British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   I Need To Renew My NZ Passport to Get Home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/i-need-renew-my-nz-passport-get-home-934742/)

cycloben2017 Sep 9th 2020 9:38 pm

I Need To Renew My NZ Passport to Get Home

But I need a sponsor. Can somebody please help me?

Currently I live in the states, but with the covid running out of control and society breaking down, I really want to go home where it's safe. Please help me.

A little about me: I left NZ in 1996. My last school attended was Auckland Boys Grammar. I tried to contact my classmates and teachers from that period, but none responded. I'm at my wits end trying to find a sponsor.

Pulaski Sep 9th 2020 10:06 pm

Re: I Need To Renew My NZ Passport to Get Home

Why do you need a "sponsor"? If you're a NZ citizen you need a passport - do have even an expired NZ passport?

Under your circumstances your first port of call should be the NZ consulate in the US, as they will be able to advise you and may be able to help in getting a passport or advising you if you aren't going to be able to get one (any time soon).

cycloben2017 Sep 9th 2020 10:10 pm

I have an expired passport. But I need a NZ citizen to vouch my identity. The problem is that I cannot find any of my teachers or classmates from back in 1996.

Also, the consul in my area is an American, and she was of no help.

SanDiegogirl Sep 9th 2020 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by cycloben2017 (Post 12907990)
I have an expired passport. But I need a NZ citizen to vouch my identity. The problem is that I cannot find any of my teachers or classmates from back in 1996.

Also, the consul in my area is an American, and she was of no help.

While you cannot use a family member, what about a friend of a family member who remembers you?
Did you work in NZ - old colleagues?

Pulaski Sep 9th 2020 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by cycloben2017 (Post 12907990)
I have an expired passport. But I need a NZ citizen to vouch my identity. The problem is that I cannot find any of my teachers or classmates from back in 1996. .....

Both the US and UK will allow you to enter using an expired passport. Are you certain that NZ doesn't extend the same courtesy to its citizens?

cycloben2017 Sep 9th 2020 11:12 pm

Well, legally no. And the passport had expired 20 years already. So the picture is still that of a child.

If I can get a Kiwi to vouch for me, that would be great.

Also, if anyone is from Balmoral Intermediate School (1992, 1993), and Auckland Boys Grammar (1994-1997), please give me a shoutout. Maybe we might have crossed paths and somehow you might remember me.

Charismatic Sep 10th 2020 12:00 am

A quicker way might be to contact the passports office at DIA and ask what the alternative process is.​​​​​

cycloben2017 Sep 10th 2020 12:05 am

Well, the alternative is to write a sworn affidavit in front of a Justice of Peace. But you're basically at the mercy of the reviewer, who will basically look at you like someone who cannot find a sponsor / identity referee. That is my last resort.

Justcol Sep 10th 2020 10:08 pm

This reminds me of the tv program Border Security, when the customs officer has the suspect in the interview room and asks them "what are you going to do while you're in Australia". The suspect usually then mumbles "see sights" or "bondi beach".
Throwing a school name into the post adds no credibility to it at all.
Go on I'll be a sponsor, how much do you want

Bo-Jangles Sep 11th 2020 7:20 am

Originally Posted by cycloben2017 (Post 12907976)

Currently I live in the states, but with the covid running out of control and society breaking down, I really want to go home where it's safe. Please help me.

Do you not have any old family friends or neighbours; try and hook up with friends and school chums on Linkedin or Facebook

Without any connections here for over 20 years I fear you may find the grass is not quite as green as you remember - lots of stories around like this and this from those returning to NZ and struggling to readjust to cold houses and expensive cost of living. That good old Kiwi 'tall poppy syndrome' is still alive and well.

SanDiegogirl Sep 11th 2020 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 12908609)
Do you not have any old family friends or neighbours; try and hook up with friends and school chums on Linkedin or Facebook

Without any connections here for over 20 years I fear you may find the grass is not quite as green as you remember - lots of stories around like this and this from those returning to NZ and struggling to readjust to cold houses and expensive cost of living. That good old Kiwi 'tall poppy syndrome' is still alive and well.

I asked this of the OP. He was in Grammar school until 1996 and has been in the States for 25 years; so is around 42'ish..... unless all his family came to US with him you would have thought there was some family/family friends still around in NZ

scot47 Sep 12th 2020 2:55 pm

Put a small ad in a local paper in the area in NZ where you grew up.

Pom_Chch Sep 13th 2020 12:33 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 12908609)

Yeah I dunno. I reckon I would rather put up with 'through the nose food prices' and shitty driving standards than contract a potentially lethal virus that could effect me for the rest of my life... 🤷