British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Hugs and kisses (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hugs-kisses-573612/)

linakemp Nov 17th 2008 2:31 pm

Hugs and kisses

My OH (he's a Yank) and I were talking last night about putting hugs and kisses on the bottom of texts and emails yesterday. He says that X = a hug and O = a kiss. I think it is the other way round.

What do you all think? Is this a US v's UK cultural difference? Or is he just odd and plain wrong??

sambapink Nov 17th 2008 2:34 pm

Re: Hugs and kisses

You weren't watching Graham Norton were you?!! Anyway 'X' is definately a kiss.. surely? My american cousin puts 'xoxoxox' at the end of emails (has me doing it now!) and I always thought the 'o' means hugs.. but what do i know?!!

Rete Nov 17th 2008 2:37 pm

You're right and hubby's wrong ... as said another Yank.

linakemp Nov 17th 2008 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by sambapink (Post 6981822)
You weren't watching Graham Norton were you?!! Anyway 'X' is definately a kiss.. surely? My american cousin puts 'xoxoxox' at the end of emails (has me doing it now!) and I always thought the 'o' means hugs.. but what do i know?!!

Haha I was watching Graham Norton, thats how we got on the subject!

sambapink Nov 17th 2008 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by linakemp (Post 6981853)
Haha I was watching Graham Norton, thats how we got on the subject!

Lol.. yeah I wondered.. Frank Skinner was talking about Kisses at the bottom of texts!

Tracym Nov 17th 2008 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 6981840)
You're right and hubby's wrong ... as said another Yank.

Yep - from yet another yank.

cybersecretary Nov 17th 2008 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by linakemp (Post 6981814)
My OH (he's a Yank) and I were talking last night about putting hugs and kisses on the bottom of texts and emails yesterday. He says that X = a hug and O = a kiss. I think it is the other way round.

What do you all think? Is this a US v's UK cultural difference? Or is he just odd and plain wrong??

Yeh, its probably because he's a man rather than American!

linakemp Nov 17th 2008 3:50 pm

He reckons a X is a hug cos you cros your arms and O is a kiss because of the shape you make with your mouth, I can see his logic but am please to see that he is wrong!!

Tracym Nov 17th 2008 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by linakemp (Post 6982110)
He reckons a X is a hug cos you cros your arms and O is a kiss because of the shape you make with your mouth, I can see his logic but am please to see that he is wrong!!

Who hugs with their arms crossed?

Arms make a circle around the person.

MsElui Nov 17th 2008 4:55 pm

people put xxx under their name in a card to mean kiss kiss kiss not hug hug hug!

englishinfl Nov 17th 2008 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by linakemp (Post 6981814)

Don't be silly, he's winding you up. Maybe he's odd too, but you should already know that.

englishinfl Nov 17th 2008 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 6982115)
Who hugs with their arms crossed?

Arms make a circle around the person.

Kisses can make a circle around a person too, all joined up of course and then.... ok, that was too much information, wasn't it? :D

englishinfl Nov 17th 2008 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 6981970)
Yep - from yet another yank.

What I want to know is who's yankin, who's chain in this thread?!?!

linakemp Nov 17th 2008 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by englishinfl (Post 6982341)
Don't be silly, he's winding you up. Maybe he's odd too, but you should already know that.

I asked his sister at work today and she agreed with him...maybe its just their family, perhaps they are all weird ;)

englishinfl Nov 17th 2008 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by linakemp (Post 6982395)
I asked his sister at work today and she agreed with him...maybe its just their family, perhaps they are all weird ;)

Well he's american, right? "Weird" runs in the blood, you should know that. ;)