Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I love NZ but.....

I love NZ but.....

Old Jan 10th 2010, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I love NZ but.....

Originally Posted by Charismatic
My dad (Who lives out in Co. Clare) e-mailed me to say it was bitterly cold and snowing. Bitter cold or walking barefoot in the summer sand, it would take a lot of talking to convince me I'd want to be there.

Have you thought about a few quiet days away just to break the regular holding pattern of life and take your mind off things?
Thats exactly what i did charismatic, we went away for the weekend just gone and it was just what the doctor ordered. Half my facebook friends are going on about the snow, cold etc... and in once sense I was delighted to be here and in another, I felt odd that I was missing it all - nothing a trip to the south island wont fix tho!!!

I do really miss my best friend. If ever there was a day that I was down, a quick cuppa or glass of wine with her and the world was right again. Shes very much in my life tho and for that i'm grateful. It just sucks that with the time difference she is not always awake when I am and therefore, chatting needs a bit of planning.

Skype is brilliant, no denying it. I can cope with seeing my brother and mother on it but it was seeing my niece - she was a different child. Just walking when I left and now flying around the place almost 2 years old. A lovely little girl that doesnt know me at all and visa versa. Thats hard.

In saying all that, I will never forget why I left and what I've gone through to get here. My kids are having such a wonderful life and are very happy, which in turn makes me happy. I was pulled here, not pushed. And, I'm never going back. New Zealand is home now.

I know that this feeling that i've had is - as someone nicely put it just a "moment" and that its just part of the process of emmigrating. The break away this weekend has done me the world of good.

Thanks folks for the excellent advise you've shared. This site truly is a silver lining for me.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 9:34 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irish_eyes
Thats exactly what i did charismatic, we went away for the weekend just gone and it was just what the doctor ordered. Half my facebook friends are going on about the snow, cold etc... and in once sense I was delighted to be here and in another, I felt odd that I was missing it all - nothing a trip to the south island wont fix tho!!!

I do really miss my best friend. If ever there was a day that I was down, a quick cuppa or glass of wine with her and the world was right again. Shes very much in my life tho and for that i'm grateful. It just sucks that with the time difference she is not always awake when I am and therefore, chatting needs a bit of planning.

Skype is brilliant, no denying it. I can cope with seeing my brother and mother on it but it was seeing my niece - she was a different child. Just walking when I left and now flying around the place almost 2 years old. A lovely little girl that doesnt know me at all and visa versa. Thats hard.

In saying all that, I will never forget why I left and what I've gone through to get here. My kids are having such a wonderful life and are very happy, which in turn makes me happy. I was pulled here, not pushed. And, I'm never going back. New Zealand is home now.

I know that this feeling that i've had is - as someone nicely put it just a "moment" and that its just part of the process of emmigrating. The break away this weekend has done me the world of good.

Thanks folks for the excellent advise you've shared. This site truly is a silver lining for me.
your sounding heaps more upbeat atta girl

Dewb
Old Jan 10th 2010, 8:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad your are feeling better this week. We need to sort out an evening meal or something. How about the thai again?
Old Jan 10th 2010, 9:23 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Keep feeling the 'pull' Irish eyes!!
Glad 'moment' has passed and you're ready to face the next one lol
B x
Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:31 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: I love NZ but.....

Thats exactly what i did charismatic, we went away for the weekend just gone and it was just what the doctor ordered.

Just as well, my next plan involved becoming professional gamblers and marrying Tiger Woods so you dodged a bullet there.

From what I understand weather has happened in Britain again with catastrophic snowfalls of up to a few inches.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Charismatic
http://z.about.com/d/animatedtv/1/0/e/3/zoidberg.jpg
Just as well, my next plan involved becoming professional gamblers and marrying Tiger Woods so you dodged a bullet there.

From what I understand weather has happened in Britain again with catastrophic snowfalls of up to a few inches.
Thats an interesting plan charismatic, never say never to the gambling bit but as for tiger woods - god he is such a gobsh@#$

Was talking to me mammy today and she was saying that me aunty that lives in Co Kildare is freezing her backside off cause her pipes are frozen solid!!! I had to laugh cause I was sitting out on the deck having a coffee lappin up the sun!!!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MnB
Keep feeling the 'pull' Irish eyes!!
Glad 'moment' has passed and you're ready to face the next one lol
B x
jesus how many more moments can a girl handle? - I suppose it it doesnt matter how many more, its how I deal with them that counts
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Glad your are feeling better this week. We need to sort out an evening meal or something. How about the thai again?
thanks vitalstatistix - would love to meet up again - thai would be wonderful!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:47 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

jesus how many more moments can a girl handle? - I suppose it it doesnt matter how many more, its how I deal with them that counts

absolutely !! B x
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
I saw snowy pics of the UK and wanted to go back 'home'. Inspite of loving it here and us having a way better life here than we could in the UK I stiil get the odd pang of 'what am I doing here??" Answer is giving my kids a life they could only dream of in the UK. A dip in our lovely pool over looking a little forest compounded why life is so good here for us...ordinary folk like us don't have pools in the UK..here owning one is no big deal.

Also I think when you have spent 46 years somewhere part of you will always miss the old country. Hope you feel better soon..my cravings for the UK never last long!! Happy new year!!
intersting. I didn't know you get the odd pang like that, (me too ) thought you are 101% happy here. .

