Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I love NZ but why am I in a pickle!

I love NZ but why am I in a pickle!

Old May 5th 2006, 11:50 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I love NZ but why am I in a pickle!

Originally Posted by ezvanetree
Most of the things people thought were unique to NZ were common things found every where.
That's true - to a certain extent. There are lots of things that I find good here that I also found in Ireland but not for the last 10 years or so. I was out of step slightly with the 'new' Ireland (probably because I'd been away for most of its development) so I'm much more comfortable here. And yes, 3 hours talking about houses, gardens and/or woodburners would be a bit much I'm at a loss as to how you'd keep THAT conversation going Now, if you wanted to talk about making curtains??????? Looking intently at the material isn't going to do it methinks
Old May 13th 2006, 10:54 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting read .. I suppose folk come here for dif reasons, I think I was in a state of shock for about a year. You def have to be adaptable to get by here and tough I think
Old May 13th 2006, 11:49 am
Banned

Lenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really nice

Originally Posted by sky
Interesting read .. I suppose folk come here for dif reasons, I think I was in a state of shock for about a year. You def have to be adaptable to get by here and tough I think
Good to see you back Sky.........I used to think you was a right old whinger when I was back in the UK but I think differently now. Mind you, you was a bit hard on us screws
Old May 13th 2006, 12:27 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Awww I wasn't trying to be, honestly, I just was telling you the truth (my truth of course) I honestly don't want to see folk struggle like we did, but now we're coming out the other side I'm thinking for us it may have been worth the trauma ... fingers crossed
Old May 13th 2006, 1:42 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
Awww I wasn't trying to be, honestly, I just was telling you the truth (my truth of course) I honestly don't want to see folk struggle like we did, but now we're coming out the other side I'm thinking for us it may have been worth the trauma ... fingers crossed
Hiya Sky Nice to see you and I'm looking forward to seeing the pics Good luck.
Old May 14th 2006, 1:54 am
K9s
Forum Regular

K9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really nice

Originally Posted by sky

Sky I hated the posts you done when I was back in the UK but now I am here I can understand why you said what you said

K9
Old May 14th 2006, 10:21 am
livewire

It's lovely to see you guys starting to understand where Sky was coming from .

Quite a few people have tried to post about the downsides of NZ life and have often been dismissed as doom and gloom merchants, or that they're just being negative.

I know it's not easy to read the bad news when your gearing yourself up for the most important move of your life, but people mostly do try to be as honest and informative as they can.

If you stick it out it comes right in the end, might take a year or two to get established and settled but it's worth it

Old May 14th 2006, 10:32 am
Banned

Lenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really nice

Originally Posted by livewire
It's lovely to see you guys starting to understand where Sky was coming from .

Quite a few people have tried to post about the downsides of NZ life and have often been dismissed as doom and gloom merchants, or that they're just being negative.

I know it's not easy to read the bad news when your gearing yourself up for the most important move of your life, but people mostly do try to be as honest and informative as they can.

If you stick it out it comes right in the end, might take a year or two to get established and settled but it's worth it
3 months not enough then
Old May 14th 2006, 10:57 pm
livewire

lol! ....well....considering we found out we'd made a mistake sometime between getting off the plane and arriving at the hotel and we would've turned round and gone back at the drop of a hat....3 months seems like a decent amount of time in comparison.

The other half was looking round for another job before the jet lag had worn off. If he hadn't found one we were going to return after 6 months (were going to stay for the NZ summer and a bit of grockling ) because:

1. his first job was so cr@p
2. we couldn't have made ends meet in Auckland

He just got lucky that he found one in NZ inside a few months. It's so important to get the job right, if you haven't got that it's really hard making a go of it; how long you last for really can depend on what resources you have to hand more than anything else.

Old May 16th 2006, 11:41 am
Just Joined

RodandEm is an unknown quantity at this point

damn, well if i wasn't pannicking a bit yesterday about whether we are making the right move after reading most of this thread i'm even worse !!!

i have no job skills as it were, but emma is a primary school teacher. so we were hoping on that seeing us through the low wages...

must continue doing research but i'm getting a bad feeling about all this and thats before we've even applied !!!

thing is i've waited years for a move like this, and seriously would be lost if we decided against it because it has been on the horizon for so long.
Old May 16th 2006, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: I love NZ but why am I in a pickle!

Originally Posted by RodandEm
damn, well if i wasn't pannicking a bit yesterday about whether we are making the right move after reading most of this thread i'm even worse !!!

i have no job skills as it were, but emma is a primary school teacher. so we were hoping on that seeing us through the low wages...

must continue doing research but i'm getting a bad feeling about all this and thats before we've even applied !!!

thing is i've waited years for a move like this, and seriously would be lost if we decided against it because it has been on the horizon for so long.
I no what you mean about reading negative things. I'm scared every day, what started as a fun idea has really snowballed. We can't apply for PR without a job offer and my husbands microsoft exams are'nt recognised by NZQA so were just taking the plunge, selling our house and arriving. Lifes to short and you can always return but its got to be worth a go on the off chance everything goes great.