I can't drive....

Old Jul 19th 2012, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Location: London temporarily, Auckland...bah, who knows, maybe never
Bev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really nice
Default I can't drive....

Yep, I can't drive. Never really had the inclination for most of my life as I was living in the kind of big cities where you can walk faster than most of the traffic and that had good public transport. We spent the last 5 years living on a small tropical island and there I did try to learn as public transport wasn't very good and I did eventually get a licence but I hated it and wasn't any good at it so I then just didn't drive. That didn't give me much experience anyway as there were no traffic lights, no motorways, national speed limit of 30, almost no road signs etc etc.

Anyway, we are likely to move to Auckland in September. Hubby has a good job offer, we have 170 points, clean police records, excellent qualifications, we've everything ready to file our ITA except the medicals which we're doing on Monday. Unless the medical uncovers any conditions we're not aware of, we don't expect there to be anything in the medical which derails the process.

What is worrying me a lot is that I can't drive. I accept I'll have to learn (though I don't really want to) but even that has its problems. What's getting to me is that I've read so many threads saying that you can't survive in NZ and Auckland if you don't drive. My lifestyle preference is to live somewhere where I'm within walking distance of schools, a few shops, etc. I'm not afraid of walking and I honestly prefer to walk the kids to school than to take them by car anyway. I find it really hard to believe that this is not possible in Auckland but I keep reading it. Is there not anywhere that we can go where I don't need an instant licence?

My other concerns on this are that a) based on my previous experience of driving lessons it's entirely possible that I simply won't manage to pass the test! and b) from what I've read about the test system I wouldn't be able to have passengers for the first 18months which would mean actually I wouldn't drive anywhere anyway as I have 2 young kids and if they can't come in the car with me then I can't drive so getting the initial test wouldn't solve my problem and presumably it would be harder to pass the second stage test as I won't get much practice of actual driving because I'm with the kids..... Even if I pass everything first time, it would still mean I can't drive the kids for the first 18 months + of being in NZ, so I do need to find part of Auckland where that is manageable. I really liked Browns Bay and thought that would be OK if we found a house near the main bit of town. Other suggestions would be really appreciated.

Hubby would be working in Parnell and is perfectly happy to take buses or ferries. He does drive and we will buy a car but he's not particularly keen on driving and will happily take the bus if it's easier or quicker.

I am planning to learn with an automatic this time which I hope might make it easier for me but I'm really just not one of nature's drivers.

Anyway, reading a lot of threads and opinions is making me feel that I just shouldn't even consider going to NZ as a non-driver. Is that true?
Old Jul 19th 2012, 7:40 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I can't drive....

I wouldn't entertain it frankly but then I can't comprehend not driving anyway. Auckland is somewhat like large chunks of the US, lower population density means distances are greater than you may be used to in the UK. Major shops are in out-of-town malls etc etc.

NZ has a huge amount to offer but a lot of it will be just down the road and need a drive.... and most public transport covers the main commuter routes.

You won't for instance be able to get to many of the tucked away beaches or scenic spots by public transport.

Oh and in my opinion NZ is a difficult place to learn, many of the roads are very unforgiving, as is some of the driving standards. But its not instant death either....mostly...
Old Jul 19th 2012, 7:55 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Please learn to drive, pass your driving test and get some confidence in your ability to drive before you get to New Zealand. My husband, a kiwi, says it's almost unheard of for an able bodied person age 17 or over not to have their driving license.

You can get an NZ driving license in exchange for your British driving license. Albeit, they don't keep your British driving license and it's still valid.

Auckland drivers have a reputation for being rude and dangerous drivers. Get as much confidence in your driving ability on the road before you arrive in NZ.

Just as a 'heads up' a prospective employer will ask you for your driving license details even if the job has nothing to do with driving ! I'm into office admin, every job I've applied so far in NZ, they have asked me for my driving license details which I've been happy to supply.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jul 19th 2012 at 7:58 am.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bev K
I can't drive
You'll fit right in
Old Jul 19th 2012, 8:14 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
You'll fit right in
Lol!!!
Old Jul 19th 2012, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

It aint half as bad as everyone makes out.
Most kiwis are crap drivers but they tend to only kill each other and leave the rest of us alone
Old Jul 19th 2012, 8:22 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

We lived in Devonport on the Northshore.

