Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How to settle into NZ life?

How to settle into NZ life?

Old Jan 13th 2015, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

penelopelee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How to settle into NZ life?

Thank you all so much for your advise and words of encouragement - I can't tell you how much it all means to me! For those who have asked questions - we are living in Whitby currently, and don't have any children (though do love kids).

My husband was a truck driver in the UK, so will be looking for similar work here. He has a class 2 UK licence, which I believe is a class 4 here. I think one of the challenging things is that a lot of driving jobs seems to require an owner/operator, so in essence you are self employed and own your own truck. We obviously don't have this so he is looking for a job where he is employed directly to a company.

Dannigirl, I want to thank you so much for your post. When I read it, it sort of sounded like a future version of me! My husband and I were talking the other day, and debating whether we should move back and I said to him that I don't want to discover moving back was a mistake after doing it - that would put us in an even worse place! We have agreed to stick it out for at least 6 months without making any decisions, and when we get to the 6 month mark, I am hoping we will be in a better place mentally, though I know there are still lots more ups and downs to come.

My husband is really into outdoor things like mountain biking, and roller blading. We are just waiting for our shipping to arrive (should be in about a month) and then we will have our bikes back, and are planning on joining clubs etc. He is also quite social, and is keen to go out for drinks, dinner etc. This happens a lot in the UK, and we have noticed people in NZ do it less, so keen to start doing that also (just waiting for payday, which is this week, woohoo!!!!)

Thank you all for your words of encouragement, it is really helpful!!!!
Old Jan 14th 2015, 12:23 am
Just Joined

RichieRich80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well looks like I've got my first interview tomorrow, I am Penelope's OH by the way. Thanks for the advise and we are only in Whitby so been keen to meet people from Wellington area from back home and kiwi's too.

Last edited by RichieRich80; Jan 14th 2015 at 12:28 am.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 12:43 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penelopelee
Thanks for all the help and tips so far. I have now joined Meetup and am hoping to meet some people through some of the groups.

Snap shot, I'm really sorry to hear your story, I wish it was a better experience for you.

I am really trying to stay positive, so would love to hear any positive stories from anyone. Moving2NZ2013, yes, we arrived last month. I know it is really early, but some days it is hard to understand why you left a life you were comfortable in and put yourself into a position where you feel unsettled and out of place. My husband feels like a fish out of water, espeically with the sense of humour thing you have mentioned!

Bevs and TommyLuck, thanks for the encouragement. I have to keep reminding myself it is just early days, and things will improve. Some days you want to admit defeat, and go back to the UK, but I still feel in the long run NZ is a better option for us.

I will keep thinking positive, I am sure things will improve!
There are day...like today I could wimp out and run back to the uk. But I'm looking at the uk with rose tinted glasses. I wouldn't actually like being back there. I'd be back in the same rat race as we were before.
It was easier for us than most because we had nothing in uk.apart from family which wee weren't all that close to anyway. We were prepared for it to be v tough here and it's been tough but no where near as bad as we thought.
My husband works 45-70 hour weeks compared to up to 120 hours aweek.
He is in the busy season and has had the last 4 weekends off
So time with out lil family out weighs any desire to go back.
But yes I get why people leave. But Iv met 5 people who went back to uk to then come back here!

It's been a tough year and admittedly I haven't really laughed
Think I need to lighten up and not take life to serious. And get some expats around to get wasted lol.

We have moved into a lovely home that we will rent until we buy in a few years, no rush though. And that has really helped us settle. Iv only felt more settled in the last 2 weeks. And haven't cried about uk and family in over a week

Find some expats to talk to. They will get you. Us british folk love a good moan. Which tbh you can't do with a kiwi. My kiwi friends tell me shut up hehe

Last edited by moving2NZ2013; Jan 14th 2015 at 12:46 am.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moving2NZ2013
There are day...like today I could wimp out and run back to the uk. But I'm looking at the uk with rose tinted glasses. I wouldn't actually like being back there. I'd be back in the same rat race as we were before.
It was easier for us than most because we had nothing in uk.apart from family which wee weren't all that close to anyway. We were prepared for it to be v tough here and it's been tough but no where near as bad as we thought.
My husband works 45-70 hour weeks compared to up to 120 hours aweek.
He is in the busy season and has had the last 4 weekends off
So time with out lil family out weighs any desire to go back.
But yes I get why people leave. But Iv met 5 people who went back to uk to then come back here!

