Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How to start off on right foot....

How to start off on right foot....

Old Jul 24th 2018, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Shiningfaery_001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to start off on right foot....

We are a family of 4, my partner is a plumber so looking at skilled Visa entry. Myself and our 2 children on partner/family Visa.

should we use an emigration advisor/company to help with applications or is it something we should attempt on our own?

His occupation shows under the skills shortage and Canterbury shortage lists, is this something to consider in terms of area to move too or not?

I think from research so far we would need to get as many points as we can but how does securing a job offer whilst in the UK work?

Do you have any other words of wisdom for me at a pre application stage??

thanks Michaela.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 8:11 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to start off on right foot....

He would need to get registered to be able to carry out work Help for tradespeople coming to NZ
also to be able to get you all over he would need a job offer that takes him to the ANZSCO level 4-5 AND paid at or above $36.44 per hour ($75,795 per year based on a 40 hour week), to enable to have a visa that lasts more than 3 years and does not need you to obtain your own visa on your own merits.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your advice, will look into this now. It's all so in depth and I am getting swallowed whole here with an application to show interest, an application for a Visa then all the other paperwork to show health, qualification and legal statuses.....its all so overwhelming.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 9:17 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Shiningfaery_001
Thank you for your advice, will look into this now. It's all so in depth and I am getting swallowed whole here with an application to show interest, an application for a Visa then all the other paperwork to show health, qualification and legal statuses.....its all so overwhelming.
Just do one step at a time.

Many many of us have done everything ourselves & we can help and talk you through it.

My husband is also a plumber/gasfitter. We emigrated to NZ 14 yrs ago now.

The first step really is to check out employment opportunities.
Yes. As the occupation is on the Canterbury shortage list , that should be where your eyes first set as employers there are able to freely offer an overseas plumber an offer of employment.

You may wish to chat with Hays ChCh . to get a general overview.

Gaining a job offer whilst not in NZ itself will be tough. A recruitment agency may be able to help with this if there is a need for the trade.
More normally for tradesmen it is boots on ground as employers want their tradesmen to start relatively quickly .

So . First things first. Job offer .
Old Jul 26th 2018, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Thanks bev appreciate the advice. I have passed the site along to OH.