Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

how to speak new zulander

how to speak new zulander

Old Aug 26th 2006, 5:08 am
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: khandallah, wellington
Posts: 720
cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all
Default how to speak new zulander

Been a while since I last posted this.... always good for a giggle....

How to Speak New Zulander
(for bist effict, rid these out aloud)

Milburn - capital of Victoria
Peck - to fill a suitcase
pissed aside - chemical which kills insects
pigs - for hanging out washing with
pug - large pink animal with a curly tail
nin tin dough - computer game
munnwe stroney - soup
min- male of the species
mess kara - eye makeup
mcKennock - person who fixes cars
Mere - Mayor
leather - foam produced from soap
lift - departed
Kiri Pecker - famous Australian businessman
kittle crusps - potato chips
Ken's - Cairns
jungle bills - Christmas carol
inner me - enemy
guess - vapour
fush - marine creature
fitter cheney - type of pasta
ever cardeau - avocado
fear hear - blonde
ear - mix of nitrogen and oxygen
ear roebucks - exercise at gym
duffy cult - not easy
amejen - visualise
chuck - very young poultry
bug hut - popular recording
bun button - been bitten by insect
beard - a place to sleep
sucks peck - half a dozen beers
Ear New Zulland - an extinct airline
beers - large savage animals found in U.S. forests
veerjun - mythical New Zealand maiden
one doze - well known computer program
brudge - structure spanning a stream
sex - one less then sivven
tin - one more then nine
iggs ecktly - precisely
cuds - children
cuttin - baby cat
sivven sucks sivven - large Boeing aircraft
sivven four sivven - larger Boeing aircraft
earplane - large flying marchine
beggage chucken - place to leave your suitcase at the earport
cottageinthesky is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2006, 8:15 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Woodlea's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Rangiora
Posts: 1,201
Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how to speak new zulander

Ha Ha - nice one Cottage - what a laugh, I can see some confusion and funny looks when we get there...
Woodlea is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2006, 8:48 am
  #3  
Melbourne Australia
 
thebears's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,169
thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how to speak new zulander

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
Been a while since I last posted this.... always good for a giggle....

How to Speak New Zulander
(for bist effict, rid these out aloud)

Milburn - capital of Victoria
Peck - to fill a suitcase
pissed aside - chemical which kills insects
pigs - for hanging out washing with
pug - large pink animal with a curly tail
nin tin dough - computer game
munnwe stroney - soup
min- male of the species
mess kara - eye makeup
mcKennock - person who fixes cars
Mere - Mayor
leather - foam produced from soap
lift - departed
Kiri Pecker - famous Australian businessman
kittle crusps - potato chips
Ken's - Cairns
jungle bills - Christmas carol
inner me - enemy
guess - vapour
fush - marine creature
fitter cheney - type of pasta
ever cardeau - avocado
fear hear - blonde
ear - mix of nitrogen and oxygen
ear roebucks - exercise at gym
duffy cult - not easy
amejen - visualise
chuck - very young poultry
bug hut - popular recording
bun button - been bitten by insect
beard - a place to sleep
sucks peck - half a dozen beers
Ear New Zulland - an extinct airline
beers - large savage animals found in U.S. forests
veerjun - mythical New Zealand maiden
one doze - well known computer program
brudge - structure spanning a stream
sex - one less then sivven
tin - one more then nine
iggs ecktly - precisely
cuds - children
cuttin - baby cat
sivven sucks sivven - large Boeing aircraft
sivven four sivven - larger Boeing aircraft
earplane - large flying marchine
beggage chucken - place to leave your suitcase at the earport

You taking the pess or phat?

Kiwi
thebears is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2006, 12:36 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Raumati South
Posts: 34
leedge has a spectacular aura aboutleedge has a spectacular aura aboutleedge has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: how to speak new zulander

Originally Posted by thebears
You taking the pess or phat?

Kiwi
Try this dictionary http://www.chemistry.co.nz/kiwi.htm
leedge is offline  
Old Aug 27th 2006, 7:21 am
  #5  
Member of Mumo-land
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: DownUnder
Posts: 771
mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: how to speak new zulander

My OH likes it when they ask if they can sit on his 'dick'.
mumomonty is offline  
Old Aug 27th 2006, 9:14 am
  #6  
 
P18PPS's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 962
P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how to speak new zulander

Unless I'm mistaken, you've missed out the very popular kiwi friday night supper of "fush and chaps)..
P18PPS is offline  
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:38 am
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Porirua, Wellington, NZ
Posts: 645
donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: how to speak new zulander

I'm going to print this thread off for the kids -

My daughter (who is really good at spelling) couldn't understand why she hadn't got her spelling test right - until she realised that a "fince" was actually spelt fence.
My son almost got expelled when he had finished a page of work and asked if he could have another sheet.

