British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   How will my teenagers adapt to NZ education? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/how-will-my-teenagers-adapt-nz-education-796339/)

Charismatic May 9th 2013 9:39 am

Re: How will my teenagers adapt to NZ education?

I thought GCSE was level 3?

GCSE got me into Polytech here in NZ anyway to take a few papers in Engineering (while an apprentice) and from there I went to University to do a degree.

I think it depends on how mature the kids are and what they want to do more than any previous educational achievement.

AndyEvs May 9th 2013 9:52 am

As a rule of thumb
GCSE = Level 1 NCEA (Year 11)
AS = Level 2 NCEA (Year 12)
A' Level = Level 3 (Year 13)

But they are not directly comparable since they are quite different systems.

killercat May 9th 2013 10:37 am

My Daughter came over at the same age after completing her GCSEs, she started at a state school and on there advice went back a year! she was so bored as she was repeating stuff she had already done and moved to a private school (although she was fortunate to get a half scholarship) she then did Cambridge AS ans A levels which was much more in line with what she had been doing. she has just started uni and her GCSEs were also taken into account. one thing we have realised now is that its is much better to wait until your here to decide and speak to the principles in person. You will also get a better feel for the school as you cant always rely on the decibel levels.

bourbon-biscuit May 9th 2013 11:43 am

Originally Posted by RobDon (Post 10699724)
Our DD passed all her GCSE's will flying colours just before we left, but the school she chose to go to did not recognise GCSE's or her results. :frown:
She did repeat her last year again though to give her enough credits to go to tech here.
Some NZ schools follow the Cambridge system of exams and as far as I know this does recognise GCSE's.

Surely with GCSEs she would have had to do at least Yr13 in NZ (and arguably Yr12) as GCSEs are not equivalent to NCEA3- or do you mean that they wouldn't allow her to enter NCEA2/3 for subjects she had gained GCSEs in? Possibly quite a confusing post for people trying to research it all.

Originally Posted by killercat (Post 10699910)
You will also get a better feel for the school as you cant always rely on the decibel levels.

He he- I love this typo/autocorrect! :D

Spacecake799 May 9th 2013 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 10699844)
I thought GCSE was level 3?

GCSE got me into Polytech here in NZ anyway to take a few papers in Engineering (while an apprentice) and from there I went to University to do a degree.

I think it depends on how mature the kids are and what they want to do more than any previous educational achievement.

If you apply to have your NZ qualifications recognized in the UK its
NCEA 1 - nothing
NCEA 2 - gcse
NCEA 3 - A level at level C if you achieve excellence

trafford May 9th 2013 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 10697114)
Going private and doing A'levels might serve her better were she to choose to return to UK once she is an adult.
Do you absolutely have to relocate them at this stage of their education?

Luvwelly, I have thought about that point, as the children will undoubtedly be considering returning at some point (even if it is to visit). But, I am hoping that they will want to finish their formal education in NZ, as university study is cheaper in NZ, especially for courses like medicine. They are in the independent sector here, but having been a secondary teacher (an age ago!) in NZ, I do rate some state schools very highly, so on balance I would prefer not to pay fees!
We should have made this move 2-3 years ago, but if we don’t go this year, then we really will be stuck in the UK until the youngest has finished university (he’s only in Year 10).

Originally Posted by AndyEvs (Post 10697261)
The kiwis simply do not 'get' that the school terms do not match up. For that reason it is worth discussing things with the schools again. Failing that staple the term dates to the Dean's forehead (facing inwards) until they get the message.

Advice noted AndyEvs!! I assumed the schools would know better than me, and it appears they may not!

Originally Posted by Spacecake799 (Post 10697590)
Just a question, you say you plan to return, so you have already lived there? Your kids have lived there before and are happy to be moving at there ages?

I lived in NZ from age 10-30. We have lived in the UK for over 15 years. They have visited often but never lived there.

Originally Posted by killercat (Post 10699910)
she was so bored as she was repeating stuff she had already done
one thing we have realised now is that its is much better to wait until your here to decide and speak to the principles in person.

I do want her challenged and not bored, but not to the point where she is stressed. She wants to do medicine at university, and being very competitive, I don’t want to disadvantage her with a wrong move which sets her back.

As others have advised, perhaps it is just best to wait and speak to the school. Maybe even let her sit in on classes or have a look at schemes of work, or student book, before deciding on which Year???

AndyEvs May 9th 2013 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Spacecake799 (Post 10700809)
If you apply to have your NZ qualifications recognized in the UK its
NCEA 1 - nothing
NCEA 2 - gcse
NCEA 3 - A level at level C if you achieve excellence

Very interesting. Where does that info come from? I'm not sure I would totally agree with whoever is making that assessment, especially with regard to level 1 but I certainly think NCEA is 'easier' in general.

Spacecake799 May 9th 2013 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by AndyEvs (Post 10700863)
Very interesting. Where does that info come from? I'm not sure I would totally agree with whoever is making that assessment, especially with regard to level 1 but I certainly think NCEA is 'easier' in general.

The results that came back from the people that assess the qualifications in the UK.

bourbon-biscuit May 10th 2013 7:18 am

Honours degrees here are four years- I think the first uni yr is something like A level-undergrad bridge.

babybella May 12th 2013 9:57 am

We arrived in June 2011 and our son had just done his AS levels. He dropped into mid way through 12 in NZ and did his year 12 exams here in Dec 2012. Then completed year 13 and is now at uni. There was some question as to whether the uni would accept his GCSE math grade but they said as long as it was grade c or above it was fine. The same would apply with English.
Incidently he got a grade E in Biology at AS and a grade E in Biology in year 12 NZ. Difference is a grade E stands for excellence in NZ. So either my child became a genius in Biology in 6 months or the standard here is lower. I would like to think my kid is a genius.
Kaz;)

Fishy May 25th 2013 7:05 am

don't let your daughter miss yr 12. Althoughh academically she would be ok I was persuaded to let my 3 kids 'miss' a yr It as a mistake and something I have regretted. My one son I realised it didn't suit and kept back a year is now flying high whilst the others were always the youngest and there were social/confidence implications.

State schools are very good here, you don't need to pay for 'A'levels unless you plan to go back to UK for uni. NB: You have to be in Uk for 3 continuous yrs to qualify for student loan/domestic uni rates in UK.
Also it would mean she was very young going to uni. You'd have to sign a disclaimer to say she wouldn't consume alcohol if she was under 18.