Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I LOVE new zealand

I LOVE new zealand

Old Feb 14th 2006, 6:18 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default I LOVE new zealand

Fed up with negatives, thought I'd start a "go new zealand" thread.

(early footnote - not experienced south island winter yet)

I love the fact that it never gets REALLY REALLY cold - so cold that you can't even feel your fingers when you put the lock in your car door. That in most places "anti freeze" is probably a term you use in the same sentance as you would refer to frustrated Brits.

That I can drive home from work (even in the rain) along a beautiful waterfront surrounded by yachts, islands, and any outdoorsie types that may be up for the weather - if it is raining or shining - makes no difference.
That there are loads of free local events that are available for all the family to attend.
Gorgeous countryside that is never more than 40 mins from either lovely seaside or lakeside activities, that cater from sunbathers to skydivers and everything inbetween.
That you can buy a house that if you are really honest is perhaps a "bit" bigger than the one they could afford in the UK.
Rather than your "caravan" you can buy a 24ft, 4 berth boat to travel around the islands.
The public outdoor spaces are clean, well kept and FREE to use, most have BBQs that are either free or small cost.
The taxes are higher, but you don't mind paying because your getting all this other stuff "free".
People will stop to help you - especially if you appear lost an will offer you help.
Customer service - is just that - retailers look after you and you get your shopping packed for you.
Police are here to help you.
Drunks and beggars don't threaten you with unlucky heather and curse you and your family for all eternity.
School playing fields are free to use all the time, and not closed after 3.05.
Kids seem to have some sort of respect for elders.
Family is important, is key and the heart of every family.
Life is centred around the family, the culture is too.

For those who tried it and didn't like it - never mind, I'm sure your "place" exists somewhere.

---------------
E Ihowā Atua,
O ngā iwi mātou rā
Āta whakarongona;
Me aroha noa
Kia hua ko te pai;
Kia tau tō atawhai;
Manaakitia mai
Aotearoa
--------------

kia ora everyone
Old Feb 14th 2006, 6:24 am
turkeytickler

Default Re: I LOVE new zealand

Originally Posted by P18PPS
Fed up with negatives, thought I'd start a "go new zealand" thread.

(early footnote - not experienced south island winter yet)

I love the fact that it never gets REALLY REALLY cold - so cold that you can't even feel your fingers when you put the lock in your car door. That in most places "anti freeze" is probably a term you use in the same sentance as you would refer to frustrated Brits.

That I can drive home from work (even in the rain) along a beautiful waterfront surrounded by yachts, islands, and any outdoorsie types that may be up for the weather - if it is raining or shining - makes no difference.
That there are loads of free local events that are available for all the family to attend.
Gorgeous countryside that is never more than 40 mins from either lovely seaside or lakeside activities, that cater from sunbathers to skydivers and everything inbetween.
That you can buy a house that if you are really honest is perhaps a "bit" bigger than the one they could afford in the UK.
Rather than your "caravan" you can buy a 24ft, 4 berth boat to travel around the islands.
The public outdoor spaces are clean, well kept and FREE to use, most have BBQs that are either free or small cost.
The taxes are higher, but you don't mind paying because your getting all this other stuff "free".
People will stop to help you - especially if you appear lost an will offer you help.
Customer service - is just that - retailers look after you and you get your shopping packed for you.
Police are here to help you.
Drunks and beggars don't threaten you with unlucky heather and curse you and your family for all eternity.
School playing fields are free to use all the time, and not closed after 3.05.
Kids seem to have some sort of respect for elders.
Family is important, is key and the heart of every family.
Life is centred around the family, the culture is too.

For those who tried it and didn't like it - never mind, I'm sure your "place" exists somewhere.

---------------
E Ihowā Atua,
O ngā iwi mātou rā
Āta whakarongona;
Me aroha noa
Kia hua ko te pai;
Kia tau tō atawhai;
Manaakitia mai
Aotearoa
--------------

kia ora everyone
Its uncanny - its like you have distilled all my thoughts into one eloquent passage.... you have to admit the sausages taste like dogshite though.....

Old Feb 14th 2006, 6:25 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Hoorah!
I once started a 'I'm sorry to be positive' thread - that got the arse kicked out of it before the end of page 1 by the negative harpies. Be good to see this one get to page 2 before the same happens!

I love New Zealand. Only been here 5 months I know - but it feels like home.
Best thing we ever did.

Works for me.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 6:28 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Keep the positives coming, we will defeat the darkside!!!

bangers are shit though!!

HOWEVER, beehive bacon is GOOOOOORGEOUS! so are kebabs, fish and chips, ice cream, bread, sushi, sea, beaches, sun, cheap wine, lion red ...!!! rugby, tennis, cockroaches, gnats, AND POSSUMS !!!!
Old Feb 14th 2006, 6:31 am
turkeytickler

Keep the positives coming, we will defeat the darkside!!!

bangers are shit though!!

