British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Hutt valley or Kapati Coast (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hutt-valley-kapati-coast-538474/)

Possum Chaser May 23rd 2008 7:27 pm

Hutt valley or Kapati Coast

Hutt valley or Kapati coast that is the question.

Hi everybody, I guess you'll notice I'm the newbe on here. But we need some advice, Me and the wife are moving to Welly after a slow jaunt down the north Island. I will be working in the docks.

We need somewhere to live and are unsure of either Hutt Valley or the coast. We have read mixed reports on here, and get the impression people favor the coast, is this right ? why ?

What are the plus and minues of both areas ?

All advice appreciated

Will.

Browner_ May 24th 2008 8:46 am

Re: Hutt valley or Kapati Coast

Originally Posted by Possum Chaser (Post 6386369)
Hutt valley or Kapati coast that is the question.

Hi everybody, I guess you'll notice I'm the newbe on here. But we need some advice, Me and the wife are moving to Welly after a slow jaunt down the north Island. I will be working in the docks.

We need somewhere to live and are unsure of either Hutt Valley or the coast. We have read mixed reports on here, and get the impression people favor the coast, is this right ? why ?

What are the plus and minues of both areas ?

All advice appreciated

Will.

Much of the Hutt Valley is a shorter commute to Wellington. Kapiti Coast will often be 45mins plus drive to Wellington

North of Paraparaumu, there is no commuter train on the Kapiti Coast.

There are some pretty rough and downbeat areas in the Hutt Valley

Hutt Valley can be colder in winter.

Kapiti Coast offers readily accessible beach/boat lifestyle.

kiwinow May 24th 2008 10:39 pm

I've lived on the Kapiti Coast and have a brother in the Hutt Valley. They are quite different places and it really depends what you want. As already said, the valley will be closer to work. No beaches that handy though there are bush walks etc. Kapiti Coast has beach and boating, restful in the weekends, but a bit of a jaunt, especially if you travel in rush hour. Good train service to both places.

danny.f May 24th 2008 11:41 pm

As above really. Got to be careful with the Hutt-lots of lovely places,but also bits where your daughter will make you grandparents too early.
Kapiti is beautiful,but nicknamed 'God's waiting room'.
Beaches are lovely,lots of our staff comute to the city from there. It is 45 minutes-but one of the lovliest 45 minutes you could commute for in the world.
I'd go somewhere incredible,exclusive,close to shops and town,beaches,walks,
expensive for all the right reasons.....can you feel it........can you?.......it's coming.......somewhere......like......erm.....

PORIRUA-PAPAKOWHAI,WHITBY,PUKERUA BAY!!!!!!!!!

MrCFD May 24th 2008 11:57 pm

Hutt valley has some beautiful scenery - the river is very nice and the drive from Lower Hutt to Upper Hutt is beautiful on a clear winters day with a peek of the snow capped mountains in the background. Also beautiful in autumn with the red and orange leaves on the trees. You don't really get that on the coast. That said, we live around Plimmerton, a small seaside village geographically removed from both Porirua and the Kapiti coast, and as I am typing I have just counted 19 yachts in a race just outside my window.

So, depends if you like trees and mountains, or water!

MrCFD May 24th 2008 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by MrCFD (Post 6390242)
...as I am typing I have just counted 19 yachts in a race just outside my window.

21 yachts now - a couple just came round the corner very slowly. Think they are just pretending to be in the race.

Wilma & co May 25th 2008 7:50 am

I was watching them from my window too......in Papakowhai!! :thumbup:

luvwelly May 25th 2008 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Wilma & co (Post 6390881)
I was watching them from my window too......in Papakowhai!! :thumbup:

Sounds like a fab view you've got there Wilma :D...beats my planes!

ledge May 25th 2008 11:38 pm

Kapiti.....much better weather :thumbsup:

I've lost count of the number of times I've set off to work when it's bone dry in Raumati (no need for a raincoat!), got over the top at Pukerua Bay and thought it doesn't look too clever :unsure:, then by the Tawa it'll be pouring down :thumbdown:

Easily makes the journey worthwhile for me