Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I Enrolled on Mauri Ora course today

I Enrolled on Mauri Ora course today

Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:21 am
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice
Default Re: I Enrolled on Mauri Ora course today

I started reading this thread thinking rather like this:
Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
Why do you say Maori is your adopted culture? I don't find that Maori culture here is very independent of the government support it receives and does not represent mass culture in New Zealand. It seems from some that I know that it is more of a hobby. Nice that you want to learn more about it yourself. My kids have to take some Maori studies at their primary school, which is OK, but at times I think that too much time is given to it.
Now I have begun to think more like this.
Originally Posted by RobClubley
No it's not the modern culture of New Zealand, but it is the culture of the
first people to arrive here and it has a lot of historical significance. The course will also cover the European arrival, merging of cultures, modern history, from a Maori point of view of course.
The majority of Kiwis that I know are of "white European" descent and most are very dismissive and down on the Maori people and culture.
I wanted to see other points of view to help understand these attitudes as most of what you hear from day to day is quite negative.
I'm learning that for a tribal people the Maori have a very spiritual and peaceful attitude to life within their own iwi and there are lots of traditions about getting on with other tribes and avoiding wars and violence
I'm looking forward to the historical stuff to see how it is presented and I fully intend to read up on other accounts to get perspective.

At the end of the day, I'm expanding my knowledge and I'm getting a lot from it.

Now see what you have done,
you have got me bloody thinking,
thats what you have gone and done
Old Nov 7th 2007, 10:32 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Maori TV is excellent too! Not only do they have some excellent programmes, they have lots of short simple teaching programmes and you will find that the more you watch it, the more you can pick up and understand.
I watch the Maori TV channel for no other reason than I enjoy some of their programmes. They've had some wonderful interviews with older generation Maori who give an account of their lives. Facinating.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 6:38 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ned
Now see what you have done,
you have got me bloody thinking,
thats what you have gone and done
Excellent! Result!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Mauri is the essence or life-force of both animate and inanimate objects. It binds the two parts of body and spirit together. When a living thing dies, its mauri/life-force dies with it but the wairua/spirit lives on.

In other words Mauri is your life principle.

One may refer to "te mauri o te whare" (ethos of the house), or "te mauri o te whai kerero" (life force of the speeches).

Each person and object has a mauri, and the sum total of all the charactiristics of a person reflects his or her personality.

Last edited by Bellasmum; Nov 7th 2007 at 9:31 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:24 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent. I understood that but struggled to explain - as you saw!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent. I understood that but struggled to explain - as you saw!
I know how you feel Rob. I can't always explain Maori concepts in Pakeha terms.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 6:30 am
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

not sure if the word "pakeha" is all that friendly. Doesn't it mean "white parasite" or something?
Old Nov 11th 2007, 6:58 pm
Happy in Wellington

It's a perfectly acceptable word meaning non-Maori
Old Nov 11th 2007, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

As for comments about Maori not being a 'mass culture' of NZ, depends entirely upon where you live. North Island was where the majority of Maori settled as it was too cold down South and the further North you go the more Maori it gets. Northland and Bay of Plenty regions were over 25% Maori in the last Census. Not forgetting, of course, that there is also a huge popluation of mixed race people, whose names and colour alone would not make them instantly recognisable as Maori.
Actually, all Maori are of mixed race.
There are no full blooded Maori left in NZ.

Kip
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:54 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

It's a perfectly acceptable word meaning non-Maori
True, but as long as the locals keep using 'Maori' and 'pakeha' instead of 'New Zealander' or 'Kiwi' then this country will always be able to boast that it has the friendliest apartheid in the world....
Old Nov 12th 2007, 1:21 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

No it's not the modern culture of New Zealand, but it is the culture of the first people to arrive here .........
Ummm sorry matey but the Mori Ori where the first, who then were killed and eaten by the Maori's when they pooped over.

But alas, the white fella came over and peace was restored
Old Nov 12th 2007, 3:00 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid
True, but as long as the locals keep using 'Maori' and 'pakeha' instead of 'New Zealander' or 'Kiwi' then this country will always be able to boast that it has the friendliest apartheid in the world....
As a Maori/Pakeha woman I find this offensive. Or perhaps ill informed (offensive just seems so mean to say!). Locals SHOULD be using both Maori and Pakeha but as a positive word, not simply in the sense of "bloody pakeha" or "bloody maori" etc.

Think about it, where else in the world does Maori culture exist? Yes there are various other Pacific Island cultures, and there is Cook Island Maori, but NZ Maori? If it isn't celebrated in NZ both for its history, culture and future then where else would it be celebrated, learned and lived? Maoridom is hardly going to have significant cultural importance in Portugal or Spain now is it? Nor should it be.

In the very same way, Pakeha as a term only exists in NZ. It identifies New Zealanders of various European descent but one which is not necessarily their most recent identifiable culture. For instance, I may be Pakeha (and Maori) but I am certainly not English (contrary to my Coronation Street watching habits…) My English and Scottish forebears came to NZ 150 -200 years ago. To say that I am English or Scottish would be simply incorrect. Originally of Scottish and English descent would be fine. But that Pakeha (and Maori) IDENTIFIES me as a New Zealander. My pakeha heritage is important to me.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t disagree with the term NZer or kiwi, I think they are great words and I am proud to be both (even watching the rugby with French people grrr). But to not use the terms Maori and Pakeha, at least when in NZ, ignores very important facets of NZs identity -its people and its history.

Sorry rant over for now. May start up later
Old Nov 12th 2007, 3:06 am
Happy in Wellington

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
Ummm sorry matey but the Mori Ori where the first, who then were killed and eaten by the Maori's when they pooped over.

But alas, the white fella came over and peace was restored
I'll tell you more once I've read the book properly but as I skimmed through there was a section about this and it appears this might be untrue.
I'll have a look tonight.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 3:16 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t disagree with the term NZer or kiwi, I think they are great words and I am proud to be both (even watching the rugby with French people grrr). But to not use the terms Maori and Pakeha, at least when in NZ, ignores very important facets of NZs identity -its people and its history.
Hmmm....yes.....but 'Maori' and 'Pakeha' are just clever ways of saying 'white' and 'non-white', aren't they? (Not including 'non-white non-Maoris' of course...they tend to get called 'asians').

Now..if New Zealanders want to keep living as if it's 1770 and Captain Cook has just turned up, then that's fine...but if they want to move on as ONE NATION then they'd might want to perhaps think about stopping the act of characterising each other in racial terms.

Just a thought.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 3:34 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Avid
Hmmm....yes.....but 'Maori' and 'Pakeha' are just clever ways of saying 'white' and 'non-white', aren't they? (Not including 'non-white non-Maoris' of course...they tend to get called 'asians').

Now..if New Zealanders want to keep living as if it's 1770 and Captain Cook has just turned up, then that's fine...but if they want to move on as ONE NATION then they'd might want to perhaps think about stopping the act of characterising each other in racial terms.

Just a thought.
Do you think NZ isn't moving on as ONE NATION ??? explain please.

I don't believe the Maori/ Pakeha thing is as big as you are making it out to be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.