Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I need a curry, its been over 10 years

I need a curry, its been over 10 years

Old Nov 25th 2012, 8:55 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default I need a curry, its been over 10 years

Today out of the blue I had a vision of onion bhaji's, not the crappy pancake type ones, but a beautiful grapefruit sized one, drizzled with mint and yoghurt sauce. A condiment tray loaded with mango chutney, lime pickle, onion and tomato salad. A stack of poppadoms, big and beautifully formed, without a trace of grease. Nan bread the size of a dustbin lid. Chicken tikka marsala, lamb rogan josh, beef madras, all washed down with pints of Stella, not the "made under license" stuff, but a pint of Stella Artois.

Of course I had to hit the local curry restaurant, against my better judgement....walked away bitterly disappointed.

Please tell me, somewhere in NZ, it is possible to get a "British" indian curry!

Last edited by Catchafire; Nov 25th 2012 at 9:00 am.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need a curry, its been over 10 years

We have given up trying, if there is a really decent one, I have yet to find it. We've been mostly disappointed with all that we have tried and there have been a few; there's always something weird or not quite like what it oughta. DIY is about the best option.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Wendy99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Haha, I was just complaining to my husband yesterday that I miss 'New Zealand' Indian curry!
Old Nov 25th 2012, 5:47 pm
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy99
Haha, I was just complaining to my husband yesterday that I miss 'New Zealand' Indian curry!
mmmm the joy of bland....
Old Nov 25th 2012, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin
mmmm the joy of bland....
Maybe it's our curry houses local to us here in the UK and maybe we were just lucky in NZ, but whatever you order it all seems to taste the same here. They have mastered the art of bland.

The whole poppadom thing is definitely much better over here in the UK though.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 6:20 pm
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy99
Maybe it's our curry houses local to us here in the UK and maybe we were just lucky in NZ, but whatever you order it all seems to taste the same here. They have mastered the art of bland.

The whole poppadom thing is definitely much better over here in the UK though.
Any place that you can order a mild vindaloo has issues..
Old Nov 25th 2012, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Old Nov 25th 2012, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Miss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud of

We got ourselves a decent indian recipe book and have become masters (ish) in the art of curry making. Its impossible to find a decent curry place in NZ. We did just try out Urban Turban in AKL and it was.......ok. A vast improvement from what we've had before mind.

We'd heard good things about a place in Wanaka so got ourselves all excited only to be served up with just god awful slop. We tried 3 different curries and the only real difference was the colour. One genuinely tasted like chicken in Heinz Tomato Soup with 40 cloves in it.

Come round to ours and we'll rustle something up
Old Nov 25th 2012, 9:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

What time should we all be there?
Old Nov 25th 2012, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Miss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud of

Anytime you like of course Seriously we love an excuse to cook up a few curries
Old Nov 25th 2012, 11:44 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Please come to Marlborough! We can pay you in wine!
Old Nov 26th 2012, 4:31 am
Banned

lfcfan is an unknown quantity at this point

For any of you can highly recommend oh Calcutta in Parnell... We travel from one side of the city to another for a very good curry
Old Nov 26th 2012, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

I had amazing curry at paradise in Sandringham recently....it was meltingly delicious
Old Nov 26th 2012, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Nic
One genuinely tasted like chicken in Heinz Tomato Soup with 40 cloves in it
I'm guessing that would have been the butter chicken.

Urban Turban is I agree about one of the best but the menu is very limited.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 5:57 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

so true, or a korma, "would you like that mild medium or hot"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.