Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I just want to share - I've stopped smoking

I just want to share - I've stopped smoking

Old Aug 18th 2009, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I just want to share - I've stopped smoking

Originally Posted by Batty

BTW, has anyone else had swine flu? It's a bugger!
How do you know for sure that it was swine flu you had?

We all thought for sure we had swine flu 6 weeks or so ago, only ever been ill like that a couple of times in my life and not for years and years either - it utterly wiped us out for a few days, we couldn't eat a thing and we slept two days straight, just couldn't get up really, all of us in the living room with the heatpump and buried in duvets coz it was very cold then (I had to force myself to keep extra-bundled up to sweat it out, as it felt at one point like it could turn into pneumonia). Then over the next few days we used up at least 6 large boxes of tissues between us, then hacking coughs, and all the time dehydrated, etc. (I can't even imagine going through that in a typical New Zealand damp unheated bedroom with just a hot water bottle. I'm sure after 2 days of it we would have had pneumonia, it was the worst cold miserable weather of the winter right when we got sick. I did have a wonder and not just a few times about how any ill New Zealanders would be coping right then, especially if everyone in the family was ill all at once like we were?? Actually, I'm still wondering!)

Anyway, when I got worried enough to phone the swine flu hotline, first thing nurse asked was if any of us had fever and I said no (I don't have a thermometer, so actually I don't know for a fact that none of us did have a fever), and she said "nup, not swine flu" and hung up.

So, after all that sufferin', we don't even know for sure whether we did or didn't have actual swine flu. Which means, of course, that we now still have to worry like everyone else does about gettin' it

So were you actually tested for swine flu? What were your symptoms, and how did it all play out as it were? I haven't met or spoken to anyone yet who says they had it who knows beyond doubt, through testing that is, that it was swine flu - it's all assumption on their part based on the symptoms they had (and they all say they had fever - damn!!).

Last edited by Black Sheep; Aug 18th 2009 at 1:02 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 8:54 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Black Sheep
How do you know for sure that it was swine flu you had?

We all thought for sure we had swine flu 6 weeks or so ago, only ever been ill like that a couple of times in my life and not for years and years either - it utterly wiped us out for a few days, we couldn't eat a thing and we slept two days straight, just couldn't get up really, all of us in the living room with the heatpump and buried in duvets coz it was very cold then (I had to force myself to keep extra-bundled up to sweat it out, as it felt at one point like it could turn into pneumonia). Then over the next few days we used up at least 6 large boxes of tissues between us, then hacking coughs, and all the time dehydrated, etc. (I can't even imagine going through that in a typical New Zealand damp unheated bedroom with just a hot water bottle. I'm sure after 2 days of it we would have had pneumonia, it was the worst cold miserable weather of the winter right when we got sick. I did have a wonder and not just a few times about how any ill New Zealanders would be coping right then, especially if everyone in the family was ill all at once like we were?? Actually, I'm still wondering!)

Anyway, when I got worried enough to phone the swine flu hotline, first thing nurse asked was if any of us had fever and I said no (I don't have a thermometer, so actually I don't know for a fact that none of us did have a fever), and she said "nup, not swine flu" and hung up.

So, after all that sufferin', we don't even know for sure whether we did or didn't have actual swine flu. Which means, of course, that we now still have to worry like everyone else does about gettin' it

So were you actually tested for swine flu? What were your symptoms, and how did it all play out as it were? I haven't met or spoken to anyone yet who says they had it who knows beyond doubt, through testing that is, that it was swine flu - it's all assumption on their part based on the symptoms they had (and they all say they had fever - damn!!).
They'd stopped testing for the H1N1 by the time we got it but our doctor told us we had it. We had fever, couldn't move - actually I lay on the couch for a week and a half! I wasn't even out of work that long when I had my appendix out. THEN, when you think you're over it, it hits again - and again. There were four of us who had been together on a Saturday who got it at the same time and we've all had more than one lot of antibiotics - everyone got pneumonia or a chest infection and/or bronchitis. It seems to go straight for the chest. We're not sure exactly where we picked it up but one of my colleagues came back from Peru sick She's now on her second round of it.

Oh and thanks for the concern regarding the house but we were perfectly warm and cosy :-)
Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:53 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
...and it’s also very sexy. Don’t care to explain why but it just is .

I think you could be deluding yourself. Unless you are referring to its after sex appeal?
Old Aug 21st 2009, 5:41 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Keep working on it batty .