British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   I love NZ but..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/i-love-nz-but-647848/)

irish_eyes Jan 7th 2010 6:12 am

I love NZ but.....

hello all, just felt a huge urge to post my thoughts this evening..... For some strange reason I think i'm homesick. I love love love living here and defo do not want to go back to Ireland but i'm feeling like something is missing and cant quite put my finger on it. I saw my mam and brother and his family on a webcam last week for the first time since we left and I havent been feeling right since then. They burst into tears when they saw us and we did the same when we saw them. Anyone any idea why i'm feeling this way and any ideas on how to over come it?

Justcol Jan 7th 2010 6:37 am

Re: I love NZ but.....

Its just that your missing your family, nothing more nothing less.
Emotions are a funny thing they have a tendancy to sneek up on you
and kick you in the arse nwhen your not watching.
We've been the same since our eldest son (19) left us to return to the uk
just before xmas.
You'll get over it and put things back into perspective soon.

weejie Jan 7th 2010 8:26 am

I skype my parents and inlaws every week and feel the same,although not as bad as it used to be ( taking Xmas and New year out the equation) IT WILL GET BETTER my friend has been here over 3 years and still has her "moments" ( what we call it when we are homesick and feel down :o)

Phyl x

Dewb09 Jan 7th 2010 11:51 am

Originally Posted by irish_eyes (Post 8225265)
hello all, just felt a huge urge to post my thoughts this evening..... For some strange reason I think i'm homesick. I love love love living here and defo do not want to go back to Ireland but i'm feeling like something is missing and cant quite put my finger on it. I saw my mam and brother and his family on a webcam last week for the first time since we left and I havent been feeling right since then. They burst into tears when they saw us and we did the same when we saw them. Anyone any idea why i'm feeling this way and any ideas on how to over come it?

Oh how horrid for you, I guess it was just seeing them that stirred up all these emotions, its only natural its going to be hard and seeing them must have been a real bolt.

I so dread coping with these times when we finally come over. But like others say you will be right :thumbsup:

Chin up
Dewb

Jan n Neil Jan 7th 2010 5:53 pm

We have discussed this a lot: we feel we are probably not homesick but we freely acknowledge that there are people we miss terribly. I think that's the difference: you are probably not homesick for "home" as NZ is your "home" and if your loved ones came out too you would have no problem :) Thank goodness for Skype :thumbsup:

Jan

NZGrl Jan 7th 2010 6:04 pm

Its funny because I have the same thoughts...My mum arrives in NZ on Saturday and stays for 5 weeks...I do like it here but Im certain that if she lived here I would feel much more settled...

Im currently trying to get my brother to look at NZ rather than Canada so then Ill have the family close by.

Genesis Jan 7th 2010 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by NZGrl (Post 8226691)
Its funny because I have the same thoughts...My mum arrives in NZ on Saturday and stays for 5 weeks...I do like it here but Im certain that if she lived here I would feel much more settled...

Im currently trying to get my brother to look at NZ rather than Canada so then Ill have the family close by.

I saw snowy pics of the UK and wanted to go back 'home'. Inspite of loving it here and us having a way better life here than we could in the UK I stiil get the odd pang of 'what am I doing here??" Answer is giving my kids a life they could only dream of in the UK. A dip in our lovely pool over looking a little forest compounded why life is so good here for us...ordinary folk like us don't have pools in the UK..here owning one is no big deal.

Also I think when you have spent 46 years somewhere part of you will always miss the old country. Hope you feel better soon..my cravings for the UK never last long!! Happy new year!!

