Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How is New Zealand better than England?

How is New Zealand better than England?

Old Jun 24th 2007, 4:21 pm
patience...is a virtue!!!

reecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant future
Default How is New Zealand better than England?

Hi,
I have been offered a job in New Zealand but the more i look on the various ex pat web sites, i am not sure why people have moved!
We have two girls, aged 11 & 8.
Can you tell me say 5 things, where New Zealand is a lot better place to live than England and may be 5 things, which you miss from England?
Maybe i am getting nervous but i see more people moaning than saying they made the right decision by moving!
PLEASE help!
Martin
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How is New Zealand better than England?

Hi Martin

Whereabouts is your job? Have you been to NZ?

We went on a recce and the country is completely different depending where you are and on which island. We are hoping to emigrate with our kids but visiting did help us decide where would suit us best.

Congratulations on the job offer.
Good luck
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:46 pm

reecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant future

Hi...no we have not been ourselves, just family who have been over there for holidays...and a lot of time spent on !
I like the look of the north island...and the weather!
What did you like/dislike about the country?
Martin
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

We liked everywhere (apart from Greymouth - hope I don't offend anyone here). But some bits were very isolated which is great for a holiday but not so great for bringing up kids.

We didn't do much of North Island. I liked Auckland but it was too big for us to live there. I loved Napier. I couldn't give you a balanced view of Wellington as the weather was bad when we were there which limited our sight-seeing.

We fancy Christchurch because the climate seems OK - not too extreme - and the size and culture of the place are similar to home. I'm applying for jobs like mad.

Good luck
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:56 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

I'm not British so I can't compare New Zealand to the UK. However, here are some things that I find attractive about New Zealand:

1. The countryside can be stunningly beautiful. You can be cruising along and it just strikes you, 'Damn, this place is gorgeous!'

2. Summers here (when they arrive) are very comfortable.

3. Heaps of fresh quality foods and if someone is halfway competent in the kitchen one can easily turn out some fabulous meals.

4. Less pressure on keeping up with the Joneses. No-one really cares if someone is driving the latest Range Rover or a beat up Toyota ute with 450,000kms.

5. Really crap TV so there is no temptation to become a couch potato.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:59 pm

Thank you both for your replies...i am just getting a little nervous!
I was aiming to look at Northland, as properties were cheaper than in Auckland and the climate looked good!
Do you guys not have Sat. TV over there?
Anyway of watching any Football games!!
Old Jun 24th 2007, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

SWALLOW2 has a spectacular aura aboutSWALLOW2 has a spectacular aura aboutSWALLOW2 has a spectacular aura about

Yes I can understand your nervousness as we are in a similar situation. There does appear a lot of moaning and not enough positive vibes. Would love to hear a few more positives! Good Luck.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 6:11 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Good Stuff

1. Better Climate (14deg here yesterday and snow in the valley!!)
2. Not so much pressure on the kids
3. Don't have to keep up with the Jones's
4. More time together as a family
5. More time spent outdoors, not in front of TV, computer etc

Bad Stuff
1. Miss people badly although webcam helps
2. Not the selection of goods available and quality can vary greatly
3. Geography of NZ means that you can feel isolated at times
4. The insulation/heating issue can be a problem although it is improving
5. Making kiwi friends takes time esp if you don't work.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 6:31 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by reecefam
Thank you both for your replies...i am just getting a little nervous!
I was aiming to look at Northland, as properties were cheaper than in Auckland and the climate looked good!
Do you guys not have Sat. TV over there?
Anyway of watching any Football games!!
There's twenty-four hours of broadcasting, just not that much worthwhile watching. As for watching football (I assume you mean something like soccer) you'd have to have SKY TV for that.

As for Northland, yes, there are less expensive properties there. It is also very attractive there. However, and it's depending on your skills of course, finding suitable well-paid employment might prove to be a challenge.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

justinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to all

Good:

1: Super Fishing
2: Super Boating
3: Less PC than the UK
Old Jun 24th 2007, 7:23 pm

Thanks...what would you say was a good salary then...to live ok in New Zealand.
We would be renting a house for around $500 a week and there is four of us.
Obviously do not know what cost of living etc. is like compared to here so do not know what a good salary is!
So £30k here...would be worth what in New Zealand to get the same sort of living?
Old Jun 24th 2007, 7:29 pm

I think if you get stuck into a dualistic mindset of naming A as being better than B then you are going to run into some traps. Life isn't static and what may be an advantage at one time may prove to be a hindrance later. That's life, eh? Suffice to say that there are some universal human commonalities in both places and there are some differences in how folks approach the environment in which they live. Your own efforts and attitudes will determine if the move to New Zealand is for you or not.

I will put away my ten cent philosophy primer now.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 7:48 pm

I quite agree happy...but there are a lot of negative views on here...and i was looking for confirmation of some positives!
Old Jun 24th 2007, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by reecefam
I quite agree happy...but there are a lot of negative views on here...and i was looking for confirmation of some positives!
Fair enough. OK, yesterday was an absolutely crackin' excellent beautiful winter's day here in Christchurch. Bright bright sunshine, 16 C and fairly mild breezes. To top it off my wife made an awesome chicken and saffron rice evening meal. It was a good day.

Old Jun 24th 2007, 8:01 pm

Sounds great...being in the South Island...i thought you guys had heavy frosts and snow!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.