Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How is New Zealand better than England?

How is New Zealand better than England?

Old Jun 24th 2007, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

bro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud of
Default Re: How is New Zealand better than England?

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Good Stuff

1. Better Climate (14deg here yesterday and snow in the valley!!)
2. Not so much pressure on the kids
3. Don't have to keep up with the Jones's
4. More time together as a family
5. More time spent outdoors, not in front of TV, computer etc

Bad Stuff
1. Miss people badly although webcam helps
2. Not the selection of goods available and quality can vary greatly
3. Geography of NZ means that you can feel isolated at times
4. The insulation/heating issue can be a problem although it is improving
5. Making kiwi friends takes time esp if you don't work.
Good,

Relaxed Lifestyle, no big commute to work less stressful atmosphere at work and when you get home you can go out to the beach or for a walk in the hills, this is most places in NZ.

Not too disimilar to the UK in a lot of ways, not a huge culture shock, yes does take time to adjust but they all speak English, the food is similar etc.

Bad

Things seem more expensive, especially goods but not if you continually convert back to what it would cost you sterling, really bad habit, you need top get out of.

Miss just being able to go to the pub and knowing there will be some people I can go for a drink with.

Long way to go home for a visit, by the time you go there and back you need a holiday.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 8:38 pm
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by reecefam
Hi,
I have been offered a job in New Zealand but the more i look on the various ex pat web sites, i am not sure why people have moved!
We have two girls, aged 11 & 8.
Can you tell me say 5 things, where New Zealand is a lot better place to live than England and may be 5 things, which you miss from England?
Maybe i am getting nervous but i see more people moaning than saying they made the right decision by moving!
PLEASE help!
Martin
- lot better first

* less crowded
* great coffee
* very safe normally
* I would say better weather but where i live is similar to the south-west (christchurch uk) but windy
* ok now im struggling - ok thought of one : can do attitude of kiwis!

- things I miss

* friends, family, humor, banter etc
* pubs
* closeness of Europe
* good newspapers (but not really a prob with internet i suppose)
* the vibrancy of the cities.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

dicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nice

How is NZ better than England? It's not, it's just different! It's what you make of it IMHO.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 9:20 pm
patience...is a virtue!!!

reecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant future

Great...i appreciate your feedbacks...as England, live is what you make it!
Old Jun 24th 2007, 10:59 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

G'Day Reecefam and welcome to this board.

there are a lot of negative views on here...and i was looking for confirmation of some positives!
but i see more people moaning than saying they made the right decision by moving
Not true my friend. Maybe your eye is catching the less enthusiastic posts on various topics, rather than seeing the more rapturous posts. This board tends to have a good mix of people with all manner of views. It's very balanced and realistic which is what a family coming out needs. It's members offer great support and information.

Do you have PR yet or are you just starting out with that process? How close are you to arriving? I'm sure you'll find everyone here very welcoming , helpful and supportive.

Where is your job offer ? You still haven't said. --- edited -- answered my own question . It's Auckland LOL....

People that actually live where your job offer is [ Auckland] may then let you know how life is for them.

Just as in the U.K. each area of NZ has it's own charactor, weather and lifestyle.

We would be renting a house for around $500 a week and there is four of us.
Obviously do not know what cost of living etc. is like compared to here so do not know what a good salary is!
With regard to salary, once again, it depends where you are going to settle.
Better to post up what NZ salary you have been offered here and where that job offer is.
I see you have a rental lined up at $500 bucks a week. Where is it ?
cost of living will again depend on where in NZ you will settle. Same as in the UK.

So £30k here...would be worth what in New Zealand to get the same sort of living?
Not comparable. Too many variables. $80K pa would get you more in Invercargill than it would in Auckalnd for instance.

I was aiming to look at Northland, as properties were cheaper than in Auckland and the climate looked good!
Not sure I understand this. Is your job offer in Auckland then or is it in Northland?
...edited..... I see from previous posts it is Auckland.

happynz
I think if you get stuck into a dualistic mindset of naming A as being better than B then you are going to run into some traps. Life isn't static and what may be an advantage at one time may prove to be a hindrance later. That's life, eh? Suffice to say that there are some universal human commonalities in both places and there are some differences in how folks approach the environment in which they live. Your own efforts and attitudes will determine if the move to New Zealand is for you or not.
Good post

I don't think anyone listing 5 things about NZ or UK is going to help your nerves Reecefam.
New Zealand isn't better than the UK. It's simply different.

Bung us over details about your job offer and where you will be living and that will give us all a better chance to help and support you through your nerves.
As you have sorted out a rental already, someone may know the area and about schools etc. You never know.

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 25th 2007 at 5:14 am. Reason: found the job offer is Auckland...........
Old Jun 24th 2007, 11:42 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoyed life in the UK - (we moved around a lot as Steve was in the RAF) - I enjoy life here. To my mind, this move was about embarking on the biggest adventure of our lives: to have the gumption to get up and do something so different that we would even find getting up in the morning for work to be less of a chore. We moved here last October with our then 10 year old daughter and I regret very little so far. I miss my family and friends but it is more of a wistful thing than a deep down overwhelming homesickness. And I really feel for those who do suffer from it: it is not something I would wish on anybody.

