Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I need a new challenge...my story

I need a new challenge...my story

Old Aug 4th 2008, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

CurlyJack1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I need a new challenge...my story

Hello everyone im Jack, 28, single male born and bread in England. I have managed to get myself a job at Whistler Blackcomb this winter which will last a minimum of 6 months, my visa is for 12months.
Now i know many many people may ask these same questions but im slowly getting through all the articles and discussions so im sorry if these kind of questions bother people.

I have been working for Royal Mail for almost 7 years and lately my life just seems boring, ground hog day so to speak. All my friends are settling down in relationships, marriage, buying their own house with a partner and having children. This is great and im happy for them, but guess what im the one whos missing out. I feel that im stuck in a rut and need to get out!
I am single, only renting a house and have no commitments(family have told me to go for it) when it comes to mortgage,family etc. So i applied through CCUSA and BUNAC and chose the working in Canada programme. Royal mail offer "career breaks" that start at one year and can be extended to 3 years so I can go through with this.

Now i know i might not fit into any skilled workers categories but i passed secondary school with 8 GCSE's and obtained a BTEC national diploma in engineering when i went to college. Unfortunatly this didnt lead to any work in the required field as i was in the "too experienced and not enough experience" for every job and course i applied for at that age, which really got me down.

Anyway this gets asked all the time im sure, but realistically what are the chances for someone like myself (young free and single so to speak) staying for more then a year or living on a permanent basis in Canada or any other country infact. Such as Australia, New Zealand, USA and any other country popular with british citizens. If it helps i have family on my fathers side living in Australia(his cousins and uncles) and some distant relatives in Canada and the USA but i know this wont count for anything.

I just feel i need a big change in my life and the "rip-off" britian effect seems to be taking hold of me, i need a new lifestyle, change of scenery, new challenges etc
So id be interested to learn from anyone with advice, similar stories and experiences just to tell me what they did etc

Like i said above im probably one of thousands of posts regular people on this site read about all the time and may get bored of and for that I apologise but i feel that talking to people who have been there and done that will give me a better understanding to all the things i can do, as sometimes the offical websites just seem to quote jargon which dosnt help anyone.

Once again thanks for reading and I look forward to getting through all the articles on the site(not all of them, but the ones that appeal to me haha)