Lily77cat Jan 8th 2010 6:03 am

we have been here 18months and i can quite honestly say i do not miss england. However, i miss my mum and dad terribly and this was only the 2nd christmas i have ever spent away from them. :thumbdown: Just thinking about them being so far away can set me off crying (but crying isnt all that strange for me at the moment being 8months preggers!)
and i know that it will be worse once the baby comes and me mum goes back. skype is brill though and i love chatting to them, although i know what you mean- it can be stressful and i do get upset afterwards soemtimes :confused:
but hang in there- its tough but just think of what we have moved here for and all the benefits that we have. and dont forget that you will not have to look back when you are 50 and say i wish i had .....
you decided to come for a reason and you are making a go of your life and not living someone elses. i have to keep reminding myself why we have come but it does work- and hey if you are missing them then boot up the webcam again and chat again. :thumbsup::thumbsup: i chat more now to both my parents than i ever did when i was in england.
take care :rofl:

Tomsk Jan 8th 2010 6:54 am

It's hard & I reckon just about everyone on here has some kind of sense of what you're going through. That's not to belittle it...it's a hard, hard emotion, and there's just no way around it. I'm another that loves the life that I & my family have in NZ, no real homesickness pangs for England....bot honest to goodness there's a few people that I'd love to have near again. I've found it hard this year because a few of my important people back in the UK have had a really tough year last year...normally I'd have been there for them, even if it was only for a bit of crying on shoulders, working our way through wine bottles and the resultant drunken ramblings to put the world to rights...and you just can't do that the same on Skype.
All I can say is that for me it ebbs and flows and as I've built a new life and new friends over here I've found that I get those tough moments less frequently, but sometimes they just still somehow appear from nowhere and they hit hard.
Take care of yourself, make the most of the contact that you can have & I truly hope that it gets easier for you.

bevissa65 Jan 9th 2010 7:10 am

Originally Posted by irish_eyes (Post 8225265)

Feel for you, its hard isn't it. I cry nearly every time I speak to my dad, thank god he hasn't got Skype I don't think I could cope with that :( I just remember how much we love it here and the life we are giving ourselves and our daughter outweighs anything really. Sometimes you have to be a bit selfish and live your life how and where you want. It will get better (I hope) keep smiling and enjoy the sunshine xxx:thumbsup: Bevissa

Dewb09 Jan 9th 2010 7:19 am

[QUOTE=Genesis;8227180]I saw snowy pics of the UK and wanted to go back 'home'. Inspite of loving it here and us having a way better life here than we could in the UK I stiil get the odd pang of 'what am I doing here??" Answer is giving my kids a life they could only dream of in the UK. A dip in our lovely pool over looking a little forest compounded why life is so good here for us...ordinary folk like us don't have pools in the UK..here owning one is no big deal.

Awww that is so lovely :thumbsup: hope you conitinue having such a good life in NZ

Dewb

Dewb09 Jan 9th 2010 7:21 am

Originally Posted by bevissa65 (Post 8231262)
Feel for you, its hard isn't it. I cry nearly every time I speak to my dad, thank god he hasn't got Skype I don't think I could cope with that :( I just remember how much we love it here and the life we are giving ourselves and our daughter outweighs anything really. Sometimes you have to be a bit selfish and live your life how and where you want. It will get better (I hope) keep smiling and enjoy the sunshine xxx:thumbsup: Bevissa

:thumbsup: so true I swing from feeling very selfish about our decision to go, to feeling NO you only get one life live it how you want........

Tough though :(

Dewb

speks Jan 9th 2010 8:30 am

I have traveled a great deal living in most of the international cities in this world, I love what NZ offers however life is about people... and people make a place :D

Dewb09 Jan 9th 2010 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by speks (Post 8231399)
I have traveled a great deal living in most of the international cities in this world, I love what NZ offers however life is about people... and people make a place :D

:thumbsup: too true

Hi & Welcome by the way

Dewb

Charismatic Jan 10th 2010 7:22 am

My dad (Who lives out in Co. Clare) e-mailed me to say it was bitterly cold and snowing. Bitter cold or walking barefoot in the summer sand, it would take a lot of talking to convince me I'd want to be there.

Have you thought about a few quiet days away just to break the regular holding pattern of life and take your mind off things?