I remember you came here for a short periord when you were younger, but now you are in your 40's or 50's?? . time goes so fast eh. well I can't believe I ve been here too much too long. feel old now- especially this year. I am still too scared to think about -- what if I have to spend rest of my life here in Welly? ? (but still it's ok living here and I know I can live here. but I don't actually know what else I want more? ) just wish I was more capable of being anywhere and have lots of money and being brave. but I am opposite to that.

had a long walk with mum and me yesterday. while we were walking, we had a hot discussion on UK vs NZ and WHY life is way better here, overall. well she said she wouldn't live there unless she has to. cos its dirty old crowded crammed . Mum emphasizes that your everyday living - in a CLEAN & SAFE environment is utterly important more than anything else. not to mention the warmer weather here... She describes nz as PARADISE. and, She often tells me this.. "think about: why loads of brits wanna move here... in the first place."

but that's her own opinion tho.

Last edited by crap coffee; Jan 11th 2010 at 11:44 am.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crap coffee
intersting. I didn't know you get the odd pang like that, (me too ) thought you are 101% happy here. .

I remember you came here for a short periord when you were younger, but now you are in your 40's or 50's?? . time goes so fast eh. well I can't believe I ve been here too much too long. feel old now- especially this year. I am still too scared to think about -- what if I have to spend rest of my life here in Welly? ? (but still it's ok living here and I know I can live here. but I don't actually know what else I want more? ) just wish I was more capable of being anywhere and have lots of money and being brave. but I am opposite to that.

had a long walk with mum and me yesterday. while we were walking, we had a hot discussion on UK vs NZ and WHY life is way better here, overall. well she said she wouldn't live there unless she has to. cos its dirty old crowded crammed . Mum emphasizes that your everyday living - in a CLEAN & SAFE environment is utterly important more than anything else. not to mention the warmer weather here... She describes nz as PARADISE. and, She often tells me this.. "think about: why loads of brits wanna move here... in the first place."

haha - that bit about my age made me laugh crap coffee, where in the name of jesus did you get that i was in my 40's or 50's - So funny you think that!! I'm actually only 33!!!!

You need a better opinion of yourself and i mean that in the best possible way. Anything is possible in this life - you only get one chance so dont waste it!!! Stop worrying about whats going to happen in the future and start enjoying the here and now!!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

haha - that bit about my age made me laugh crap coffee, where in the name of jesus did you get that i was in my 40's or 50's - So funny you think that!! I'm actually only 33!!!!

:
hey I was talking to Genesis,.

Irish eyes, I feel sorry you've been through a hard time but I do understand you. think time will tell.

wonder how many of us living a "perfect life"?

cheers.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 7:55 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Welcome to the world of 'normal human emotions', they creep up on you for no particular reason, time of year, song, TV programme, a smell. We don't call it 'home sick' we call it 'family/friends sick' - that's not to say our friends are 'sick'. You miss the people, when I miss the people I always ring them, it makes me feel so much better. My OH and son do the same, when they miss friends/family they ring them. Even if we have just spoken to them and suddenly miss them, we'll ring back and chat again. I think being able to do this closes the miles. Always at the end of the phone works wonders for us.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee

Hi CC. Yes I am happy here..very content but sometimes as you can see from my most recent post I do get issues that I have to deal with..I guess just like everyone else. Wellington by the way is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cool. I just love the place. It is utterly awesome and would love the opportunity to spend some time living there. Its way more appealing than JAFA. And NZ is an awesome place to be. Whilst flecked with many, many problems its still well cool aye? I will always hanker after bits of the UK..as for living there in the perfect world i would spend 4-6 weeks there a year..as for living the 100%....not in a trillion years. NZ is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar to good to EVER leave for ever. Peace sister.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Genesis
Hi CC. Yes I am happy here..very content but sometimes as you can see from my most recent post I do get issues that I have to deal with..I guess just like everyone else. Wellington by the way is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cool. I just love the place. It is utterly awesome and would love the opportunity to spend some time living there. Its way more appealing than JAFA. And NZ is an awesome place to be. Whilst flecked with many, many problems its still well cool aye? I will always hanker after bits of the UK..as for living there in the perfect world i would spend 4-6 weeks there a year..as for living the 100%....not in a trillion years. NZ is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar to good to EVER leave for ever. Peace sister.
you are sooooooooooooooo funny -. it made me larfffffff. good to hear you seem fairly content with your life in nz anyway! and I am glad you love Wellington.

as much as you'd love to be in Welly I'd also love to be in Palmy too. I love the beautiful park and nice scenary, nice houses around. they are waaaaaaaay better than the Welly one you know!

right, is there any place in the world without issues? -every single place has got its good & bad. human beings aren't perfect after all. hence no where is perfect.

while having lunch today, just thought this - "LIFE IS SIMPLE" in NZ. though we have less choice whatsoever, still the choice we can make here isn't too bad. so certainly life isn't crap here. (I am fussy and I can't live somewhere cr@p) sometimes, a simple life can be good/healthy in a way - I don't mind - it's better than complicated.

hope you fully enjoy the life you desire in nz.

Last edited by crap coffee; Jan 14th 2010 at 2:56 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.