Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I Moved To NZ For ...

I Moved To NZ For ...

Old May 21st 2010, 12:56 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool I Moved To NZ For ...

... the fact that the kids can go barefoot to school.

No more hours wasted trying to find matching pairs of socks and some shoes.

Hours saved, approximately 2 per week.
Old May 21st 2010, 1:58 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I Moved To NZ For ...

Originally Posted by Am Loolah

Truth is......you can't tie shoe laces......
Old May 21st 2010, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

This week I are being living in a much less populous country. Which is nice and suits me sir. Ohh.
Old May 21st 2010, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

Aaah yes I remember it well. Used to live on the shore,a good weekend of weather expected (tricky though predicting a maritime climate) and we'd set off with tent to Coromandel (Hahei,hot water beach) or Bay of islands. Or take the old BJ40 landcruiser and drive on 90 mile beach. Just a day then there was the Waitakere or Goat island for some great snorkelling.
Well here in Blighty,the weather has just turned and broken into the 20's at last. I'm struggling to find the enthusiasm to get in the car and join the Millions in hordes as they fight to grab that little bit of escapism. By the time I get there tomorrow,just might get a couple of hours on Snowden or a remote beach on Anglesey.
In NZ it was a walk in the park,literally.One day,I keep promising myself ....
Enjoy it lucky people !
Old May 21st 2010, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Droidling
Aaah yes I remember it well. Used to live on the shore,a good weekend of weather expected (tricky though predicting a maritime climate) and we'd set off with tent to Coromandel (Hahei,hot water beach) or Bay of islands. Or take the old BJ40 landcruiser and drive on 90 mile beach. Just a day then there was the Waitakere or Goat island for some great snorkelling.
Well here in Blighty,the weather has just turned and broken into the 20's at last. I'm struggling to find the enthusiasm to get in the car and join the Millions in hordes as they fight to grab that little bit of escapism. By the time I get there tomorrow,just might get a couple of hours on Snowden or a remote beach on Anglesey.
In NZ it was a walk in the park,literally.One day,I keep promising myself ....
Enjoy it lucky people !
What or who made you return to Blighty? It seems like you would like to return. The space and emptiness for me was the biggest allure. I utterly hate crowds, traffic jams and throngs of people. Life in NZ is uncrowded (if you are away from the main 2-3 urban areas) simple and wonderful. While NZ has many, many faults and problems it is a wonderous place...so long as you can keep away from all said problems. Thus far, 5 years on we have managed to do that. The day life in NZ comes like it was in Northampton is the day we pack up and go to Tasmania.
Old May 21st 2010, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah

I still cant understand why verrucas are not rampant in NZ.
Old May 21st 2010, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

Well let's just say there was a woman involved ... enough said ?!! You take these (poor) decisions to placate your (future ex) partner who has already realised you're not a good fit. A great thing hindsight as they always say.
The population thing is something that certainly stands out like a pair of dog's whatsits when you get back. It's comical,for example that myself included are prepared to queue on Snowden now as there's just so many people. 'But it's nice to get out in the wilderness ....' !!!
I have a job that pays well so i have to stick it out here for now,unfortunately you get into the situation where you struggle to enjoy the tiny bit of leisure time you get and that becomes a grudge as well. It all merges into itself in the end.
Anyway the beer's talking now,will get back there and the next time they will have to bring me back in a wooden overcoat.
Old May 21st 2010, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Ok then,getting the thread back on subject :-

1. Out-of-doors activities not eclipsed anywhere and easily obtained.
2. Motorbiking like you could only dream about (the straights,the twisties !!!).
3. Feijoa sorbet.

Not always in that order.
Old May 21st 2010, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Droidling
Well let's just say there was a woman involved ... enough said ?!! You take these (poor) decisions to placate your (future ex) partner who has already realised you're not a good fit. A great thing hindsight as they always say.
The population thing is something that certainly stands out like a pair of dog's whatsits when you get back. It's comical,for example that myself included are prepared to queue on Snowden now as there's just so many people. 'But it's nice to get out in the wilderness ....' !!!
I have a job that pays well so i have to stick it out here for now,unfortunately you get into the situation where you struggle to enjoy the tiny bit of leisure time you get and that becomes a grudge as well. It all merges into itself in the end.
Anyway the beer's talking now,will get back there and the next time they will have to bring me back in a wooden overcoat.
Hindsight aye? What a wonderful thing. Have made many many mistakes myself too along life's path. Hope you get back 'home' soon enough.
Old May 21st 2010, 10:53 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

a new start.......let the kids have a childhood that I had.......less people.......less stress.........sea views..........live near a beach............happier people..........less money..........more 'real' free time.......I could go on!
Old May 22nd 2010, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
I still cant understand why verrucas are not rampant in NZ.
Veruccas aren't but an outbreak of TB in the east coast was directly attributable to kids in barefeet
Old May 22nd 2010, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

a year and I'm still here
Old May 22nd 2010, 1:35 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pricklykina
a year and I'm still here
Ditto *sigh*
Old May 22nd 2010, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pricklykina
Veruccas aren't but an outbreak of TB in the east coast was directly attributable to kids in barefeet
I have to say I think the barefoot stuff is really quite odd and unhygenic. Firstly when you come to a kiwi's house you are supposed to take your feet off to stop all the shite from outside getting on the carpet. If you walk around bare foot all the time what can you do when you turn up to your mate's home...take your feet off? I have light coloured carpets and if I didn't clean my kids feet (those that don't wear shoes when at school) they would be filthy and full of all kinds of crap and detritus. What a pain the latter is. Then there is the issue of dog muck, broken glass, splinters, spit, sick et al that cover our streets. THEN the issue of boys going to the toilet with no foot wear..YUK!!! We all know the gents bogs are great big wee wee skid pans. I think its a horrible habit and I will not allow my kids to go bare foot when I am with them. Yes I am a tad anal but I also have their welfare at heart.
Old May 22nd 2010, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
what can you do when you turn up to your mate's home...take your feet off?

hahaha

Last edited by crap coffee; May 22nd 2010 at 2:34 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.