Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How to rent a house ?

How to rent a house ?

Old Mar 15th 2009, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Wellsy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How to rent a house ?

Hi this has probably been posted hundreds of times before, but I am new to all of this so sorry.......
I will be moving out to the Wellington area in August and was just wondering how do I arrange a house rental before I get there !!
We are looking to live on the Kapiti coast but all I can find on the web is properties looking like sheds:
Are they all like this or am I not looking in the right area ?
any ideas ?

Cheers Wellsy :
Old Mar 15th 2009, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Pinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nice
Default Re: How to rent a house ?

Hi Wellsy,

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was advised to rent a motel room or holiday home for the first month, and look at long term rentals once you arrive, as photos are very misleading and you can't judge the area online.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: How to rent a house ?

Great nice one I would have never thought of that one I will have a quick look
Thanks Wellsy........
Old Mar 15th 2009, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi we arrived in Auckland, three weeks ago, I would rent a holiday home or a short term lease for the first month. It has taken us the last three weeks to find a rental, pictures look lovely on internet but when you do a driveby it is totally different. When friends recommended doing driveby's I thought that they where mad, but it is well worth it. It have done at least 50 driveby's and viewed 4. The one that we both liked was out of our price range but we offered $100 per week less, it took over a week for them to accept our offer, cant wait we collect keys Wednesday and contents of our container gets delivered the same day. It is about a 2 minute walk to the beach.

I cant comment on area, because we are based on the North Island.

Good luck
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Trenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to all

Err, you are going to find the process a bit different to the UK, if the Kapiti (Maori for shed, by the way )coast is anything like Auckland. In an email home I wrote this of the process we went through..

The housing market here, like the UK, is about as screwed as the hooker that unwisely ran a two-for-one the day the high seas fleet came back in to port after six months of manoeuvres. Buying therefore not being on the agenda (yet) we resolved to rent. Now, we all know that estate agents are the lowest form of pond life on the planet; inferior even to politicians, traffic wardens, tax inspectors and Australian cricketers. But in NZ ‘realtors’ have turned being pr!cks in to an art form.

Only estate agents, in a market on it’s knees, gasping for breath and begging you to dial 111 (999), could behave as though you, a potential client, were something unpleasantly canine they had found on their shoe. So at first we were surprised when we made appointments to view houses only to arrive to find the agent had arranged to simultaneously show one, sometimes two and even three other families around. Then when you decide you have found the house you want to rent, rather than an egalitarian ‘first come first served’, the landlord decides which of their potential tenants they will rent to, aided, no doubt, by the realtors’ comments about the potential tenants.

I think at one point we were waiting on 3 simultaneous offers to rent. At first we naively thought we'd make an offer and soon thereafter the landlord or estate agent would come back and say yes. We didn't realise that when offering to rent the landlord could (and would) take days to consider the proposal like some kind of mystical Bedouin sheik debating how many camels his first born was worth.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Talking Re: How to rent a house ?

Hi guys thanks for your advice look like I will be in a holiday home until I do some drive-bys myself and find my rentable shed,,,,,,

Cheers.
Wellsy.......

Last edited by Wellsy; Mar 15th 2009 at 8:14 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

shoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Trenchfoot
Err, you are going to find the process a bit different to the UK, if the Kapiti (Maori for shed, by the way )coast is anything like Auckland. In an email home I wrote this of the process we went through..

The housing market here, like the UK, is about as screwed as the hooker that unwisely ran a two-for-one the day the high seas fleet came back in to port after six months of manoeuvres. Buying therefore not being on the agenda (yet) we resolved to rent. Now, we all know that estate agents are the lowest form of pond life on the planet; inferior even to politicians, traffic wardens, tax inspectors and Australian cricketers. But in NZ ‘realtors’ have turned being pr!cks in to an art form.