Also lost in translation was the conversation between my daughter and her new best (kiwi) friend:
friend - "do you want to share my chips" ie crisps to us Brits
daughter (enviously) - have you got chips in your lunch box?
friend (puzzled) - yes
daughter (enviously) - are they hot?
friend (puzzled) - no
daughter (disgusted) - no thanks!!!

donnaf is offline  
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:42 am
  #8  
conquering the world!
 
karonious's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Puatahanui, Porirua
Posts: 4,905
karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how to speak new zulander

i thought one of my Kiwi colleagues was being very disparaging towards us UK peeps when he referred to 'silly britties'. I had to ask him twice before I realised he was in fact saying 'celebrities!'
karonious is offline  
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:44 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
poppets's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: waikanae
Posts: 4,148
poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how to speak new zulander

Originally Posted by donnaf View Post
I'm going to print this thread off for the kids -

My daughter (who is really good at spelling) couldn't understand why she hadn't got her spelling test right - until she realised that a "fince" was actually spelt fence.
My son almost got expelled when he had finished a page of work and asked if he could have another sheet.

Also lost in translation was the conversation between my daughter and her new best (kiwi) friend:
friend - "do you want to share my chips" ie crisps to us Brits
daughter (enviously) - have you got chips in your lunch box?
friend (puzzled) - yes
daughter (enviously) - are they hot?
friend (puzzled) - no
daughter (disgusted) - no thanks!!!


bless her
poppets is offline  
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:33 am
  #10  
Newbie
 
JakeG's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: UK ... Waiheke Island sometime in 2007
Posts: 32
JakeG is on a distinguished road
Default Re: how to speak new zulander

Originally Posted by mumomonty View Post
My OH likes it when they ask if they can sit on his 'dick'.
This one always makes me laugh....... I think it was Mitre10 who used to (may still do) an advert on tv which used to go along the lines of

"get youself down here and get everything you need to build yourself a big DICK!"

Used to crease me up every time.
JakeG is offline  
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:27 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 89
orca05 will become famous soon enoughorca05 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: how to speak new zulander

Originally Posted by thebears View Post
You taking the pess or phat?

Kiwi
I had to laugh ands showed it to my kiwi pal who thought it was so funny.
It is so true!!!!
orca05 is offline  
Old Mar 4th 2007, 11:30 am
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
 
helinuk's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,389
helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how to speak new zulander

I printed this off last time you posted it and I still have trouble understanding the kiwi accent! I found the lady at NZIS difficult to understand - had to get her to repeat herself a lot! We recently phoned the drama school in Welly to talk about daughter going there, boy it was hard to understand over the phone!
IMO more difficult than Aussie accent.
helinuk is offline  
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:01 pm
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 41
Lplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really nice
Default Re: how to speak new zulander

My sons teacher asked us if he had problems with his hearing as when she spoke to him he just looked at her blankly. She hadn't considered that the poor boy just couldnt understand a word of her New Zealand accent!
Lplate kiwis x4 is offline  
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:10 pm
  #14  
Maz
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 5,763
Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how to speak new zulander

Originally Posted by Lplate kiwis x4 View Post
My sons teacher asked us if he had problems with his hearing as when she spoke to him he just looked at her blankly. She hadn't considered that the poor boy just couldnt understand a word of her New Zealand accent!
That's too funny!
Maz is offline  
Old Mar 4th 2007, 10:27 pm
  #15  
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 536
Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: how to speak new zulander

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky View Post
Been a while since I last posted this.... always good for a giggle....

How to Speak New Zulander
(for bist effict, rid these out aloud)

Milburn - capital of Victoria
Peck - to fill a suitcase
pissed aside - chemical which kills insects
pigs - for hanging out washing with
pug - large pink animal with a curly tail
nin tin dough - computer game
munnwe stroney - soup
min- male of the species
mess kara - eye makeup
mcKennock - person who fixes cars
Mere - Mayor
leather - foam produced from soap
lift - departed
Kiri Pecker - famous Australian businessman
kittle crusps - potato chips
Ken's - Cairns
jungle bills - Christmas carol
inner me - enemy
guess - vapour
fush - marine creature
fitter cheney - type of pasta
ever cardeau - avocado
fear hear - blonde
ear - mix of nitrogen and oxygen
ear roebucks - exercise at gym
duffy cult - not easy
amejen - visualise
chuck - very young poultry
bug hut - popular recording
bun button - been bitten by insect
beard - a place to sleep
sucks peck - half a dozen beers
Ear New Zulland - an extinct airline
beers - large savage animals found in U.S. forests
veerjun - mythical New Zealand maiden
one doze - well known computer program
brudge - structure spanning a stream
sex - one less then sivven
tin - one more then nine
iggs ecktly - precisely
cuds - children
cuttin - baby cat
sivven sucks sivven - large Boeing aircraft
sivven four sivven - larger Boeing aircraft
earplane - large flying marchine
beggage chucken - place to leave your suitcase at the earport
what a fantastic thread

and sooooo true!

karma to you (wouldn't let me leave you karma...sorry)

Last edited by Mandie; Mar 4th 2007 at 10:31 pm. Reason: BE wouldn't let me give karma (oh dear that sounds like a sex act...oh er)
Mandie is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.