Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I am a newbie! Please tell me what NZ is REALLY like!

I am a newbie! Please tell me what NZ is REALLY like!

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice
Default Re: I am a newbie! Please tell me what NZ is REALLY like!

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
You will only be able to afford an average house, that will be cold in winter, something that any Brit under 40 will have never experienced.
I'm 34 and I grew up in houses only heated by woodburners, and our last house in the UK had only a woodburner too, which meant that our 4 year old and 18 month old had also experienced the 'putting on another jumper' method of keeping warm!

I know lots of other people who live/lived like this in the UK - and love it too!
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biddy
This is one of those 'Will I like it in NZ?' questions - unfortunately no one can answer this accurately for you. We all have our own personal criteria to measure against and baggage and expectations that come with it.

I think on the money you talk about you should be fine in most areas. We certainly earn a lot less than that and have 3 hungry kids - and we manage just about OK.

NZ is similar yet different to the UK - I personally love the changes and differences but others won't -you just have to try it to find out if its for you.

Good Luck!
Excellent points.
I think people have very different ideas on what they mean by
"quality of life" or "lifestyle."
I think for some people with children, making do on less, especially
when higher education needs to be saved for, is not worth the compromises.
Depends on what your priorities are. It's hard to be specific on a forum,
but it helps sometimes to clarify these things.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 9:23 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by soulflour
I'm 34 and I grew up in houses only heated by woodburners, and our last house in the UK had only a woodburner too, which meant that our 4 year old and 18 month old had also experienced the 'putting on another jumper' method of keeping warm!

I know lots of other people who live/lived like this in the UK - and love it too!
I grew up in a house with a coal fire. In winter the windows of my bedroom would freez up with ice on the inside. I do miss the heat from the living room fire but not the cold in the rest of the house. Central heating has spoiled us all who have it. While i was in Christchurch i actually enjoyed chopping firewood the old fashioned way. Untill the rain came and all the wood was damp and hard to light. We had stacks of it in the garage too but it was cheap pine and did not last long. It was cut offs from the building trade. Gum tree is the best i think (may be wrong)
Remember going on walks and picking up pine cones to use as fire lighters. They work great by the way. A nice kiwi told us about that. Most Kiwis we talked to were nice and friendly, but not all. Just remember people are people. As a whole in Canturbury people were great, much more friendly than in the UK.