Pretty much everything you want within a nice walkable microcosm. Plus you have the ferries to central Auckland, easy access to Queens Street and the Britomart.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 8:28 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
It aint half as bad as everyone makes out.
Most kiwis are crap drivers but they tend to only kill each other and leave the rest of us alone
They like to brake test their vehicles on power poles too. There was a fatal crash in a town nearby to where I live. The driver ploughed into an empty building as he had declined to take the bend in the road in the middle of the night.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
You'll fit right in
Old Jul 19th 2012, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie
They like to brake test their vehicles on power poles too. There was a fatal crash in a town nearby to where I live. The driver ploughed into an empty building as he had declined to take the bend in the road in the middle of the night.
Yeah, guess they weren't wearing a seatbelt too.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 9:57 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, I can't drive. Never really had the inclination for most of my life as I was living in the kind of big cities where you can walk faster than most of the traffic and that had good public transport. We spent the last 5 years living on a small tropical island and there I did try to learn as public transport wasn't very good and I did eventually get a licence but I hated it and wasn't any good at it so I then just didn't drive. That didn't give me much experience anyway as there were no traffic lights, no motorways, national speed limit of 30, almost no road signs etc etc.

Anyway, we are likely to move to Auckland in September. Hubby has a good job offer, we have 170 points, clean police records, excellent qualifications, we've everything ready to file our ITA except the medicals which we're doing on Monday. Unless the medical uncovers any conditions we're not aware of, we don't expect there to be anything in the medical which derails the process.

What is worrying me a lot is that I can't drive. I accept I'll have to learn (though I don't really want to) but even that has its problems. What's getting to me is that I've read so many threads saying that you can't survive in NZ and Auckland if you don't drive. My lifestyle preference is to live somewhere where I'm within walking distance of schools, a few shops, etc. I'm not afraid of walking and I honestly prefer to walk the kids to school than to take them by car anyway. I find it really hard to believe that this is not possible in Auckland but I keep reading it. Is there not anywhere that we can go where I don't need an instant licence?

My other concerns on this are that a) based on my previous experience of driving lessons it's entirely possible that I simply won't manage to pass the test! and b) from what I've read about the test system I wouldn't be able to have passengers for the first 18months which would mean actually I wouldn't drive anywhere anyway as I have 2 young kids and if they can't come in the car with me then I can't drive so getting the initial test wouldn't solve my problem and presumably it would be harder to pass the second stage test as I won't get much practice of actual driving because I'm with the kids..... Even if I pass everything first time, it would still mean I can't drive the kids for the first 18 months + of being in NZ, so I do need to find part of Auckland where that is manageable. I really liked Browns Bay and thought that would be OK if we found a house near the main bit of town. Other suggestions would be really appreciated.

Hubby would be working in Parnell and is perfectly happy to take buses or ferries. He does drive and we will buy a car but he's not particularly keen on driving and will happily take the bus if it's easier or quicker.

I am planning to learn with an automatic this time which I hope might make it easier for me but I'm really just not one of nature's drivers.

Anyway, reading a lot of threads and opinions is making me feel that I just shouldn't even consider going to NZ as a non-driver. Is that true?
I learned to drive in the uk, then had a accident and didnt drive for 20 years, but being in NZ i felt i had to drive had a couple of refresher courses and now drive a automatic dont think i could manage a manual though lol.

what made me laugh was the instructor thought i took corners too far when turning into a road, they learn people to cut corners lol
Old Jul 19th 2012, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I hardly ever drove when I was in the UK, so was never what you might call a confident driver around unfamiliar roads. When I first arrived in Auckland I was absolutely petrified and convinced that everyone out on the road was trying to kill me and that I would never survive.

I tried the buses for a while but necessity being the mother of invention and all that, I soon realised that if I was to have any future here I had to just bite the bullet and force myself to drive. Automatic is definitely the way to go if you are a nervous driver!

If I were you I would get myself on an intensive UK course asap. There are places you can go that guarantee to have you pass within a week.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

We spent the last 5 years living on a small tropical island and there I did try to learn as public transport wasn't very good and I did eventually get a licence but I hated it and wasn't any good at it so I then just didn't drive.
Can that licence be transferred? What small tropical island was it from?
Old Jul 20th 2012, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

Miss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud of

I agree with Catchafire, Devonport would be a decent option if you absolutely didn't want to drive. I still think long term you would need to think about getting behind the wheel though. I'd say you would struggle if you didn't.

I wouldn't worry too much about passing and getting your licence. Pretty sure they give them away in cereal boxes over here!
Old Jul 20th 2012, 5:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Barnsleymat beat me to it

I know someone in Auckland who has lived here for a good few years & doesn't drive either. I'll PM her & see if she can help you. She's not on here very often though.

I was petrified of learning to drive as I had this irrational fear that if I did, I would have a terrible accident etc., etc.. Well I eventually went for it, had a lot of lessons over approx 10months & passed first time. I haven't looked back since then, I found it the most liberating experience.

I personally couldn't do without my car, I love driving now. I suggest you either do an intensive driving course in the UK if you can fit it in or sign up with a driving instructor over here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.