Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I am leaving New Zealand to go to Brisbane!

I am leaving New Zealand to go to Brisbane!

Old Oct 19th 2007, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

dubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nice
Default Re: I am leaving New Zealand to go to Brisbane!

Indoor-outdoor flow do you mean a door, good luck in OZ
Old Oct 19th 2007, 2:16 am

Hoyo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dubstar
Indoor-outdoor flow do you mean a door, good luck in OZ
did I mention the sun trap?
Old Oct 20th 2007, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hoyo
did I mention the sun trap?
Yep...............that's Brisbane

Daft question! Are you a Kiwi, just wondering how you can just move over here?
Old Oct 20th 2007, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Yep...............that's Brisbane

Daft question! Are you a Kiwi, just wondering how you can just move over here?
NZ Citizen since last year.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 12:46 am

I booked a one way ticket back to London today..

This is probably the biggest decision I have ever made in my life. Reaching the decision to leave has been an emotional rollercoaster. One I would not wish on my worst enemy. I have worked through so many permutations in my head over the last couple of years it has almost sent me over the edge at many times.

Stay. go. stay. go. I have weighed up the pro's and con's in my mind, on paper, over and over and over again. And over and over again! In the end my heart has ruled my head as it tends to do.

I have poured over this message board threads - hoovering up information from those who have gone, those who stayed - checking the odds, wondering...

Now it is done I am almost in a state of shock. I don't know whether to cry or celebrate! I do feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders though.

All I can tell you is it feels right. I could easily have gone to Brisbane. I had everything in place. My two ex bosses recently left Wellington for Brisbane and my good friend was going to set me up with accommodation. I know it would have been relatively easy to get work. But...nagging doubts about OZ would not go away. I have been several times for holidays and I just don't think it is me.

My heart was not in it... tbh

England is familiar territory I know what to expect. My plans essentially remain unchanged - I will still retrain - only in England next year.

Good luck to all who offered advice. Hope kiwi land works out for all those committed to give it a go ,but it has not worked out for me. Funny, but I knew within the first four weeks that NZ was not me - but like a true brit soldiered on for another 6 years.... DOH!

Cheers!
Old Oct 21st 2007, 3:41 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

NZ Citizen since last year.
Good to have that Kiwi passport. It gives you another option or two should you decide to swing by this part of the world again.
Good luck.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

So within a few hours you have changed you mind..........London now eh!
Old Oct 21st 2007, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
So within a few hours you have changed you mind..........London now eh!
Yep.

I am not even bitter about leaving - it's more like closing the book on a relationship which wasn't working. On the one hand it's scary but you know it's the right thing to do.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 8:29 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

I booked a one way ticket back to London today..

This is probably the biggest decision I have ever made in my life. Reaching the decision to leave has been an emotional rollercoaster. One I would not wish on my worst enemy. I have worked through so many permutations in my head over the last couple of years it has almost sent me over the edge at many times.

Stay. go. stay. go. I have weighed up the pro's and con's in my mind, on paper, over and over and over again. And over and over again! In the end my heart has ruled my head as it tends to do.

I have poured over this message board threads - hoovering up information from those who have gone, those who stayed - checking the odds, wondering...

Now it is done I am almost in a state of shock. I don't know whether to cry or celebrate! I do feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders though.

All I can tell you is it feels right. I could easily have gone to Brisbane. I had everything in place. My two ex bosses recently left Wellington for Brisbane and my good friend was going to set me up with accommodation. I know it would have been relatively easy to get work. But...nagging doubts about OZ would not go away. I have been several times for holidays and I just don't think it is me.

My heart was not in it... tbh

England is familiar territory I know what to expect. My plans essentially remain unchanged - I will still retrain - only in England next year.

Good luck to all who offered advice. Hope kiwi land works out for all those committed to give it a go ,but it has not worked out for me. Funny, but I knew within the first four weeks that NZ was not me - but like a true brit soldiered on for another 6 years.... DOH!

Cheers!
Best of luck to you and i hope you find what works best for you. Having had to do the same with my family i can appreciate how you feel. You can always change your mind. After a year in NZ then 2 back in the UK i am now in Tasmania. It's different to the rest of Oz, very much like parts of the UK but without the jam of cars and people. Speaking of people i can only say they have been very friendly and open here as well as laid back etc. Can't wait to hire a car and explore. Maybe you could hope over here first for a break to check it out before going to the big smoke. Anyway like i said best of luck to you and hold your head well and truely high. Takes guts to do what you have done.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Lenmil
Best of luck to you and i hope you find what works best for you. Having had to do the same with my family i can appreciate how you feel. You can always change your mind. After a year in NZ then 2 back in the UK i am now in Tasmania. It's different to the rest of Oz, very much like parts of the UK but without the jam of cars and people. Speaking of people i can only say they have been very friendly and open here as well as laid back etc. Can't wait to hire a car and explore. Maybe you could hope over here first for a break to check it out before going to the big smoke. Anyway like i said best of luck to you and hold your head well and truely high. Takes guts to do what you have done.
Thanks, yeah, can always come back, who knows what the future holds? Take each day as it comes. Yesterday is history and tomorrow is a mystery...