Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I could do a little help from a TV boffin.

Old Aug 12th 2009, 8:18 am
slime

simon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nice
Question I could do a little help from a TV boffin.

Hi all
Just got my philps TV from the UK and trying to setup the digital side of it
I have got all the analogue channels, but think I need to set the digital frequency setting which is in kHz, I hope all I need is that 6 digit number and then I be chuffed as beans
Can anyone help setup my TV and I buy you beer ( no work no beer) .,,,,lol

tv is PHILIPS 28pw6720D
simon

Last edited by simon-nall; Aug 12th 2009 at 8:25 am.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Foxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud of
Default Re: I could do a little help from a TV boffin.

Hi Simon

From what I believe, uk tvs will only work via sky. Just had a quick search and found this

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=uk+television

Hope it helps .

foxy
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:20 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

The PHILIPS 28pw6720D is a 28" CRT widescreen with a built in digital tuner designed to work with the UK terestrial freeview system.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think UK terestrial freeview and NZ terestrial freeview are incompatible, They use a different video compression system for a start

can someone else confirm this?

Last edited by NakiMan; Aug 13th 2009 at 1:23 am.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:35 am
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all

Yes it won't work at all. Apart from any frequency differences the NZ terrestrial freeview system uses H.264 compression, the UK system uses MPEG2.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simon-nall
Hi all
Just got my philps TV from the UK and trying to setup the digital side of it
I have got all the analogue channels, but think I need to set the digital frequency setting which is in kHz, I hope all I need is that 6 digit number and then I be chuffed as beans
Can anyone help setup my TV and I buy you beer ( no work no beer) .,,,,lol

tv is PHILIPS 28pw6720D
simon
yep like the rest of the replies, your out of luck im afraid, the UK digital is not the same as the NZ one, so to pick up the NZ digi channels you need a tv with built in tuner or a set top box.

As is is currently not really worth teh outlay for a big new telly or a set top even as the channels are pretty limited
Old Aug 13th 2009, 5:29 am
slime

simon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nice

hi all

thank for the replies guys so no beer for any one .............lol

well at least ive got the bog standard stuff and that will do for now still impressed with that as may tv from the uk dont even work here i am told. as tv only cost me £35 in the uk off ebay anyway i'm not to concerned.

thank again

simon
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick recommend for mysky - we got it recently and it's well worth the cost. Record whole series very easily - check; skip adverts very quickly - check; loads of channels to choose from - check; much better picture than the normal sky box and HDD recorder - check

Did you hear about the new Sky origami channel? - it's on paperview
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

PHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to behold

Can you get a NZ tv/freeview pci card then streem it to a uk tv set and also record to pc hard drive. I do it here in uk.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:59 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

trademe had (at the time of the olympics) some pretty cheap satellite STBs, which can be easy to set up with a dish, if you have one.
Cheaper than the terrestrial STBs and no need for the UHF aerial.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PHONEJUNKY
Can you get a NZ tv/freeview pci card then streem it to a uk tv set and also record to pc hard drive. I do it here in uk.
Yes, USB and PCI tuners are easy to get hold of so a home-build solution is one way to get a freeview PVR. Shops like PB Tech have them
Old Aug 13th 2009, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

Did you hear about the new Sky origami channel? - it's on paperview[/QUOTE]

ha ha ha only just got that!
Old Aug 13th 2009, 8:17 pm
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by PHONEJUNKY
Yes, if you have Windows 7 this is very easy to do using Media Center. With Vista or earlier versions it isn't so easy as Microsoft only added H.264 support to Media Center in Windows 7. You can stream it to an xbox 360 attached to your TV. The only catch at the moment is that NZ TV listings aren't available through MS so you have to use third-party programs to download them. For earlier versions of Windows there are homebrew solutions that involve a bit more messing around with codecs and transcoding etc.