Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How is New Zealand better than England?

How is New Zealand better than England?

Old Jun 25th 2007, 10:20 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is New Zealand better than England?

Originally Posted by Wilma & co
BUT I've seen so many rainbows in the last fortnight,
Good quality rainbows as well. There was a double rainbow that 'ended' in Wellington harbour.

I'd post a photo but then eveybody could work out exactly where I lived and an angry mob would descend with torches on my house at night...

(Right after the 'Wellies: IT expats in Wellington' meeting)
Old Jun 25th 2007, 10:35 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Avid
And as for this forum being too negative...hmmmmm....I think the very negative posters get warnings and bannings. I'd be amazed if anybody has been banned for being too positive!
Nope . The negative posters get slated by the positive posters and the positive posters are howled at by the negative posters. Both have a dedicated selection of set phrases to use against each other at any given moment .
It's a version of the pugil stick game & is only fun for those involved. It is not a bystander sport for the sane but the idle curious may stick around a while for a bit of a watch..

Bans, which can be for varying lengths, come from breaking the rules. Warnings may precede . They may not. As has been shown of late , it makes no difference if the offender pertains to the Positives or the Negatives corner. Breaking the rules is a boiling in oil [ could be slow or a fast fry depending on admin and mods mood] and then off with their registrations with a ghastly chop of a mouse click.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reecefam
Just got home from another hard boring day at work...and have really enjoyed reading your replies and i thank you all for taking the time and trouble to reply to me.
Just a big step and i would be leaving a lot behind...nice house, well paid job etc...but nothing ventured...nothing gained!!
We left an awsome house..alas in a crappy area, we left relatively well paid, good jobs too.

We now live in a FAR better house in what I would call the perfect neighbourhood, we are far better off financially than in the UK and work 50% less. He who dares....for once in my life I have made a decision that has REALLY improved virtually every aspect of my life. Our 3 small children are like pigs in clover. We think NZ is bloody marvellous...warts and all!!!!!!! Been here 26 months now and it just gets better.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

slippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for all the great replies.
I was offered a retail job in the South Island, about $70k a year, with car, but i have been holding out for a job with them in the North Island, either an hour South of Auckland or an hour North.
Looking at rentals, i said $500, as that seems like the average price, for a similar house we own here.
They are confident of finding me a suitable job up there but it has delayed the offer on paper.
They are an accredited employer with immigration, with a skill shortage, so i understand that helps with the Visa process.
I hope the above detail helps.
Thanks again.
Hello,
Your personal circumstances tend to determine if NZ will suit you or not. So while $70k with a car is a very good offer to a single person with little or no mortgage, the same deal for a family of 4 (with the wife not working) with say a $350,000 mortgage will make many ex-pats start missing the UK within 3 months or arriving here.
So, and I would hate to appear materialistic, if you have enough dollars in your wallet then NZ will satisfy most peoples needs. The same applies of course in the UK where pound notes are concerned, but when times are tough (and we all go through them) it is easier when you are not in a new country 12000 miles away from people that could have potentially helped you.
To me though, NZ just has a much nicer feel to it than England. Yes I miss the pubs, history, take aways, friends, family and the choice in the shops but NZ has so much to offer by way of compensation. The other day for example while taking an early evening stroll along my local deserted beach I saw some right whales just a few hundred yards out to sea, several seals that lazily raised there heads to look at me as I passed them and just as I was leaving for home 2 yellow eyed penguins emerged from the pacific ocean to take a well earned rest. And the whole experience didn’t cost me a penny.
Best of luck with your decision.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 5:26 am
patience...is a virtue!!!

reecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant future

Some really brilliant replies....thank for all your help...they really do help.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 5:44 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
...more sun in the winter months and it is warmer (at the same altitude and here up north of course!)
why the same altitude? do you live on a mountain or something?
Old Jun 26th 2007, 12:05 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
why the same altitude? do you live on a mountain or something?
oh, by "here up north" I meant N of AKL and by altitude I meant that as there are some quite hilly bits around then altitude makes quite a difference when it comes to the climate in a given latitude......does that make more sense???
also I still think NZ is more "rural" than the UK, by which I mean that the attitudes of folk and the organisation of the economy, commerce, and the way society works is more like a country that relies on its countryside to provide the driving force for the income rather than the cities. Hence NZ is more a West Virginia than a California, as the UK is more a California than a West Virginia. Hope that makes sense.....
This explains quite a bit for me - like the need for a 4x4, driving at 15, a standoffish attitude, the non-PC bit, etc, etc but then I was just a city dweller living in the country in the UK and I cant say that I truly understand country folks
Old Jun 27th 2007, 8:33 pm

reecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant future

SO....which part of the North Island is best for Schools etc?
Thanks
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

That's pretty subjective and no-one can really tell you as i'm sure no-one has experienced all schools in North Island.

Are you looking all over North Island now?

This tells you more about the schooling system in NZ http://www.minedu.govt.nz/index.cfm?...xparentid=2107

This tells you about the decile ratings for schools;

http://www.minedu.govt.nz/index.cfm?...xparentid=3963

This is where the schools' decile ratings can be found;

http://www.minedu.govt.nz/index.cfm?...id=6434&data=l

I would say that the decile rating won't tell you whether your child will do well in a school as it very much depends on more than that and I really would suggest (AGAIN!!!) that you come to NZ to actually see the places we are talking about!

Last edited by Rustie; Jun 27th 2007 at 10:48 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Apple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant future

SO....which part of the North Island is best for Schools etc?
Thanks
Don't forget that the North Island is roughly the size of England.
You wouldn't say "which part of England is best for schools?"!
You are asking an impossible question with this one

ETA NZ is roughly the geographical size of England - yes I know that the populations are slightly different

Last edited by Apple13; Jun 28th 2007 at 1:14 am.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 4:26 am

True Apple...but if i believed my Kids School was a good one, i would be able to say that to someone coming to England, or i could say the reverse if i thought they were poor.
So if i happen to get a job offer near to where someone has replied, i will be in a better position!
Old Jun 28th 2007, 4:29 am

Hi Rustie...thanks for the weblinks...if i did come to New Zealand, which would be ideal, i would never cover all the bits i needed to see or do in say a week, that i would have.
Working long hours here, does mean that i cant just go for a week or so, hence why i am trying to do some homework via this website!
Old Jun 28th 2007, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Apple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant future

So if i happen to get a job offer near to where someone has replied, i will be in a better position!
Yes, but how likely is that?! A cart before the horse question.
If you look at moving to a different part of the UK, you can settle on the area first, then wait for jobs to come up, then find schools close by. Or you can find a job somewhere, move to an area, then find a school close by.

Same applies here in NZ. Only 4.5 million people, but a land mass the same size as the UK.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:53 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by slippery
The other day for example while taking an early evening stroll along my local deserted beach I saw some right whales just a few hundred yards out to sea, several seals that lazily raised there heads to look at me as I passed them and just as I was leaving for home 2 yellow eyed penguins emerged from the pacific ocean to take a well earned rest. And the whole experience didn’t cost me a penny.
Best of luck with your decision.

best things in life are free. For me another great thing about NZ is the opportunites to really get out and appreciate Nature. The South Island has some incredible areas. I really recommend the hump ridge track in fiiordland if you get the chance. It was brilliant. Think of all the things you can do here : Skiiing, hiking, biking, mountaineering, tramping, surfing, it's all here, deserted beaches, wild inaccesible places where you won't see anybody.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 9:34 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
...wild inaccessible places where you won't see anybody.
Yup, and even the accessible areas are often deserted. New Zealand is great that way. You can get away from the external noise of everyday hum-drum life and soon enough quiet down the internal noise as well.

erm...does that make me sound kinda hippy-dippy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.