Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How well have your children settled??

How well have your children settled??

Old Feb 12th 2014, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Mrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How well have your children settled??

Hi!

I'm hoping to move to Wellington this year with my 7 year old son from the UK. I would appreciate any feedback as to how well your children have settled in since moving over there. How well they have fitted in at school? Quality of life? Do they miss England? Etc etc
Old Feb 12th 2014, 10:05 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How well have your children settled??

Welcome to BE and to NZ little bit.

Where abouts in Wellington are you hoping to move and what visa/work are you going to be doing?

I'm about 32km North atm. I have an older girl, 10 when we got here and a son just 6 when we arrived. Daughter found she was bored with the new style of learning, or in her words "not learning". we have been fortunate that we have been able to move her onto college a year early and with college being more focused on actual set lessons more like the UK way of teaching.
My son having only been through the UK system for a year and half has found the transition easier as he did not have the UK system in grained in him. Plus he is more sporty rather than academic where as daughter is more academic.

As for fitting in they have not had any problems making friends but children adapt easier to change in my experience and he may have to do it all again in a few months if we move further up the coast.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

Our Son was 7 when we first moved to Wellington going from a small rural school in Cornwall with 50 children to overnight 500 kids in one school tbh out of the 3 of us he settled the most he had good experienes in both Belmont school and Churton Park, but being an only child I have always thrown him into new situations and not let him have too much of a small network (by that I mean we sent him to after school activities in a different area so he met others not just school firends)
Old Feb 13th 2014, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

Mrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your replies, had a feeling he would probably adapt easier than me! But it is a worry
I have dual nationality with NZ so very lucky I don't need to go through the visa process. Initially we will be living in Roseneath in the city but who knows after that. Roseneath and Hataitai primary schools both look nice and are around the same size as my son is used to.
Do they miss family back home?
Old Feb 13th 2014, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrsbrightside7
Initially we will be living in Roseneath in the city but who knows after that. Roseneath and Hataitai primary schools both look nice
Roseneath and Hataitai are my two favourite Wellington suburbs. Excellent choice. Numerous friends children attended Hataitai primary and they are now all doing well at various secondary schools in Wellington.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrsbrightside7
Hi!

I'm hoping to move to Wellington this year with my 7 year old son from the UK. I would appreciate any feedback as to how well your children have settled in since moving over there. How well they have fitted in at school? Quality of life? Do they miss England? Etc etc
Our children were slightly older being 12 & 15, but after a couple of shaky weeks, they settled well. In fact everyone wanted to be their friend at high school because they "talked funny"
Both now love NZ and don't miss the UK at all.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your feedback!

It's really nice to hear that Roseneath and Hataitai are good area's too! And very useful to hear how well other children have done at Hataitai school as this is the one that my son and I favour
Old Feb 13th 2014, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

My friends are a no nonsense, well informed lot who wouldn't tolerate lack lustre schools for their 'wee darlings'. I'm sure you've read the Education Review Office (ERO) report on Hataitai primary? I can't be bothered to look, but I'm confident enough to bet it's had very positive reviews. Enjoy Welly.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

The ERO report looks good! It's always nice to hear positive thoughts from experience though so thank you. Can't wait to get to Welly, I'm sure we will love it :-)