Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I haven't been on here for a long time

I haven't been on here for a long time

Old May 6th 2007, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute
Default I haven't been on here for a long time

But I had a quick glance through the threads and it seems to be the same old story - money...

New Zealand - to me - is the absolute best place in the world.

The kid's school has a play area that would be banned in the UK (they might hurt themselves) - there is even competitive sport !!

The weather is amazing - even though they think it's the worse summer ever its the best I ever had (plus 30 degrees often enough). I was in shorts and T shirt today, but it is cold at night. But I did live in Scotland for 14 years.

I don't even bother to buy a newspaper now - who cares about the rest of the World's problems you're well out of it here. Forget the UK and our (their) bloody hospitality to all the Worlds poor. Kiwi's look after themselves first as you should do in Britain.

The people are so freindly and have time for their fellow man. There's none of the dog eat dog - keep up with the Jones's mentality.

BUT - big BUT - it does help if you come over with plenty of pounds. If you've got a few quid and a good job lined up then it's heaven, but I do appreciate it is a struggle in paradise for your average Kiwi. So come prepared.
Old May 6th 2007, 12:47 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I haven't been on here for a long time

Originally Posted by Woodlea
But I had a quick glance through the threads and it seems to be the same old story - money...

The kid's school has a play area that would be banned in the UK (they might hurt themselves) - there is even competitive sport !!

The weather is amazing - even though they think it's the worse summer ever its the best I ever had (plus 30 degrees often enough). I was in shorts and T shirt today, but it is cold at night. But I did live in Scotland for 14 years.

I don't even bother to buy a newspaper now - who cares about the rest of the World's problems you're well out of it here. Forget the UK and our (their) bloody hospitality to all the Worlds poor. Kiwi's look after themselves first as you should do in Britain.

The people are so freindly and have time for their fellow man. There's none of the dog eat dog - keep up with the Jones's mentality.

BUT - big BUT - it does help if you come over with plenty of pounds. If you've got a few quid and a good job lined up then it's heaven, but I do appreciate it is a struggle in paradise for your average Kiwi. So come prepared.
can i be cheeky - whats a good amount of GBP money to bring?
Old May 6th 2007, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Well we brought £200K that's enough to set you up for life here, its so cheap if you're not on the property ladder
Old May 6th 2007, 2:14 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

Well we brought £200K that's enough to set you up for life here, its so cheap if you're not on the property ladder
is that £200K in total...did you have to buy a house with that then live on the rest
you say it's so cheap if you're not on the property ladder!!! do you mean if you've not got a mortgage

thanks
Old May 6th 2007, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

ezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mandie.H
is that £200K in total...did you have to buy a house with that then live on the rest
you say it's so cheap if you're not on the property ladder!!! do you mean if you've not got a mortgage

thanks
yes I think thats what woodlea meant. Bought a house outright with no mortgage.
Old May 6th 2007, 7:08 pm
Banned

Apple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the rough

Thats a very nice amount, its 5 times what we brought but we are coping ok, yeah some weeks there is not enough for beer, but we have a nice house with a bit of land and are all happy as
Old May 6th 2007, 8:11 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Beats Turrif any day eh? Sounds like youy have settled well (as we have), long may it continue
Karen B
Old May 6th 2007, 9:09 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

We came here with $500 to our name, seem to be doing ok so far. Even managed to buy a house.

Old May 6th 2007, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by karonious
Beats Turrif any day eh? Sounds like youy have settled well (as we have), long may it continue
Karen B

Bloody right Karen beats Turra and Rothes, what a day today, 19 ° from the norwester, its heaven. Glad you've settled well too.
Old May 6th 2007, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mandie.H

thanks
Well, I've got a mortgage now, cos I want to do other things with the cash. There's no capital gains tax, so if you build a house and sell it, the profit is all yours, no greedy Gordon Brown wanting to get his fat hands on a slice, no inheritance tax either. But things are cheap, 2 adults, 2 kids to watch the Crusaders - $50, watch Arsenal £120 (if you can get tickets!)

No Mandie, I haven't retired - I don't think you could buy a house and live on the rest off £200k, not in NZ.
Old May 6th 2007, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple Tree
Thats a very nice amount, its 5 times what we brought but we are coping ok, yeah some weeks there is not enough for beer, but we have a nice house with a bit of land and are all happy as
Agree-not sure I've even made £200,000 yet,but we brought £30,000 and it was enough for us!
Old May 6th 2007, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by danny.f
Agree-not sure I've even made £200,000 yet,but we brought £30,000 and it was enough for us!
Hey Danny, me and my lad were cheering on the Scousers last week despite being Arsenal, I hope they don't make hard work of it on May 23 like two years ago!
Old May 7th 2007, 12:31 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

I don't even bother to buy a newspaper now - who cares about the rest of the World
spoken like a true Kiwi!!
Old May 7th 2007, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Avid
spoken like a true Kiwi!!
I feel happier and more at home here than I have done in the UK for years
Old May 7th 2007, 7:38 am
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough

I feel happier and more at home here than I have done in the UK for years
DITTO and I am in full agreement,even my blood pressure has dropped.I like the bit about the hospitality of Britain (towards the unwanted asylum bogus seekers as they are coming through all those other countries first to get to Britain) I back the KIWI way of life anyday,I have far more here than I had in the UK and am far more chilled out.
Avid get a job here and see the real difference in work between the 2 countries its not just the wages that make it different its the whole way of life and the attitude.I take it you have a work permit?.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.