Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I just want to share - I've stopped smoking

I just want to share - I've stopped smoking

Old Jul 11th 2009, 8:54 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default I just want to share - I've stopped smoking

So. We've just had the year from hell! Suffice to say, it's been a year of very little luxury and a whole lot of stress and strain. However. That's all over now and just when I can afford them again I've stopped smoking I was looking for a thread I'm sure I saw on here at one time for people who'd stopped - but couldn't find it.

I've smoked on and off (mostly on) since I was about 17 - 48 now - and it's really started to get to me recently. My Dad had emphysema but thankfully died with a heart attack - I'd have hated to have to watch him go with the emphysema - and lately I've been finding it hard to catch my breath. So I smoked one last Monday morning and came back to my desk and thought what the hell am I doing? I hate these f e c k i n things! And I threw my baccy, papers and filters in the bin! And have quite happily not had one since I'd previously read the Allen Carr book and used that to get through that Monday. I then started reading the book again and by Tuesday evening I'd gone 'ching ching' and I knew that I was going to be ok

I'm never going to smoke again.

I'm a vodka in one hand, a fag in the other and feet on the table type so this is a really big deal - I have to sort of reinvent myself I'm still doing the vodka and I don't actually feel any different (I'm singing to myself a lot ).

Anyway, I'm not writing this to be virtuous or anything but if anyone's thinking about it I'd really recommend getting Allen Carr's book - I'm soo happy
Old Jul 11th 2009, 8:59 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I just want to share - I've stopped smoking

WOW

Good on ya!

I've sent you some Karma! Keep it up!
Old Jul 11th 2009, 9:02 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matewx
WOW

Good on ya!

I've sent you some Karma! Keep it up!
I'm sitting here with a big silly grin on my face - ok, that might be the vodka (shit, it's lovely to be able to afford that too! haha)
Old Jul 11th 2009, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Batty

Well done...you go girl! A dose of karma winging its way to you
Old Jul 11th 2009, 9:21 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Batty
I'm sitting here with a big silly grin on my face - ok, that might be the vodka (shit, it's lovely to be able to afford that too! haha)
That's fantastic - well done you! There was a thread, probably the one I started back in the UK where I gave up 4 months before coming to NZ. I lasted one further month here before everyone I initially met was a smoker! And here I am still with my best friend Marlboro ...

I may have to seek out that book. I paid $200 for hypnotherapy here that didn't work and I have a stash of patches in my kitchen cupboard. I did manage 2 weeks with no alcohol and no fags prior to an operation so I was stupid to start again after that ...

Keep us posted with how you go. Oh, one other thing though, does your OH smoke? Mine does and it makes it very hard to stop without him stopping too?
Old Jul 11th 2009, 9:23 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

No smoking in my flat hun!!

So you best quit!
Old Jul 11th 2009, 9:31 am

No smoking in my flat hun!!

So you best quit!
I assume you'll at least have windows that open? Or are you too poor?
Old Jul 11th 2009, 9:33 am
By name and by nature

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
That's fantastic - well done you! There was a thread, probably the one I started back in the UK where I gave up 4 months before coming to NZ. I lasted one further month here before everyone I initially met was a smoker! And here I am still with my best friend Marlboro ...

I may have to seek out that book. I paid $200 for hypnotherapy here that didn't work and I have a stash of patches in my kitchen cupboard. I did manage 2 weeks with no alcohol and no fags prior to an operation so I was stupid to start again after that ...

Keep us posted with how you go. Oh, one other thing though, does your OH smoke? Mine does and it makes it very hard to stop without him stopping too?
The best thing about the book is that he suggests that you DON'T stop until you've finished the book so you can actually read it and still smoke. I was going to do hypnotherapy and I thought I'm damn well able to do this myself (and the book).

Yep, OH does smoke. We've stopped together before and lasted 13 months, then he had to stop because his chest wasn't good and I stopped for his sake but as you know, you can't DO that - it has to be for you. Five weeks later (to avert the possibility of my doing time for murder ) we started again. This time, I'm doing it for ME and he's going outside to smoke which immediately means he's smoking less and he's started reading the book again and says he will stop too. D'you know what? It doesn't actually matter. I have to do what I have to do for myself and he has to do the same. I don't mean that in a bad or uncaring way but this is an addiction, it's not a habit, and people have to deal with their own addictions.

Get your hands on the book Caroline - it makes so much sense and the beauty of it is that you can keep reading it until you're ready to stop
Old Jul 11th 2009, 9:34 am
Live from CHCH...

Am poor send me money...
Old Jul 11th 2009, 9:40 am

Am poor send me money...
Dream on....

The best thing about the book is that he suggests that you DON'T stop until you've finished the book so you can actually read it and still smoke. I was going to do hypnotherapy and I thought I'm damn well able to do this myself (and the book).

Yep, OH does smoke. We've stopped together before and lasted 13 months, then he had to stop because his chest wasn't good and I stopped for his sake but as you know, you can't DO that - it has to be for you. Five weeks later (to avert the possibility of my doing time for murder ) we started again. This time, I'm doing it for ME and he's going outside to smoke which immediately means he's smoking less and he's started reading the book again and says he will stop too. D'you know what? It doesn't actually matter. I have to do what I have to do for myself and he has to do the same. I don't mean that in a bad or uncaring way but this is an addiction, it's not a habit, and people have to deal with their own addictions.

Get your hands on the book Caroline - it makes so much sense and the beauty of it is that you can keep reading it until you're ready to stop
Well, I'm off for tooth whitening so I shall have to stop otherwise it'll be a complete waste of money. Hubby stopped smoking by using the book and being hypnotised by the man himself! But sadly it didn't last. Funny, I think about saying all the people I met in NZ when we arrived smoked, but all my long term friends here now, there are only 3 smokers out of like 20, so bit of a social outcast ....
Old Jul 11th 2009, 9:50 am
By name and by nature

so bit of a social outcast ....
That's part of it. it used to be that all the 'fun' people were outside smoking but now that'd mean that everyone inside who is actually having fun is an illusion of sorts - and that's not the case. Look at the people whose company you enjoy and who have never smoked and you've just got to start questioning your beliefs.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 9:53 am

That's part of it. it used to be that all the 'fun' people were outside smoking but now that'd mean that everyone inside who is actually having fun is an illusion of sorts - and that's not the case. Look at the people whose company you enjoy and who have never smoked and you've just got to start questioning your beliefs.
You are absolutely right. That and the ads saying a smoker dies on average 15 years earlier than a non-smoker. Suddenly, in the last year of my 30's, that seems to be cutting it bloody fine ...

And I am soooo determined to outlive my OH for the life insurance ...

Just looked at my ashtray - 14 fags in 3 hours. Oh dear.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 10:17 am
By name and by nature

You are absolutely right. That and the ads saying a smoker dies on average 15 years earlier than a non-smoker. Suddenly, in the last year of my 30's, that seems to be cutting it bloody fine ...

And I am soooo determined to outlive my OH for the life insurance ...

Just looked at my ashtray - 14 fags in 3 hours. Oh dear.
Never mind the life insurance - you'll miss out on being the daft ol bat who can say anything and get away with it That keeps me going sometimes
Old Jul 11th 2009, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

AngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so proud of everyone who can stop smoning and stay stopped. I've tried so hard but just can't do it a habit i truely wish I had NEVER started tried patches but was alergic to them tried acupucture lasted 3hrs! tried inhalator waste of time 2wks ago did hypnotherapy came home and had a fag! Think it's just going to be shrear will power but don't have it at moment too stressed!!!! Well done to you
Old Jul 11th 2009, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations and well done Batty!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.