We never owned a house in Britain, we now own our very first house. One of my favorite pastimes is lying in my hammock in the summer, watching the sky and listening to the cidadas - it brings me such a feeling of joy, contentment and satisfaction with my life, it nearly moves me to tears.
I enjoy my work - the same job I did in the UK (forensic nurse). I find the work-load less and I still have the opportunity to do overtime if I want to.
Schooling seems pretty much the same. Melissa was never a particularly extrovert child but since being here, she has been busking to raise funds for the SPCA!
I find it more multi-cultural here than anywhere I have ever lived and that is an observation, not a criticism. It does feel a bit strange to be the immigrant but I can honestly say that none of us have had racist comments made to us and I haven't heard any made about others.
I find the weather to be better than anywhere I have lived in the UK.

If you have the time and the inclination, you are very welcome to read my blog - the earlier stuff in particular may convey more of our initial feelings and thoughts on our move.
So, I don't really think about better or worse, just different, which is what we came here for.
Karen B
Old Jun 25th 2007, 12:18 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

A better question to ask is why you want to leave the UK and how you think NZ can meet what the UK doesn't seem to give you.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
I'm not British so I can't compare New Zealand to the UK

I say old chap this forum is called BritishExpats - no interlopers please!!

However I see on your profile that you like cricket not British and like cricket - must be mad - or Australian?
Old Jun 25th 2007, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reecefam
Hi,
I have been offered a job in New Zealand but the more i look on the various ex pat web sites, i am not sure why people have moved!
We have two girls, aged 11 & 8.
Can you tell me say 5 things, where New Zealand is a lot better place to live than England and may be 5 things, which you miss from England?
Maybe i am getting nervous but i see more people moaning than saying they made the right decision by moving!
PLEASE help!
Martin
Its way less crowded if you live away from somewhere huge like Auckland.

The beaches are mostly empty, 365 days a year and you can park for free in most cases when y'all get there.

Far less people..only 4 million sharing the same land mass as opposed to 60 odd million in the UK.

More laid back, kids don't give a stuff about the 'right trainers'..infact most of them are barefooted.

Kids seem to be kids way longer here, less pressure for them it seems. a superlative country to grow up in...I wish I had!!

Its as far away from the UK as we could get..that's quite good in its self he said with a wry smile.

I miss the depth of history in the UK.

The country side, english pubs...but not the prices!!!

Being close to europe.

Old sea side resorts like Polperro and the like.

I can live with all the above.

Here in NZ we have a lifestyle, quality of life, house and neighbourhood that we could only dream of in the UK. We work 50% less but we seem to be twice as well off. we live in a beautiful city with soooooooooooooooooo much more to do than we ever had in Northampton. NZ is far from perfect but it is our nirvana!!!!!!
Old Jun 25th 2007, 2:42 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Less people - that's it!
That also can be to its detriment.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with whoever said that it is what you make it and would add that you don't move here for $$$'s so if your idea of living here is living in a huge rich house centrally with a pool, being paid lots of money and hot weather then don't move to NZ, if however you like the outdoors, have a positive 'whynot & makedo' attitude and don't mind weather fluctuations and log fires, etc. then you may like/love it!

Personally i would come here on holiday but act like you live here (difficult i know but worthwhile) even work out your salary on a monthly/weekly basis, minus tax, etc. and see in the shops what you would normally buy every week costs, etc.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 3:41 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Woodlea
I say old chap this forum is called BritishExpats - no interlopers please!!

However I see on your profile that you like cricket not British and like cricket - must be mad - or Australian?
It's far worse than that. I'm not even Australian.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 5:01 am
patience...is a virtue!!!

reecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant future

Thanks for all the great replies.
I was offered a retail job in the South Island, about $70k a year, with car, but i have been holding out for a job with them in the North Island, either an hour South of Auckland or an hour North.
Looking at rentals, i said $500, as that seems like the average price, for a similar house we own here.
They are confident of finding me a suitable job up there but it has delayed the offer on paper.
They are an accredited employer with immigration, with a skill shortage, so i understand that helps with the Visa process.
I hope the above detail helps.
Thanks again.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

dicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nice

Originally Posted by Genesis
...we live in a beautiful city with soooooooooooooooooo much more to do than we ever had in Northampton.
Whaddayamean!! You had the Derngate, the Multiplex and bowling out near the new footy ground... You had all the speed cameras to dodge...and last but not least, you had MK only down the road with its fake Snowdome et al. I mean let's face it you don't get excitement like that here in New Zealand do you? lol

Rich
Old Jun 25th 2007, 6:05 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Friends of ours have had Visa problems since they arrived. The accredited job he had lined up fell through, and it's been a streessful time sorting it out.
Thankfully, they've hung in, and it's hopefully gonna be sorted soon.
If you can come with PR, do.

Things I like:
The fact that the news isn't full of scare tactics and terrorism
The lack of compo culture
The lack of soap operas
The lake
The mountains
The welcoming attitude of the bikers I've met so far
People will help you out
I own my house and don't need to chase money any more
More time with my wife
The give way rule
It's not near Europe
And if you want culture, meet my buddy from the North Shore

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.