Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How safe will the kids be????????

How safe will the kids be????????

Old May 11th 2007, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking How safe will the kids be????????

I have just opened our local paper to see a small (and I mean SMALL) write up on a cleaner at the local swimming pool who was taking photo's of the kids.

Now, before anyone thinks I am stupid, I am quite aware that these predators are all over the world. But what I want to know is what checks are done on people working with children in New Zealand?

We smack the wrists of the dirty filth here, not in all cases, but quite the majority.

Sorry if this thread offends but it is something that really plays on my mind, and on most parents I can imagine.

kato33
Old May 11th 2007, 4:38 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How safe will the kids be????????

Originally Posted by kato33
I have just opened our local paper to see a small (and I mean SMALL) write up on a cleaner at the local swimming pool who was taking photo's of the kids.

Now, before anyone thinks I am stupid, I am quite aware that these predators are all over the world. But what I want to know is what checks are done on people working with children in New Zealand?

We smack the wrists of the dirty filth here, not in all cases, but quite the majority.

Sorry if this thread offends but it is something that really plays on my mind, and on most parents I can imagine.

kato33
Police vetting of applicants who apply for jobs that brings them into contact with children or other vulnerable people is standard practice in NZ, as it is in OZ and I'm sure the UK.

The problem occurs when someone is a 'cleanskin' (no prior charges or convictions relating to sexual or violent offending). No justice system or law enforcement agency is psychic.
Old May 12th 2007, 11:18 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kato33

kato33
I don't really know the full answer to your question, BUT I know from my friends in Auckland that parents helping out in schools (assisting on school outings/going in to help with reading etc etc) do not have to have enhanced CRB clearance that is required in our schools in the UK. In fact, from the 2 close friends that I have discussed this with, there are absolutely no checks required.

So in theory, there is less protection in NZ.

I was not even allowed to go and see my reception year child at school on her 5th birthday in the UK, because I did not have my clearance and without it, they will not let you be in the school. It was difficult, because she (being the eldest) was upset at going to school on her birthday (if I'd known beforehand I may have even taken her out for the day ) BUT ultimately her/their safety comes first, and these checks assist with that.

NZ is much more relaxed and laid back and I think this is an area in which this is true also. So sadly in this case, I think it is a question of taking the good with the bad?

Incidentally, one of the parents mentioned above, at a private school on the North Shore, let me know that seat belts were not worn on a coach trip she went on as a parent helper. The children were also bundled 3 across a set of 2 seats on the bus as there weren't enough seats. She, coming from extreme PC safety UK, was horrified! The teachers found it quite amusing!
Old May 13th 2007, 9:24 am
Clear sighted member

tootsie will become famous soon enough

Parents were allowed to go to school camp as helpers at both of the schools my kids were at without any vetting whatsoever. (Mind you kids the kids were probably far more at risk from lack of adult supervision than anything else)

After a while you sort of get used to the lack of "nannying" that goes on in the UK. Perception of risk is very poor in NZ and it's rarely taken seriously.

Knowing this when my daughter did a school trip to Vanuatu a few years back I went along to help and to make sure she was safe.

One night most of the parent helpers and staff were living it up in the karaoke bar whilst the kids just wandered around the hotel complex in the dark and mucked around on the bridge over the swimming pool .

NZ School camps though are legendary for "life experiences"

Last edited by tootsie; May 13th 2007 at 9:26 am.
Old May 13th 2007, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

My 3 year old son has just started afternoon kindy in the next village. There are only 2 teachers for 30 kids.... so they rely on parent helpers for every session. Each parent is supposed to do at least 3 sessions every term. I did one day last week and had to take my baby with me....it was pretty good fun and I enjoyed it so I'm going to do a session this week too. The kids just see you as another teacher but we certainly dont have the training and checks that the teachers have had.

I'm still amazed that there are woodworking benches with real tools here at the PlayCentres and Kindys, so any age child can play with them. All the English mums think its a bit crazy but its just the norm here.
Old May 13th 2007, 9:41 am
Clear sighted member

tootsie will become famous soon enough

Yes, I've heard that about the tools as well. Guess it teaches kids to be careful but talk about learning the hard way!! hate to think what the statistics on childhood injury are like
Old May 13th 2007, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tootsie
Yes, I've heard that about the tools as well. Guess it teaches kids to be careful but talk about learning the hard way!! hate to think what the statistics on childhood injury are like
When asked they said theyve never had any injuries with the woodworking tools! I'm pleased my little lad doesnt really like playing with them. I think the kiwi mothers tend to think that we are a bit overprotective with out kids. Some houses in our village dont have gates on the gardens.... I see what looks like 3 year olds playing on the grass verges next to the roads. I couldnt allow that myself. The first thing I made my OH do when we bought this house was find the old gates, repair them, toddler-proof them and get them hung before we moved in. I also see tiny little kids (5 year olds) walking home from school by themselves.
Old May 13th 2007, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tootsie
From Accident Compensation Corporation Website:-

It’s a chilling thought New Zealand’s rate of child death due to injury is one of the highest for developed countries.