Only estate agents, in a market on it’s knees, gasping for breath and begging you to dial 111 (999), could behave as though you, a potential client, were something unpleasantly canine they had found on their shoe. So at first we were surprised when we made appointments to view houses only to arrive to find the agent had arranged to simultaneously show one, sometimes two and even three other families around. Then when you decide you have found the house you want to rent, rather than an egalitarian ‘first come first served’, the landlord decides which of their potential tenants they will rent to, aided, no doubt, by the realtors’ comments about the potential tenants.

I think at one point we were waiting on 3 simultaneous offers to rent. At first we naively thought we'd make an offer and soon thereafter the landlord or estate agent would come back and say yes. We didn't realise that when offering to rent the landlord could (and would) take days to consider the proposal like some kind of mystical Bedouin sheik debating how many camels his first born was worth.
I dont find this strange, perhaps because im originally from NZ, and have rented in NZ, OZ and UK - but I have rented out a property before in NZ. Like any investment you want to protect it, and that includes getting the right type of tenant - not only in financal terms but in character as well.

I know as I had one bad tenant, who after I had to get evicted for not paying rent for 4 months had to replace all the carpets, lino and get the house professionally clean and replaced blinds and although I was awarded costs by the tenancy tribunal, never saw a cent out of her, so yes it pays to be careful who you let rent your property to.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with all the other posters - move into a motel first. This will give you time to get aclimatised and decide where you really want to live. The Internet shows only the best and hides the worst points of any potential rental like the smell of damp etc. Much better to see them in the flesh and also the area that the rental is in. Good luck
Old Mar 17th 2009, 4:23 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trenchfoot

First - do not rent till you get here - 6-12 months is the standard time you have to rent for. If you want to move before then you'll have lease break conditions which although negotiable can be a right pain. So getting it wrong and you could be stuck for a while.

Second - if you can (and yes it is difficult) try to rent without using an agent. Pond Life is being kind ....at least pond life moves occasionally.....agents round here do sod all and expect you to pay for everything (I was once trying to rent a 4 bed house ideal for a family. When I asked the agent about school zones -very improtant here - she replied she didn't live in the area and didn't ahve kids....no but she was getting paid to provide exactly that kind of information!).

If you can, wait till you get here and ask around, at work, through other ex pats, at social events , sports clubs...the man down the pub ....you'll be surprised who you find is renting out their house. My current house I got of Trade Me and the owner landlord fixes stuff virtually straight away and is really nice to deal with.

Hope this helps

BTW - my mate tried to rent up at Paraparam and the agents were just AWFUL!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

Lightbulb Re: How to rent a house ?

Hi Wooly-cow
Thanks for that we have now decided to rent a holiday home and found one in Welly, just for three weeks and we hope that will give us time to find a half tidy rentable........
Thank-you to everyone else for your advise.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

MattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really nice

We used www.rentabach.co.nz and www.bookabach.co.nz to find somewhere for 2 weeks when we arrived - although looking back 4 weeks may have led to less pressure!

Oh, and BTW - Kapiti means "joining" or "boundary" in Māori - as it was the boundary between iwi IIRC
Old Apr 18th 2009, 3:45 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

I've read these posts and got madder and bloody madder. I am ALSO a Rrealestate Agent and I work my bloody socks off, always trying to do my best
I know there are some bad agents out there, but the majority of people I work with try and do the best they can for their clients. I know it may seem unpalatable to some of you but we too need to make a living and in my experience doing the best you can for your client is the best way!
You wont to try travelling 50km to meet a prospective buyer who doesn't turn up or even bother to phone to let you know they have changed their mind,:curse: or have to put up with phone calls TILL VERY LATE on a evening or when your about to sit down to have dinner with your husband who you haven't seen all day doing a contract that takes till passed 10am at night and you started at 7.30am
And this is just one of my jobs!!!

