British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   I don't enjoy BBQ food. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/i-dont-enjoy-bbq-food-816435/)

BEVS Nov 28th 2013 11:54 pm

I don't enjoy BBQ food.

There. I've said it. I don't enjoy BBQ food. I can cope with a couple of skewers or maybe some wrapped fish but the rest - steak - chops - drumsticks etc leaves me uninspired to eat it.

I usually end up with salad and bread.:p

jmh Nov 29th 2013 12:00 am

Re: I don't enjoy BBQ food.

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 11012694)
There. I've said it. I don't enjoy BBQ food. I can cope with a couple of skewers or maybe some wrapped fish but the rest - steak - chops - drumsticks etc leaves me uninspired to eat it.

I usually end up with salad and bread.:p

How about a nice hangi:thumbup:

BEVS Nov 29th 2013 12:04 am

They're OK once in a while . Better than the standard BBQ but not that fond of smoky everything. We've some pals that do them for gatherings etc. & there was a place here that did them twice a year. Proper in the ground and stones jobs.

I suppose I am wondering if I am the only one who finds BBQ food samey & uninspiring.

MrsFychan Nov 29th 2013 12:26 am

Knew I wasn't the only one. dread it, mind you it does mean I don't have to cook :thumbup:

Robbie2010 Nov 29th 2013 12:38 am

Originally Posted by jmh (Post 11012700)
How about a nice hangi:thumbup:

There's no such thing!

Jan n Neil Nov 29th 2013 12:43 am

It,s like anything else it depends who,s cooking it !! If you put a bit of thought into it it always tastes better I cant be doing with these pillocks that just burn everything

Neil

Justcol Nov 29th 2013 12:58 am

its irrelevant, everyone knows BBQ's are really just excuses for getting p!ssed anyway

Well mine are :D

bourbon-biscuit Nov 29th 2013 1:18 am

BEVS, I get you.

I am fortunate in that my bestie here in Cams is a) a vegetarian b) a foodie c) a feeder d) very wealthy. BBQs with my bestie are ace - usually several incredible salads of various types, cheese board, olives, etc., and *maybe* halloumi & veg kebabs (the nod to the BBQ bit - most likely grilled tho) all washed down with cocktails. That sort of BBQ I like very much. The sort where bags of frozen sausages feature, or charred bits of cheap meat along with nasty looking squishy buns and bright ketchup, I do not like one little bit :sick:

Stormer999 Nov 29th 2013 1:39 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 11012736)
its irrelevant, everyone knows BBQ's are really just excuses for getting p!ssed anyway

Well mine are :D

Glad someone else knows why they were invented :thumbsup::thumbsup:

bearskin Nov 29th 2013 2:25 am

Nah, a decent BBQ spread is a thing of joy. What I don't get though are people who eat decent food the rest of the time, but regard BBQ food as cheap sausages and crap steak time. If you take time and effort over any other meal, why not with a BBQ-ed meal?
Our usual meal is a boned-out leg of lamb, marinaded overnight, then plonked on the grill as flattened as possible. Then slice it up on a big wooden board and to eat with breads, dips, salads - imagine a really posh kebab...
I will stoop to burgers and sausages every now and then, but it's home-made burgers (50/50 beef/pork mince) and the best snags i can get.
BTW, we tend to buy the lamb legs when they are on special - have got them as low as $7.99 a kilo, so your BBQ meat can cost well under $20 and will feed 8 at least.

Charismatic Nov 29th 2013 6:27 am

I can't speak for everyone but for me the thrill of an open fire is the thrill of the outdoors. That ecstasy of still being in some way connected to that nomadic hunter gatherer way of life and...as you watch the warm, protective glow of a fire burning into the night set to the accompanying orchestra of wildlife, feeling together and protected in a profound way rarely found in modern life.

Perhaps it's that call of the trail that softly beckon to us still, something intrinsically within us that yearns for a more peaceful existence filled with people and things we truly care about. Our children eagerly delight when they learn to make fire from flint or rubbing sticks or cooking a potato in tin foil, it is to pass a two million year old family secrets down to another generation so that they too may share the joy and hardship of our ancestors. When we tread in their footsteps we need never feel alone or helpless as to know their way of life is to appreciate our modest yet very privileged place in the world.

So, as much as we embrace modernity, we never lose my fondness for campfire bread, fishing and bushcraft. Those have an importance to us, the humans, because they are a part of who we are and remind us where we are from :).

Bo-Jangles Nov 29th 2013 7:52 am

One thing I hate about Summer, I cannot bear the stench of other people's BBQs with that rancid burning fat smell. :scarper:

bearskin Nov 29th 2013 5:43 pm

Mmmmmm, walking down to some friends round the corner, near the beach, last Saturday evening, I must have passed 5 big backyard BBQ gatherings along the way. Sounds of happy people and the smell of BBQing flesh. I was well up for a quick wet one and some feed when I arrived. Gotta love the sunny evenings and a good barbie.

bourbon-biscuit Nov 29th 2013 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 11012940)
I can't speak for everyone but for me the thrill of an open fire is the thrill of the outdoors<snip>
Those have an importance to us, the humans, because they are a part of who we are and remind us where we are from :).

Well, all this is quite lovely but most people use gas BBQs. :D

snaps Nov 29th 2013 10:04 pm

Seems the national dish of New Zealand is called Pavlova, I'll be keen to give it a go in a few weeks.