British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Human Resources in NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/human-resources-nz-763431/)

DK12 Jun 30th 2012 4:12 pm

Human Resources in NZ

Hi,

I have been working in Human Resources for almost 10 years and am just completing my CIPD this year. It is my plan to move from the UK to New Zealand soon after that and I was wondering if anyone had any advice/could share their experiences on HR in NZ and how they found the transition from HR in the UK?

Thanks

msi geek Jun 30th 2012 5:43 pm

Re: Human Resources in NZ

Originally Posted by DK12 (Post 10147656)
Hi,

I have been working in Human Resources for almost 10 years and am just completing my CIPD this year. It is my plan to move from the UK to New Zealand soon after that and I was wondering if anyone had any advice/could share their experiences on HR in NZ and how they found the transition from HR in the UK?

Thanks

I can share my experience regarding the NZ HR personnel I have interacted with - they believe that the whole world consists of jobless beggars unless some kind-hearted kiwi employer offers one of them a job - sharp contrast to UK where a decent skilled professional can choose his employer, pay rate, terms of contract, etc. - NZ employers do Not believe in the concept of mutually beneficial relationship between an employer and employee - a job offer is seen as a favour and beggars cannot be choosers.

No wonder - most Brits in NZ come from lesser pay regions like Scotland, Northern Ireland, etc. and very few from London and South East.

MrsFychan Jun 30th 2012 6:42 pm

hardly helping DK there. They where asking about moving into the profession and not people experiences of it.
Things are done differently here and you have to take that into account. The main basis is that NZ residence do legally have the right to jobs before any other

Hopefully someone will come along with some experience of making the move and be able to provide some valid advise.

DandJMay Jul 1st 2012 2:41 am

Hi

I have worked for 14 (odd) years in HR in the UK and just completed my 13th month of HR here in NZ, so not been here to long but more than happy to answer any questions you have.

Jo

DandJMay Jul 1st 2012 2:52 am

Originally Posted by msi geek (Post 10147736)
I can share my experience regarding the NZ HR personnel I have interacted with - they believe that the whole world consists of jobless beggars unless some kind-hearted kiwi employer offers one of them a job - sharp contrast to UK where a decent skilled professional can choose his employer, pay rate, terms of contract, etc. - NZ employers do Not believe in the concept of mutually beneficial relationship between an employer and employee - a job offer is seen as a favour and beggars cannot be choosers.

No wonder - most Brits in NZ come from lesser pay regions like Scotland, Northern Ireland, etc. and very few from London and South East.

And of course all of the above has nothing to do with the MECA'S, MUCA'S or SECA'S that are either nationally or locally agreed, or agreed by each industry. When you are contracted by an IEA naturally you negotiate your own T&C's, I didn't find it to be rocket science and I doubt many others did.

P18PPS Jul 1st 2012 3:52 am

You may find that there are a few HR contract positions floating around - large corporates like ASB for instance, have had large change driven through and as such have employed a number of contract HR/recruitment people to help facilitate the change - worth looking on seek.co.nz .... ASB were also open to part-time and work from home for some of these positions. SkyCity also recently had a few HR roles going... no harm in approaching the big corporates directly with your CV rather than waiting for a job to be advertised.

DK12 Jul 1st 2012 8:50 am

Thanks to all for the replies so far.....D&J if it's okay I will PM you with my more specific quesions.

DandJMay Jul 1st 2012 9:19 am

Originally Posted by DK12 (Post 10148457)
Thanks to all for the replies so far.....D&J if it's okay I will PM you with my more specific quesions.

Yep, please do. I have only been out here for 13 months, but happy to try and answer any questions

Jo

Warrington1978 Sep 27th 2012 8:28 am

Hi, I work in HR for a big international telco, who I worked for in the UK and transferred to Auckland with. I have nothing but positive things to say about all the HR people I work with and have come across from other organisations. What I would say is that if you're looking for a role consistent with your UK HR experience then the bigger the company the better. Recruiters I know tend to favour UK talent too.

cappuccino Sep 27th 2012 12:45 pm

We have quite a few English HR people in our organisation. They seem to be coping ok :)

Si19761 Sep 28th 2012 7:26 am

Happy to answer any questions too... and yes there are some differences.

Some terminology is different in operational HR/ER, processes can more simplified like restructuring which you can complete end to end processes in as little as a week and mediation used as a recourse to resolving grievances at a very early stage rather than lengthy in house processes and there does not tend to be appeal processes. Employees have rights from day 1 but more and more employers are using a statutory 90 day trial period, there is no compulsory redundancy so significant numbers of staff don'have any entitlements, parental leave is just 14 weeks and sick leave is a whole 5 days a year after first 6 months employment.... hope this gives some food for though...

but ultimately.... ask the questions and it doesn't take long....

I have been back in the field here now for just over a year and while it was a big change at the start expecially as I moved from public sector to consulting mostly to SME's I struggle now to answer the UK questions I get....

oh... and HRINZ don't recognise CIPD chartership for equivalent membership :thumbdown:
Good luck

Charismatic Sep 28th 2012 7:58 am

Originally Posted by P18PPS (Post 10148193)
...large corporates like ASB...

How difficult can it be to recruit staff in banking? Just walk into National Bank and pick off their best staff by asking "Do you still want a job in 2014? Here is my card, call me and we'll talk over lunch" :lol:.

The corporate work game is very different here in New Zealand really, it's quite a culture shock for some people.

Bo-Jangles Sep 28th 2012 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 10304158)
The corporate work game is very different here in New Zealand really, it's quite a culture shock for some people.

Its definitely a game but I think the use of the word 'corporate' is quite misleading. :rofl: It's mostly about as 'uncorporate' as I have ever come across, on so many levels.

Like so many things, if all else fails the she'll be right policy will be adopted All the dealings with people, restructure situations and grievances I have seen have been on a wing and a prayer basis; without much regard for doing the right thing or following any kind of policy (if there is one and anyone can find it). There's precious little compensation if you lose your job and if they should stuff up and unfairly dismiss people, then a few grand for hurt and humiliation usually makes the problem go away.

Justcol Sep 30th 2012 3:17 am

msi geek, why the hell are you still here???
You are without doubt THE most bitter and negative person I have come across on here.
It seems your posts are usually only made to feed your narcissistic ego and reek of resentment.
Your I am always right and the whole county is wrong attitude is very boring.
Why dont you go back to blighty where your unique skills and attitude will be rewarded and
you can become the successful multimillionaire you obviously deserve to be.

Sorry for high jacking the thread DK12 but if you hang around on the forum you'll begin to understand

Catchafire Sep 30th 2012 8:24 am

Originally Posted by msi geek (Post 10147736)

Yeah well, at least I can work out the GST rate.

Personally, I suspect your employment issues are related to your somewhat overblown estimation of your abilities and sense of entitlement.