So trenchfoot think on its not just the agents that are pondlife, alot of the buyers and sellers I can come across would probably enjoy eating pondlife!!!!!!!!!
Regards Lin
Old Apr 18th 2009, 7:38 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Love em or hate em, the reality is, most home owners don't have time and/or knowledge to rent their own property so they use companies. Usually property management companies have the better properties. Private homeowners can be likely to pull a bit of a swifty, knowing that as a newbie, you might not be familiar with tenancy laws. The reality is, buyer beware. Familiarise yourself with the residential tenancies act. Know your rights and the homeowners. Once armed with this information, shop around. Negotiate rents and terms if you feel you're a worthy tenant - ultimately the market dictates the price of a home. Everyone views different suburbs differently What might suit you will not suit everyone else. Think that's an obvious statement? Try taking some recommendations on here on where to live and then go and look for yourself. No one will take an application from someone overseas anyway. Find a short term rental..trademe.co.nz or bookaback.co.nz or arrange a good weekly rent with a motel. Vital things you need to decide upon, fixed term agreement (much more common now, tie you in usually for six - twelve months) - hard to get out, but protect you from sale of property and rent changes. Or periodic - flexible with commitment from both sides. Also look at the department of building housing - search: Market rent. Just to have an idea. I saw a 4bedroom, 1 bathroom home listed for $800 per week in Whitby. Now come on, which sucker is going to pay that? The uninformed one!

The number you should memorise...0800 TENANCY.

The laws here are crystal and easy to learn. The people that get screwed over are the ignorant ones. Yes, if you have two dogs, chances are, you'll do it tough. But remember, this is someone else's home, not your own. In some cases, a larger deposit and a reference about the dog's nature (kennels, vets, etc) may aide in getting you in the door. No dogs, no kids, no problem!

Anyway, best of luck to you and yours
Old Apr 18th 2009, 7:40 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

As for what Trenchfoot said? One metaphor too many me thinks
Old Apr 18th 2009, 10:22 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Littletoe
Love em or hate em, the reality is, most home owners don't have time and/or knowledge to rent their own property so they use companies. Usually property management companies have the better properties. Private homeowners can be likely to pull a bit of a swifty, knowing that as a newbie, you might not be familiar with tenancy laws. The reality is, buyer beware. Familiarise yourself with the residential tenancies act. Know your rights and the homeowners. Once armed with this information, shop around. Negotiate rents and terms if you feel you're a worthy tenant - ultimately the market dictates the price of a home. Everyone views different suburbs differently What might suit you will not suit everyone else. Think that's an obvious statement? Try taking some recommendations on here on where to live and then go and look for yourself. No one will take an application from someone overseas anyway. Find a short term rental..trademe.co.nz or bookaback.co.nz or arrange a good weekly rent with a motel. Vital things you need to decide upon, fixed term agreement (much more common now, tie you in usually for six - twelve months) - hard to get out, but protect you from sale of property and rent changes. Or periodic - flexible with commitment from both sides. Also look at the department of building housing - search: Market rent. Just to have an idea. I saw a 4bedroom, 1 bathroom home listed for $800 per week in Whitby. Now come on, which sucker is going to pay that? The uninformed one!

The number you should memorise...0800 TENANCY.

The laws here are crystal and easy to learn. The people that get screwed over are the ignorant ones. Yes, if you have two dogs, chances are, you'll do it tough. But remember, this is someone else's home, not your own. In some cases, a larger deposit and a reference about the dog's nature (kennels, vets, etc) may aide in getting you in the door. No dogs, no kids, no problem!

Anyway, best of luck to you and yours
Hi just one more post on this!! you are quite right with regards to private landlords:curse: and what you have gone on to say... If I place an add at all looking for a home that will take dogs I get all sorts of stupid prices in all the shit locations(yes we have them too) but what is said to me if the clients are coming from the UK they have lots of money!! So I would like them to have it SO I CAN GET MORE and the cost is some times lots more then it should be for that location!! my reply is f... u.

As for the Agents the company I work for, does agreements all the time from overseas and even as my other job I have had no problems securing a home that allows dogs What you need to be saying IF I AM PAYING ALL THIS MONEY TO BRING MY PET TO NZ it is well behaved and the home you will be renting will be well cared for you will have to have the carpets cleaned when leaving.

Please have a look at www.tenancy.govt.nz/market-rent
This will help you how much RENT you should pay (lots of real estate people use this as a guide).
Also look at www.realestate.co.nz best of luck
Lin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.