It's been a tough year and admittedly I haven't really laughed
Think I need to lighten up and not take life to serious. And get some expats around to get wasted lol.

We have moved into a lovely home that we will rent until we buy in a few years, no rush though. And that has really helped us settle. Iv only felt more settled in the last 2 weeks. And haven't cried about uk and family in over a week

Find some expats to talk to. They will get you. Us british folk love a good moan. Which tbh you can't do with a kiwi. My kiwi friends tell me shut up hehe
Go on a moaning crusade about the 1kmh enforcement and the standard of driving in this country

You'll soon get them enjoying your rants and will not even think about telling you to shut up

But you must mention tourists when going on about the standards. If mention Kiwis, it depends who your friends are.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 2:55 am
Just Joined

Us Brit's like moaning that's the long and short of it.

I know a guy who moans so much he's forgotten he has his own nice house, a brand new cars and secure job.

The only thing he is lacking is a woman, although he's gone through 3 inflatable one's, none were to his taste.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 3:01 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Richie, good luck with the interview
Old Jan 14th 2015, 3:03 am
Just Joined

Hi Thanks, I've got another company also interested in hiring me as well so it is going much better, I've only really been looking this week so can't expect too much.

Are you still up in Waikanae? I think I spelt that right and I didn't look it up lol
Old Jan 14th 2015, 3:07 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

yep, moved here in April last year from a smaller area which we lived in for 2 years from when we arrived, I won't slag off on here but parochial really doesn't cover it. starting to feel like I might be able to relax a little about things
Old Jan 14th 2015, 3:10 am
Just Joined

Yes I've noticed these small towns - well blow me down with a feather, it is like stepping back into the 1890's wouldn't even consider living in a place like that, your soul would slowly vanish until you were left wondering what you did with your life. You have to live somewhere with some kind of vibrancy that is for sure.

Wellington is not a bad city I feel, just enough of a vibe to keep you interested I think and got a nice feel to it.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 3:12 am
Just Joined

I notice the 01245 number - this is my home town or city, don't say your from Chelmsford too Mrs F?

Last edited by RichieRich80; Jan 14th 2015 at 3:23 am.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 3:37 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moving2NZ2013
. I'd be back in the same rat race as we were before.
I'm cleaning my whiskers in preparation for a potential return. Let me at it !
Old Jan 14th 2015, 3:40 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichieRich80
Yes I've noticed these small towns - well blow me down with a feather, it is like stepping back into the 1890's wouldn't even consider living in a place like that, your soul would slowly vanish until you were left wondering what you did with your life. You have to live somewhere with some kind of vibrancy that is for sure.

Wellington is not a bad city I feel, just enough of a vibe to keep you interested I think and got a nice feel to it.
I live in a small town. I get what you mean lol although quite enjoying it for now.

Re: rat race I'll back to dip my toe in the race at some point
Old Jan 14th 2015, 3:52 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichieRich80
Hi Thanks, I've got another company also interested in hiring me as well so it is going much better, I've only really been looking this week so can't expect too much.

Are you still up in Waikanae? I think I spelt that right and I didn't look it up lol
Good luck with your interviews, hope it goes well and you get the result you want.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 6:44 am

the phone number in my signature is a cheap rate call to NZ house, by passes the pound a minute switch but still takes you direct to the call centre. no we are from the Kent/SE London borders.

our move here in NZ was just 25K North but difference is worlds apart. we hurried into buying thinking it wold help us settle but my advise would be to anyone coming over take at least 2 years before you decide if you actually like the area as cracks may start to show after the first year, then give yourself a year to see if they can be fixed if not then move on.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

eThanks for all the replies, I got offered the job I went for this morning working for a big company so well pleased with that. So we've both got decent jobs, just been here over a month, so that's not bad going at all.

Last edited by RichieRich80; Jan 14th 2015 at 10:07 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.