Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I hate those mices to pieces

I hate those mices to pieces

Old Jun 17th 2011, 1:30 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default I hate those mices to pieces

It's that time of year, when our house gets invaded by mice trying to escape the cold. Last week, we trapped six in a single night!

Like a season of Survivor, there appear to be only a couple left. But they flipping smart buggers! Mensa mice!

I have tried alsorts in the traps, peanut butter, jam (responsible for the carnage last week), chocolate, cheese and grains. Every morning the traps have been either ignored or the bait eaten.

Any ideas to deal with the pesky rodents?

Yes we have a cat, it couldn't catch a mouse if it fell into her mouth.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 2:33 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I hate those mices to pieces

Two wire grids in close proximity with a high voltage diffrence between them and some food in the middle?
Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:51 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I had a mouse problem (in the UK) I bought some of that poison that they eat and then take back to the nest. It is supposed to kill them all, and I never saw them again so I guess it worked. Don't know where you get it here though. I'll ask my mum!
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:07 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

You need a 2 year-old tomcat. Ours seems to be in his hunting prime. Bargain from the SPCA.
Up to six mice a night. The only problem is most are deposited headless on the carpet or doormat and the rest are brought in alive and occasionally abandoned when he loses interest.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default I hate those mices to pieces

Try Maltesers, always worked for me (and them).
Old Jun 17th 2011, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Try a sonic plug in deterrent- I brought mine with from the UK and have had it plugged in for the past 2 years and in all that time I've only seen 2 mice (dead in their traps after their peanut butter treat).

They sell them here, quite expensive but well worth it in my opinion.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Scousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jmh
Last time I had a mouse problem (in the UK) I bought some of that poison that they eat and then take back to the nest. It is supposed to kill them all, and I never saw them again so I guess it worked. Don't know where you get it here though. I'll ask my mum!
The only problem with poison is when they run off they could die anywhere and you will only find their carcass in the summer due to the smell! Only works if they bugger off and die elsewhere!
Old Jun 17th 2011, 8:27 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scousebird
The only problem with poison is when they run off they could die anywhere and you will only find their carcass in the summer due to the smell! Only works if they bugger off and die elsewhere!
Mice a quite small - they don't smell for long!
Old Jun 17th 2011, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Scousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jmh
Depends on how many mates they have!
Old Jun 17th 2011, 9:43 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Old Jun 17th 2011, 9:45 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

We had a mouse in the house for almost a month, I think he kept getting through the grid of the mousetrap (we used those cage like traps as we don't like killing things) then eventually I think he left of his own accord cos he disappeared.

Peanut butter should work. Are you using the same traps you caught the others in? I think I read somewhere they can smell something in formerly used traps that prevents them from entering them.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
It's that time of year, when our house gets invaded by mice trying to escape the cold. Last week, we trapped six in a single night!

Like a season of Survivor, there appear to be only a couple left. But they flipping smart buggers! Mensa mice!

I have tried alsorts in the traps, peanut butter, jam (responsible for the carnage last week), chocolate, cheese and grains. Every morning the traps have been either ignored or the bait eaten.

Any ideas to deal with the pesky rodents?

Yes we have a cat, it couldn't catch a mouse if it fell into her mouth.
try a crushed up light bulb in some peanut butter, not the most humane way to go but does the trick
Old Jun 17th 2011, 11:43 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
They do if your cat ate the poisoned mouse and died as well......
Old Jun 17th 2011, 11:46 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Go on then.......the mouse eats the chocs and gets so fat it can't get back through the small hole......
Old Jun 17th 2011, 8:48 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Stormer999
They do if your cat ate the poisoned mouse and died as well......
Yeah, I had thought of that but he says his cat is not interested in catching mice. Having said that, it works quite quickly so he could keep an eye on the cat for the short time it takes. They generally die in their nest not out in the open.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.