Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I need to pull me finger out my.....

I need to pull me finger out my.....

Old Apr 22nd 2007, 11:24 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I need to pull me finger out my.....

(_x_)

Its been a week since getting our news - and DP and I have yet to sit down and work out what to do!

we are decorating dd's bedroom today to make that look nice again and more saleable.

but still confused as to what to do next. i would dread having an offer on the house and not be able to tell the purchaser when we are going (assuming we are still waiting a job offer) - we have no one we could live with (not without killing each other!)

we have had no job offers either really depressing. After being told we are incredibly desirable and even telling us to UP our salary expectations for our skills - there is just nothing around.

dont know whether we should just get the stuff shipped out, put house on market, come over and sell house from NZ and find job while we're out there. Its a risk - but possible (for a few months, after that we would be broke).

just wanna be out there now - without all that jazz that goes on before hand. Slip off quietly.

Old Apr 22nd 2007, 5:12 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I need to pull me finger out my.....

Originally Posted by dreamfish
(_x_)

Its been a week since getting our news - and DP and I have yet to sit down and work out what to do!

we are decorating dd's bedroom today to make that look nice again and more saleable.

but still confused as to what to do next. i would dread having an offer on the house and not be able to tell the purchaser when we are going (assuming we are still waiting a job offer) - we have no one we could live with (not without killing each other!)

we have had no job offers either really depressing. After being told we are incredibly desirable and even telling us to UP our salary expectations for our skills - there is just nothing around.

dont know whether we should just get the stuff shipped out, put house on market, come over and sell house from NZ and find job while we're out there. Its a risk - but possible (for a few months, after that we would be broke).

just wanna be out there now - without all that jazz that goes on before hand. Slip off quietly.

We tried to sell our house from NZ. Did not work at all. In fact we got screwed but can't prove it. We had to come back at great expense to sort it out. 2 years later we are still here but now have our PR and plan to go back. Been advised by many to sell it first and do not tell the estate agents about moving abroad. Tell them you are moving South for a job offer. That's what we said, well it's true, just left out the NZ bit. Do not let them think you are desperate, they will play games with you. Notice how if you want to buy a house you got to keep upping the offers, when they (estate people) want you to sell it's all about their advice. Remember that 1% of a thousand is not much to them, so they make you sell your house cheaper and still make good money off you. Put your best poker face on. Remember property in this country is getting scarce, if they want it they have to pay for it.

Best of luck.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Lenmil
We tried to sell our house from NZ. Did not work at all. In fact we got screwed but can't prove it. We had to come back at great expense to sort it out. 2 years later we are still here but now have our PR and plan to go back. Been advised by many to sell it first and do not tell the estate agents about moving abroad. Tell them you are moving South for a job offer. That's what we said, well it's true, just left out the NZ bit. Do not let them think you are desperate, they will play games with you. Notice how if you want to buy a house you got to keep upping the offers, when they (estate people) want you to sell it's all about their advice. Remember that 1% of a thousand is not much to them, so they make you sell your house cheaper and still make good money off you. Put your best poker face on. Remember property in this country is getting scarce, if they want it they have to pay for it.

Best of luck.
thanks for the advice - its very sound. i have even thought about selling privately....stick my own for sale board up in the garden and do my own advertising. i wonder how many people are successful that way??
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the advice - its very sound. i have even thought about selling privately....stick my own for sale board up in the garden and do my own advertising. i wonder how many people are successful that way??
If there are other houses up for sale in your street, you cold be cheeky if you see a potential buyer and collar them as they come out of that house and tell them yours is for sale. You'd have to be lucky and probably have some real b*&^^*%&s, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Last edited by simonmarkellis; Apr 22nd 2007 at 5:58 pm. Reason: grammer
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 6:03 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

This link may be what you are looking for!

http://www.mypropertyforsale.co.uk/
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by sirplug
This link may be what you are looking for!

http://www.mypropertyforsale.co.uk/
oooooOOoooo good find thank you. hmm i might just give it a go!
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your residence visa, we received ours on the same day. It is very daunting as we are hoping to head out to Auckland by July / August. We have our house on the market and we have stated to our possible new employees that we will not be over until the house is sold.

Due to the tight timescales and laziness we have decided to use a local estate agent, but you may find the link below useful if you would like to sell your house not using an estate agent.

http://www.housenetwork.co.uk/

Good luck
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 11:39 pm
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

(_x_)

Hi Dream Fish,
Can understand your worries, we are going through same with Job offer, they all say they want OH, but the job offer still not there yet. We have sold our house so end of May have to move out and in with Parents as can't get a short term lease on a house. Furniture will have to be stored with movers until 6 weeks before we go and then it can be shipped on its way. We feel its all up in the air at the mo, can't feel excited as nothing definite apart from house sale. I,m sure it will all come together for us all just when it needs to, I am ever the Optomist.
Keep your chin up
Marika
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Kate
well done on receiving your visa! I go away for 2 weeks and it all happens!

We spoke to several agencies and they wanted hubbies CV. but the impression we got was that until we have the visa and are in NZ they won't spend time job hunting for us.
Perhaps you need to pack up , sell house and go there?

We are moving house on wed/Thurs. and have had to take a 6 month lease so it's putting our timing out, but at least we've sold it now!
Good luck with your house sale
Helen
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by helinuk
Kate
well done on receiving your visa! I go away for 2 weeks and it all happens!

We spoke to several agencies and they wanted hubbies CV. but the impression we got was that until we have the visa and are in NZ they won't spend time job hunting for us.
Perhaps you need to pack up , sell house and go there?

We are moving house on wed/Thurs. and have had to take a 6 month lease so it's putting our timing out, but at least we've sold it now!
Good luck with your house sale
Helen
aww thanks Helen - how was your trip?
I despair of these agencies - they build up your hopes then nothng. ur right tho - I think we need to be out there to job hunt. Maybe we can temp or take contracts till somethng comes along...