Every year over 10,000 New Zealand children are injured so badly they are admitted to hospital.

Our children are twice as likely to die through injury as children who live in Australia and three times as likely as a child from England or Wales.

Children spend much of their time at home, which is where many injuries occur. Many of these injuries can be predicted and therefore prevented.
Old May 13th 2007, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

CharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really nice

Originally Posted by SarahB
When asked they said theyve never had any injuries with the woodworking tools! I'm pleased my little lad doesnt really like playing with them. I think the kiwi mothers tend to think that we are a bit overprotective with out kids. Some houses in our village dont have gates on the gardens.... I see what looks like 3 year olds playing on the grass verges next to the roads. I couldnt allow that myself. The first thing I made my OH do when we bought this house was find the old gates, repair them, toddler-proof them and get them hung before we moved in. I also see tiny little kids (5 year olds) walking home from school by themselves.
One of the main reasons I am looking forward to moving to NZ is the chance for my son to have a normal childhood. I was brought up in the North of Scotland (turn left at the a**e end of nowhere and keep going for a few extra miles )and I would like my son to have the same chance to have the freedoms I did as a kid. That included walking to school on my own as a 5 year old (with I was later told my mother following along behind trying to make sure she wasn't spotted by me), and running loose in the fields behind our house. Unfortunately living in Kent the chance of doing either of these things is very limited! So far this series of stories just reinforces my idea that NZ may be the right place for me. Although saying that I won't be living near Auckland, and even I draw the line at a three year old playing next to the road!
Old May 13th 2007, 5:43 pm

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
From Accident Compensation Corporation Website:-

It’s a chilling thought New Zealand’s rate of child death due to injury is one of the highest for developed countries.

Every year over 10,000 New Zealand children are injured so badly they are admitted to hospital.

Our children are twice as likely to die through injury as children who live in Australia and three times as likely as a child from England or Wales.

Children spend much of their time at home, which is where many injuries occur. Many of these injuries can be predicted and therefore prevented.
That's really bad. As parents, you need to know your children are going to be well looked after and safe in a school or camp environment, when loco parentis applies. At home, it's a different matter, since parental choice determines (safety) boundaries.

But the tale above (earlier post) about kids mucking around near water is just completely irresponsible. What if a (serious) accident happened? Water is an obvious danger, so could argueably be considered more 'negligence' than 'accident'
Old May 13th 2007, 5:59 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
That's really bad. As parents, you need to know your children are going to be well looked after and safe in a school or camp environment, when loco parentis applies. At home, it's a different matter, since parental choice determines (safety) boundaries.

But the tale above (earlier post) about kids mucking around near water is just completely irresponsible. What if a (serious) accident happened? Water is an obvious danger, so could argueably be considered more 'negligence' than 'accident'
I'm not sure (judging by your reply) you realised that the post about injured kids going to hospital is referring to violent physical abuse of the child , in it's home, committed by parents/siblings/caregivers. It does not refer to outside influences.
Old May 13th 2007, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

justinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to all

Christ almighty - It's called growing up - if you're frightened of them falling in the water teach them to swim.
One of the attrections of NZ is that it doesn't suffer from all this PC bollox (yet).

Last edited by justinthyme; May 13th 2007 at 6:14 pm.
Old May 13th 2007, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
I'm not sure (judging by your reply) you realised that the post about injured kids going to hospital is referring to violent physical abuse of the child , in it's home, committed by parents/siblings/caregivers. It does not refer to outside influences.

No I didn't. I thought it was related to accidents of safety, as you may have gathered!
Old May 13th 2007, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by justinthyme
Christ - It's called growing up - if you're frightened of them falling in the water teach them to swim.
I think it depends on the situation. Children don't go looking for dangers and don't always act appropriately when in a dangerous situation. And that's fine, they're kids and yes, they learn lessons that teach them things.

But if your child drowned on a school trip (despite being able to swim! which most people who drown can fyi) and you found out that the teachers were all getting pissed in the bar, would you still take the 'oh well, lesson learnt' approach. I very much doubt it.
Old May 13th 2007, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

justinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to all

I think it depends on the situation. Children don't go looking for dangers and don't always act appropriately when in a dangerous situation. And that's fine, they're kids and yes, they learn lessons that teach them things.

But if your child drowned on a school trip (despite being able to swim! which most people who drown can fyi) and you found out that the teachers were all getting pissed in the bar, would you still take the 'oh well, lesson learnt' approach. I very much doubt it.
In the good old non PC days the kids were in the bar getting pissed with the teachers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.