Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I need a curry, its been over 10 years

I need a curry, its been over 10 years

Old Nov 26th 2012, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Miss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud of
Default Re: I need a curry, its been over 10 years

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I'm guessing that would have been the butter chicken.
Apparently so! Honestly just terrible.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Miss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Please come to Marlborough! We can pay you in wine!
You wouldn't even need to tempt the OH with alcohol. He just loves showing off the newly found curry cooking skills

I'll take that wine though......
Old Nov 26th 2012, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Today out of the blue I had a vision of onion bhaji's, not the crappy pancake type ones, but a beautiful grapefruit sized one, drizzled with mint and yoghurt sauce. A condiment tray loaded with mango chutney, lime pickle, onion and tomato salad. A stack of poppadoms, big and beautifully formed, without a trace of grease. Nan bread the size of a dustbin lid. Chicken tikka marsala, lamb rogan josh, beef madras, all washed down with pints of Stella, not the "made under license" stuff, but a pint of Stella Artois.

Of course I had to hit the local curry restaurant, against my better judgement....walked away bitterly disappointed.

Please tell me, somewhere in NZ, it is possible to get a "British" indian curry!
you've made my mouth water!

There is a little place on Dominion Road that does manage to do some nice currys....some of it is a little hit and miss - but most is pretty good and the portion size is ok with some of them (i.e. more than 8 chunks of chicken to one dish) That's India Express.

Little India is "ok" - the bhaji i find is pretty good - about the most comparable to ones from the UK that i've had. Poppadoms? pffft given up on those over here.

Last time I was back in the UK after spending a year and a half away - my first 3 evening meals were curry! the fourth was a roast dinner!
Old Nov 27th 2012, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

As a self confessed curryaholic, I have similarly struggled. Best I have found is Oh Calcutta in Parnell as a previous poster mentioned. But nowhere near as nice as the curry vision in the OP.

How I miss a UK Chicken or prawn madras. And Onion Bhajis.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Great India in Wellington, run since the early 70's by an Indian family from Leicester, and also Kohinoor in Albany Village in Auckland, just make sure you ask for Indian hot!
Old Nov 27th 2012, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

smudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond repute

We always go to Chands in Rothesay Bay...one of the best we've found. I actually prefer it to Oh Calcutta.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 4:47 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Nic
We got ourselves a decent indian recipe book and have become masters (ish) in the art of curry making. Its impossible to find a decent curry place in NZ. We did just try out Urban Turban in AKL and it was.......ok. A vast improvement from what we've had before mind.

We'd heard good things about a place in Wanaka so got ourselves all excited only to be served up with just god awful slop. We tried 3 different curries and the only real difference was the colour. One genuinely tasted like chicken in Heinz Tomato Soup with 40 cloves in it.

Come round to ours and we'll rustle something up
Ok, I can't stand it anymore! Please, please, please can you put up a good for a first try recipe? I gonna cook one up tomorrow!
Old Nov 30th 2012, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Sure!

Let me know what your favourites are. These are my favourites and the ones we make the most

Rogan Josh
They say to use Lamb but we always have it with chuck steak because it just tastes so much better. Takes some prep so you may want to leave this for another time.

45ml/3tbsp lemon juice
250ml/8fl oz natural (plain) yoghurt
5ml/1tsp salt
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2.5cm/1in piece fresh root ginger finely grated
900g/2lb chuck steak, cubed
60ml/4tbsp Vegetable Oil
2.5ml/1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2 bay leaves
4 green cardamon pods
1 onion, finely chopped
10ml/2tsp ground coriander
10ml/2tsp ground cumin
5ml/1tsp chilli powder (we use red hot chilli powder and its a nice neat)
400g/14oz canned chopped tomatoes (no added salt is better)
30ml/2tsp tomato puree
150ml/1/4 pint water

1. In a large bowl mix together the lemon juice, yoghurt, salt, half the garlic and ginger. Add beef, stir and leave in the fridge overnight.

2. Heat oil in large pan or wok and fry the cumin seeds for 2 mins. Add bay leaves and cardamon pods and fry for 2 more mins.

3. Add the onion and remaining garlic and fry for 5 mins. Add the coriander, cumin and chilli powder and fry for 2 mins.

4. Add the beef mixture to the pan and cook for 5 mins, stirring so it doesn't burn.

5. Stir in toms, tom puree and water. Cover and simmer for approx 2 hours - 2.5 hours (1.5 hours if you use lamb instead)

This is seriously my favourite! So so good.

I'll type up the others now.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

g/Stewing Beef Curry
We make this if we haven't had the time (or thought!) to marinade the beef for the Rogan Josh.

900g/2lb Chuck steak (or whatever stewing beef you prefer)
1tbsp Oil
1 Large Onion finely chopped
4 cloves
4 green cardamon pods
2 green chillies finely chopped (we don't put these in as our curry paste is quite hot anyway)
1inch piece of fresh ginger
2 Garlic coves crushes
2 dried red chillies slices (we use these. You could omit and use the green chilli's or both. Depends on the heat you want)
1 tsp curry paste
2tsp ground coriander
1tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
150ml/ 1/4 pint beef stock

1. Heat oil in a large pan and fry the onions, cloves and cardamon pods for about 5 mins. Add the green chillies (if using) ginger, garlic, red chillies and fry for 2 more mins.

2. Add curry paste and fry for 2 mins, add beef and fry for 5-8 mins until the beef lightly browned

3. Add coriander, cumin, salt and stock. Cover and simmer for 2 hours (until beef is really tender).

Forgot to say on the last one but obviously before you serve try and fish out any cardamon pods/cloves/bay leaves
Old Nov 30th 2012, 6:06 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Gonna give the Rogan Josh a go tomorrow, but noticed you need to leave it overnight, so will let you know the results on Sunday!
Got pretty much all the ingredients except the cardamom and the lamb!

Thank you so much! Right excited now!
Old Dec 1st 2012, 7:22 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Catcha, get yourself to the airport, jump on a plane to Penang. There's a place over the road from us that does a fantabulous Rhogan Josh. And the Laotian Laksa is mindblowing see pic on link
http://www.noeyeddeer.com/famous-food-penang.html

and so cheap, my life.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 9:11 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Catcha, get yourself to the airport, jump on a plane to Penang. There's a place over the road from us that does a fantabulous Rhogan Josh. And the Laotian Laksa is mindblowing see pic on link

and so cheap, my life.
already.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bakedbean

and so cheap, my life.
Man alive I'm hungry after that. Looks like it's lamb tikka jalfrezi,mushroom pilau and Keema naan at Naaz,Nantwich tonight(sorry). Go heavy on the naga chillies !!
Oi mate,do you do Argy - Bhaji's !!
Old Dec 1st 2012, 1:05 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
already.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 6:15 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the currys here you don't get loads like in the uk so less fattening

Anyway we have a good Indian here called Spice Guru, and the last time I went back to England I went out for two Indian meals and didn't find them as nice as I used too in my opinion

Last edited by love30stm; Dec 1st 2012 at 6:17 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.