years its another 7 before citizenship.

You will need a visa for aus, you cannot work and live in aus on the back of your NZ residency.
Old May 28th 2009, 4:00 am
Just Joined

Thanks Newkiwi!!

I guess we will be staying in NZ then