HOWEVER, beehive bacon is GOOOOOORGEOUS! so are kebabs, fish and chips, ice cream, bread, sushi, sea, beaches, sun, cheap wine, lion red ...!!! rugby, tennis, cockroaches, gnats, AND POSSUMS !!!!
i was actually being sarcastic (apart from the sausages bit)

Old Feb 14th 2006, 6:33 am

go back and eat hot dogs all day then... with extra chilli and 1080!!
Old Feb 14th 2006, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

we love new zealand (and likewise only been here 4 months)

everyone we've met has made us feel welcome and included
we've never before spent so much time outdoors (and enjoyed it!)
the kids have been to the beach more times in the last 4 months than they have in their lifetime (OK they are only 4 and 19mths!)
we both enjoy work
we don't spend hours travelling to get anywhere remotely pleasant
we bought a house and it didn't cause us major stress (although we've yet to move - and we were assisted by a very nice real estate agent - Mr Bookemjano!!)
all things bureaucratic have been easy to organise

it's definately been right for us - no regrets.
Vicki
Old Feb 14th 2006, 6:35 am

hurahh!!!
Old Feb 14th 2006, 6:43 am
turkeytickler

go back and eat hot dogs all day then... with extra chilli and 1080!!
if your idea of a decent sausage is one that goes in a hot dog i can see why you like new zealand so much

Old Feb 14th 2006, 6:58 am

You are entitled to your own opinion, which I agreed with before, so all this sausage talk is pointless.

The good things I have experienced out here eclipse the bad sausages, which I have always felt are an overrated food anyway. The snapper i bought the other day from the fish market cooked so great on the BBQ i didn't miss sausage for a minute.

Back to the good points:

The coastal areas we have been to have very clean water, no floating things, if you know what I mean. Buying a house can be completed in two weeks. More and more are there waiting to be shared
Old Feb 14th 2006, 7:03 am
turkeytickler

You are entitled to your own opinion, which I agreed with before, so all this sausage talk is pointless.

The good things I have experienced out here eclipse the bad sausages, which I have always felt are an overrated food anyway. The snapper i bought the other day from the fish market cooked so great on the BBQ i didn't miss sausage for a minute.

Back to the good points:

The coastal areas we have been to have very clean water, no floating things, if you know what I mean. Buying a house can be completed in two weeks. More and more are there waiting to be shared
i think it is very glib of you to dismiss this talk of sausages as pointless.... although it is heartwarming to hear you have found things to eclipse a bad sausage - there is after all nothing worse than a bad sausage that goes uneclipsed..... why only this weekend i had a bad sausage at a bbq and i am beside myself waiting for the next eclipse. does it matter if its solar or lunar?

Old Feb 14th 2006, 7:04 am
turkeytickler

The coastal areas we have been to have very clean water, no floating things, if you know what I mean.
what about your yacht?

Old Feb 14th 2006, 7:08 am

The boat glides rather than floats.

Solar, Lunar, lunar, solar a good eclipse is worth its weight in gold, or is that Biddy's boat. I wouldn't say its worth its weight in Kiwi sausages though. The tomatoes we had a dinner tonight were very good to.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 7:12 am
turkeytickler

The boat glides rather than floats.

Solar, Lunar, lunar, solar a good eclipse is worth its weight in gold, or is that Biddy's boat. I wouldn't say its worth its weight in Kiwi sausages though. The tomatoes we had a dinner tonight were very good to.
im not sure you can weigh an event but nevertheless, drawing on the analogy i suspect an eclipse's theoretical weight in kiwi sausages would require all the dogs in the universe (on the off chance there are some on another planet somewhere) to be slaughtered for the meat.... i think you have found a use for your 1080 .....

Old Feb 14th 2006, 7:39 am
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Add me to the "I love NZ thread"

Most of my reasons to love the country have been posted already

I already knew that I wouldn't be better off financially by moving here but career wise, NZ will definitely give me a boost, I have had so many more opportunities than a whole lifetime in Europe (ok I'm not that old I know )...and only been here for 2 months in a bit.

The best part for me is the friendliness. It's so refreshing to see people be so friendly to you even if they hardly know you. Living in London has definitely made me a little bitter but this feeling has worn off

Most administrative tasks have been a breeze here: finding a place to live, opening a bank account, setting up electricity bill/internet access (and actually speaking to someone over the phone in NZ, not a machine or someone in another country), and most companies like these have a freephone number (and still free if you call from a mobile) - unlike where I previously lived.

The beaches are great and landscapes beautiful, even in Auckland.

I do understand that NZ isn't for everyone, but it certainly is a great place for me

Last edited by urbanproject; Feb 14th 2006 at 7:42 am. Reason: typos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.